Register now to get rid of these ads!

So What Do You Think Of This...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crafty, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Crafty

Crafty
    from UK

http://socalook.com/socalook.shtml

Not so much what the guy is advocating, more the way he does it...

The desire for the spirit of Hot Rods exists- perhaps even more so today than ever before. The popularity of the "rat rod" is testimony that young people covet the freedom of expression and rebellious attitude represented by the hot rod.

But there is a problem- a problem that keeps new enthusiasts from building a rod:

Hot rods are expensive to build and early original Fords to create them are rare.

Hot rods- open wheeled (or full fendered) modified Fords designed in the 30's and 40's are expensive-to build, to own and to maintain.

Today's hot rodder is typically middle aged or older. Now at a comfortable point in their life they fondly remember the cars of their youth. With the income to pursue their dreams it is not uncommon to spend $100,000. For the vast majority of enthusiasts however, a well built hot rod is beyond the reach of all but the most affluent.

As today's typical hot rodder ages....hot rods will gradually fade from the automotive scene-gathering dust in museums or in the collections of millionaires.

Demographic trends suggest that there will not be the influx of younger enthusiasts that can sustain this great hobby. Without the 18-40 year old buyers of parts and accessories the hot rod market will diminish in size. Some in the industry point to the import trend as the future of rodding- but it has yet to prove it has broad appeal beyond its urban ethnic base.

Perhaps there is a solution!

Early Volkswagen (type 1) cars are plentiful, cheap to buy and inexpensive to maintain. New and remanufactured parts are plentiful and ridiculously cheap.

The Volkswagen Beetle was designed in 1936 and is styled with many of the same shapes, surfaces and details found in cars of the same era.

After the small block Chevrolet there has been no other engine that has been modified as much or more speed parts built for as the air-cooled flat four.

With simple modifications the VW can be made to look like an early style hot rod....but at much less cost.

2. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

As someone who was heavily into VWs for years I think some of the bug based rods are great. Lots of inovation and the workmanship on that site looks top notch.

3. raaf

raaf
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

before you guys start beefing...

check the chop area...

chop details

might be pertinent to you guys looking to chop fatsbacks. he did a good job resolving the lines in the rear.

-- raaf

4. Meester P

Meester P

Mark
    As was shown here yesterday, a well put together fibre glass bodied rod is acceptable. So if the steel bodies are running short build a glass one, it doesn't cost a fortune to build a new chassis/frame or to modify an old model A one
    the rest of the parts are and still will be found if you look for them.Engines! well the SBC seems to be acceptable and I don't see them running out any time soon,again to get the "right" parts just look in the breakers or as a lot of guys here have done go to yard sales talk to your friends do a few swap meets, it's all out there just gotta find it.
    Maybe thats where the problem lies the younger generation don't want to lokk, they want instant gratification thats why the import market is doing so well, just give em your credit card and instant cool(in their eyes)bolt on the NOS and be D'MAN.
    A freakin VW will always be just that a VW and nothing else.
    I realise that there are people here tht like em but I aint one of em a HOT-ROD has been built the same way since the 30's or so and a car with the motor hanging out the arse end don't cut it.
    Maybe the guys promoting them are in there for the money.
    John.

5. This brings up many a good point.

How the hell is a young guy supposed to get in the game w/ prices of labor and materials going through the roof? Heck, paint jobs are $10,000 on old tin now-a-days. And a top chop? Ha! $4000-$5000 just for the roughed in work. No body or paint work even. Motor and tranny building: Cha-ching!

Oh yeah? What's that? Do it yourself you say? OK, some stuff can be done in a rinky-dink garage, but there's no way in hell a compressor, good sized tool box, and the other kustomizing necessities for chassis and body work will fit in most of us city dwellers garages.

I cringe at the fact that the only way I can afford to own my Vic. is because I have uncles w/ body shops and a cool father who has been instrumental in helping with mechanical issues. I'm one of very few 25 yr. olds who are lucky enough to have such a car at my young age. Most of my buddies just can't afford to start families, pay a mortage, and have a cool car.

Very simply put, this is why so many kids are going the route of import tuning. You can actually build something that's individual, realiable, quick, and handles well for under 20k. These cars are simple in design, and the aftermarket provides good, detailed instructions on how to install the performance parts.

The VW idea is cool...but what really is the difference in building one of those as opposed to a rice burner? Both foreign.

Sad, just so sad. Sorry about the rant, but this is something I really think about a lot.

6. Crafty

Crafty
    from UK

I think some have missed my point..

I wasn't getting at the VW scene or the skills of the people involved on that site.. what I was getting at is that he is portraying the hot rod scene as 30s and 40s fords that have the best of everything and top whack labour paid.. err methinks not. The guy seems to have pretty naive view of the rodding community/scene. I guess there may be a hidden agenda as Mr P suggests but if there are young people wandering around with this sort of idea in their head dontcha all think that its up to us to change their misconceptions..?

mtylo : Im a similar age to you and hear what you are saying, most of my friends can't even afford to buy a place of their own because real estate ( we the housing market as we call it ) has gone through the roof over the last 5 years, my place is worth 160% of what I paid for it 2.5 years ago. You guys think you have space problems, the average garage here is 9 feet wide by about 16 feet!!
    Over here its not that common to see a rod on the road, ok in fact is very rare.. these kids need educatin! I took two friends ( who are 18 and 21 ) to a show this year and everything blew them away.. "modern cars are kinda dull, all this stuff is so.. so.. cool1" they said.. and 100 other comments like it.. but where they live a 2 bedromm house would cost something like $200-240k US, if they are lucky it might have a garage! But they *are* rodders in the making, just gonna take a few years... and I think that is the most important thing - if you are determined to get something you'll get it..

7. [ QUOTE ]
    I guess there may be a hidden agenda

[/ QUOTE ]
    He's trying to cash in on some else's ideas,
    with parts that are not as well engineered as the original.
    [​IMG]
    His self-serving editorial ramblings read like something from a Von Dutch ad.Just wait until he gets one of his cars in a Rap Video with Kid Rock and a bunch of Ex-Con Posers.
    Instant Cool,just add money.
    But I do like the look.
    And anything that gets more Hot Rods on the road isn't all bad.

8. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

He Gives Fred Hidalgo credit. Great site. Just talked to my son about building one. It would be fun! He's 8 years old. We'd be done just in time for his sixteenth birthday. I say start um' young.-stick

9. 55olds88

55olds88

Give me a Cal Look VW any day over those things....there was a real good looking chopped and pillarless one in Newsledder mag in Aus recently

10. Missing Link

Missing Link

Well, you are axeing opinions and unfortunately you are going to get mine.
    Craftsmanship and quality, from what I can see in the pics, looks to be very good. Decent work for sure.
    The subject matter on the other hand? ummmmm...
    Gay! VW=chick car=Vag Wagon<tm>
    Sorry, but you axed for opinions. And my opinion is just like any other's. It doesn't mean shit to anyone 'cept me. Some will agree with me, some won't. That's cool. It's just my opinion and not meant to change anyone's point of view. I have always found VW's in general repulsive.