Register now to get rid of these ads!

So they ask, what will it take to buy your car ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by divco13, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roder1935

roder1935

my cars are priceless and are not for sale until i need the money and then they can be bought pretty reasonable and i miss every one i have ever sold but there is always another one that i fall in love with

2. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

Definitely not for sale in my lifetime.

...unless I can go back in time and get grandma to buy another one new. There is the reason your argument that everyone has a price lacks merit. Some things cannot be replaced.

Ask my kids when they get it.

3. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

Well occasionally I will get ask if my car is For Sale, not often but it happens. My reply has so far been that it is not. The next question usually is, well if it was For Sale what would it take $$$ to buy it. Well it just is not for sale so no need to go there. Some still want to jack there jaws like they are some kind of high roller and $$$ is no object. About this time to help them find something more constructive to pursue I lay this one on them and they move on. "I don't know what the $$$ number is but I am fairly certain I would know the correct number if I heard it. That has up to this point sent them packing. I might mention that my wife claims that the reason I still have her is that I never get rid of anything. Can it be bought? Probably, but not for a $$$ number that anyone will offer soon.

4. speedy383

speedy383

Its hard to put a price on something you build't.the stack of $$$ would have to be real high...............:cool:

5. Bud Reynolds

Bud Reynolds

Last summer I took my `35 Ford cabriolet to a rather large car show. A fellow walked up and said "I want that Ford". I said it isn't for sale. He said "You don't understand, I want that Ford." Again I said it isn't for sale. I finally took his business card to satisfy him.

[​IMG]

6. Master of None

Master of None

Cubic money. Or I tell them find a body. I will clone it for you for a fair price....

7. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

Nope, never said I didn't have a price on the F1. The coupe isn't for sale. I have cut many guys short when they have tried to ask if it were for sale. You bring my dad back, then we can talk. But then, you'd have to deal with him. ;)

8. Cerberus

Cerberus

Dad with his teenage boy, pulled into my driveway to ask how much? Usually I have six or more vehicles at any time. I said which one? The Dad's kid was interested in my '68. I said, the car is not for sale. The Dad said, ah come on everything is for sale. I shot him a price for what I was in it , he found reverse quickly, and took off in his new crew cab diesel. Couple months later, I saw his truck parked in front of his million dollar home, two developments away. Parked in front of his house was a severely rusted version of my car with torn/rotting interior. I bet his kid is pissed. It's been a year now, and there it still sits, growing more rust and roots. Guess he found out how time consuming it is, and expensive it is to restore/modify/upgrade/etc.....I occasionally see him drive by my house and wonder why?

9. TxRat

TxRat

never. It will be my son's car when he's "mature" enough.

It's just a worthless belly button anyway.

[​IMG]

10. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I'd have no problem selling anything I own at any time. I love building stuff and a good chunk of the fun is gone once it's finished. All that's left after that is just for it to get chipped, wrecked or worn out. I'm always thinking of what I could build if someone offered me fair money (not stupid money, after all it is just a car) for my current car. I do however get sick and tired of everyone and his dog wanting to know what I think my car is worth. If you ain't buying it, don't worry about it...

11. All of your grand dads would slap you guys up side the head for turning down the amount of money that would make you independently wealthy. THEY WOULD SELL THEM......;)

12. retiredblue

retiredblue
    from california

Nobody ever asks,BUT if they did I have to agree with a lot of the guys here, somethings are priceless, this car was(and is) my salvation- it has been my travel companion,my friend and even my home at one time hahaha- so thanks, but I'm doing good without the blood money-

13. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

I have been asked this question a few times..I would sell for the "right" price though. never priced it to anyone. its not for sale.

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if I had a giant building and lots of money I would have never sold any of my cars. I'd be like Jay Leno... that 55 ?? 56?? Buick he had done a while back was the car he slept in when he was a starving comic.

15. 45Shooter

45Shooter

I always say not for sale...but I'll listen to any serious offers. When they throw out $10k, I just laugh and tell them the body shop bill was double that...it usually shuts them up.

If someone threw out an offer of over $40k, it would get my attention, but still wouldn't sell it...maybe. Just depends on my mood/circumstances at the time.

16. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Had some old guy wanting to buy my Essex at a show. Told him it wasn't for sale. He claimed that "everything has a price", so I told him $150K...cash. He called me an asshole so I told him to fuck off, it wasn't for sale. :D

17. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here we go again. Sir Woosh started a thread just about 2yrs ago that covered this same topic.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...lse+never+sell

He was looking for members who...generally speaking...had no desire to sell their car. He got a lot of good replies from members who shared great stories, and how they had no plans of ever selling their cars if they could help it, because of the great amount of passion invested. But of course, some just had to weigh-in with their "Everybody has a price" contention. On the other end of the spectrum, were those who said "Never."...usually the ones who had inherited a car from a long-lost loved relative, or those who had even built the car with their father, etc. But the "Everybody has their price" crowd wouldn't leave it alone, and finally found a crack..."What if it came down to the welfare of the ones you love?"...and went on about how "My family comes first, the toys are second...blah blah blah."...as if none of the "Never" crowd wouldn't do the same if it came down to it. Now Sir Woosh started his thread in good spirit, and was simply looking for members to share their passion. But this thread is different. The OP started this thread with basically the same question as Sir Woosh did, but with the pre-concieved notion that anybody who says "Never" is full of "BULLSHIT". So why start the thread in the first place, if you figure you already know the answer?

Here's the answer. Everbody is different, and nobody can tell anybody else what they would or wouldn't do in any given situation.

chrisntx said it best, in response to those who would insist that "Everybody has their price.": "The only thing this means is that YOU have a price." and then added, "Many of my ol cars have been in my family since the 1930s, 1950s and 60s and I will NOT sell them." chrisntx is another member who values the cars way more than any amount of money...for obvious reasons.

But does this mean that the "Everybody has their price" crowd has any less passion? Of course not. Some of them may have even more, by virtue of having built or owned so many cars over time. It's just that they don't understand that some folks value some things way more than money. And does it mean that chrisntx and others with the same conviction wouldn't sell 'em in an instant if a loved-one's welfare was at stake? Of course not.

So again, I say...Nobody can tell anybody else what they would or wouldn't do in any given situation. We can only speak for ourselves. Is one way better than the other?...I'm not gonna judge...no good reason to.

So whadda ya all say, that we agree to understand that each of our situations is unique. And that we're all different, and make our own choices, and that's the way it should be. And yet, in spite of being different, that we're all the same, in that we share a love and passion of traditional hot rods and customs. Ok? Alright. Alright? Ok.

18. Well put RickyBop, some people just can't understand that money doesn't hold the value to some that it does to others. I have a '64 Impala, nothing special. It's a Super Sport 327 power pack car with a slip and slide. Like I said, nothing special. It has some rust, the paint is going, the interior needs work, and the 327 is tired. Probably a $10,000 car on a good day.

Doesn't matter what kind of number you throw at me, it ain't for sale. You can line up your trucks full of gold bullion, and blonde virgins. I don't care. I've had money, I've lost money. It doesn't mean anything to me. It's simply a means to an end, and the skills I possess means I can always make more of it. I'll keep the car, you can have your money. Really, no jokes. Get together, and test me if you feel like. Some of us just don't hold the same values you do.

As I always tell my nephews: "It's just an imaginary currency made by men who have let themselves become enslaved by it, and they print more of this shit every day."

My family is safe, and comfortable, and if need be I'm sure I could find another way to provide for them. Either way, if you want to get in to that, it's lame as stated earlier, and obvious you are just hunting for confrontation.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  19. amphicar

amphicar
    BANNED

I politely tell them that they could buy a better one for less than this one will cost.

I have a good friend who as a lark put a for sale sign in the window of his Amphicar. Within 10 mins a guy asks how much and Tommy's reply was a number about twice plus what it was worth. They guy wrote him a check on the spot. Tommy did clear the check the next day but the guy who bought it spent the next couple of months bitching about imperfections in a car he paid too much for and never even asked to hear it run! What he did find out was that he indeed owned an Amphicar.

20. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

For me Marlilyn (my '57) is part of the family, always has been and always will be. I had a lawyer in a 500 Mercedes offer me 18K when I was 19, said no. I worked for another multi millionaire corvette guy here 6 or 7 years ago that would always try to buy my car, he offered me a check (no shit) that he had written out for 36K one day and I told him no. I know it's probably stupid to turn down that money, but she's MINE!

I know a couple others guys around town that ask me when I see them, they can't believe how much of a shit I don't give about their money. Some people just don't get it.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  21. Weasel

Weasel

That would be Fred Peters - a true Ferrari aficionado since way back when. The car in question was the very first V12 pontoon fendered 1957 Ferrari Testarossa - the so called Il Nonno - the grandfather. The car was sold and then repainted black with a red noseband (it was much nicer in the dark red IMO) and fetched $16.8 million last year. Fred has an outstanding and world class 1950s and early 1960s Ferrari collection.

Here are some photos I took at his home of Il Nonno - and that my friends is what I call a hot rod engine....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

99% of the time, a person that asks that question doesn't have two dimes to rub together. Just an observation.

23. S.F.

S.F.

everything has a price, its just stuff...cant take it with you. The only time I ever get annoyed is when someone asks how much I paid for it, that shit is private.

24. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Had a guy ask me the other day ask me about my 60 apache. (flat black with steelies). Nothing special on the outside:D. He asks "when are you going to paint your truck ?" and almost in the same breathe he asked about what I would sell it for?
    I told him its not for sale to people like you. He got kinda butt hurt. I explained to him 30 people love the way the truck looks and sounds and he was the only one that wanted it painted. I think he got the point.

25. I love it when people make the statement that "it's just stuff" when arguing for cashing in on things. Like a pile of cash is somehow not "just stuff". In the end, the only real currency is your limited amount of time.

26. Dirk35

Dirk35

Depends on which Car.....

My 34 and 49 are NOT for sale, but the Model A..... Id sell it..... I usually say $15K when asked just cause I actually need to thin the herd.

Attached Files:

27. I'd sell my real Henry '32 Tudor project right now for $13000 CASH but no one seems to want it...

Steve

28. I put a number on everything; the stuff I like more usually you can buy something better for less. The '48 Hudson 4dr, not a lot over scrap price would take. The '40 Buick, probably the one I would cry least about having to move. The '50 Chevy, you could buy two nice ones for what I'd want for it.

29. Thats a big one. Not many people have room for it.:D
    Lars

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.