Register now to get rid of these ads!

so the towing company i hired dropped my vehicle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yes, thanks for the reminder. Even though its a bit late. As far as you holding up to help me - well I had no knowledge of that and I'm sorry if I implied that you should do that. You could post the rest of the pms.
    Didn't have the budget for your top notch services.

This project was based on a .50 cents a mile multi carrier

That's why I was set to get it myself .

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012

2. Interesting ..... :cool:

I never quoted you a price - so how would you know what
    my charge would be ?

HAMB Time 08-14-2012, 06:44 PM you PM'd you would give me a
    call in an hour

HAMB Time 08-14-2012, 05:39 PM you started a Thread offering
    hauling services from Cleveland to Yuma

@ http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=725654&highlight=transport

So, almost an hour before you PM'd me that you would be
    calling in an hour - you made the decision to go get the
    vehicle yourself ..... :confused:

Apparently ...... not

I tried to help you out - nothing more

Jim

3. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

WOW ...... I need help from Kansas to west coast.
    "NO FORKLIFTS"

4. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

Daddio,

That is exactly why I don't lend out my trailer anymore. I let my wife's cousin borrow it once. When I finally got it back, months later, one of the ramps was missing. Oh well it came off somewhere on the freeway, ya know? No I don't know and I don't want to. I just hope that no one got too hurt hitting the ramp in the dark somewhere.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's pretty easy as most "Towing/wrecking" yards use big forklifts to move cars around the yard. They probably woke up Leroy and sent him back to get it and after he moved three other cars to get to it he slid the forks under it and started back out of the yard with the Bronco 5 feet in the air to clear other cars. Hit the rut where they got stuck during the last big rainstorm and "oops" one bent Bronco.
    I've seen those clowns pick up cars with the forks through the windows because it was easier than getting the forks under them. Usually just before a guy goes hunting for a quarter window from the exact model of the car just moved that way.

6. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

This is a prime example of "you get what you pay for" I would never use a multi carrier for something I cared about, As they lie their fucking asses off to you, They make you think that once they load your car on the truck it is safe and sound and will be headed your way, When it fact that is a bunch of salesman bullshit!, Your car gets shuffled around 5 to six times on that truck, (scratched/ Dinged etc) Sometimes dropped in the middle of Nowhere and left to sit for days/weeks before being loaded on another truck. It is put under other cars that leak all kinds of nasty shit all over it. Don't get me wrong I am not rich and I try to save it where I can, But Unfortunatly sounds like you just learned the hard way that trying to cheap out in this case was a bad idea. Anyhow I hope they do something for you, But Knowing what I know about transport brokers, I would not hold me breath!

7. Thanks jim,
    No need to now, but you could also look in the social groups relay board, in my sig. And in the wanted section and we can get a real timeline of how I was scrambling to get something done. Hopefully that will help with your confusion. In reality I knew the best thing was to go get it myself.
    That's nit a snappy decision to make and the time its posted isn't when the decision was made. I also stated "unless something changes" so its still not as you say "made" on the table for sure.

I have spoke to you personally before about moving some stuff several times over a few years. We never did make a deal but I do have a general idea of what it costs. This particular move, yes sir you are correct I have no idea what you would have charged.

I'm not sure what our conversation about hauling has to do with a towing company hired mid July dropping my bronco, but what the hell.

And jim I am truly sorry you held out a day , but I never expressed for you to do that in the slightest.

8. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

Lord, I'm sitting here reflecting on how lucky I am ... just yesterday my 57 windowed sedan delivery was rolled off the carrier ... and I mean rolled off the right way. Sorry for your misfortune, and I sure don't mean this post as rubbing it in ... like I said, I'm reflecting on my own luck. Hope it works out for you.

Attached Files:

9. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I had a shipping company do the same to me on a car I sold. Felt bad for the buyer.

10. The carrier was not the problem. :confused:
    They damn sure ain't cheap.
    The brokers are a problem for sure, but I've had pretty good success in the past with extremely minor and expected hickups.

11. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Not for nothing, but Jim hauled my car, I gotta be honest... The service was top notch as well as dependable and SUPER FAIRLY PRICED. He even survived a mean old lady in a snowstorm. Good guy and I would use him again.

12. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Total dipshits...
    Sorry to hear about this...
    Go after their ass if you can.

13. I don't doubt that at all, not one bit.
    My bronco wasn't a high dollar finished machine that required special handling.
    it was destined to put my buddies back together.

Even using a multi carrier , shipping was just about the cost of bronco. The only reason that worked was because of the condition and extra parts. It has issues that turned most buyers away drove the price down - but fit my use better than perfectly.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  14. kscarguy

kscarguy

Bad luck. I hope they make it right by you.

I know when I had my COE moved, I drove it into and out of the hauler. It was unsettling to back it onto the ramp...

Look at the good side, yours is still rust free...

Attached Files:

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I might have you beat on that. I saw a 1/2 ton pickup on a trailer strapped to the trailer with those giant wratchet straps they use on big rig flatbeds to hold down the load. straps went over the top of the car and down to the trailer. there was nothing to keep it from rolling off the back but pure luck. he was pulled over to the side of the road for unknown reasons.

16. brad chevy

brad chevy

31 Vicky,sorry about your truck getting damaged,but posting it on here and getting a lecture from another hauler wasn;t what you were expecting . Hope after shipper paying for the damage and you selling the truck leaves you enough to find another one.

17. I was at an event where a guy pulled up with his car on the trailer. I did a double take as I couldn't see any tie downs at all. I asked him about it. He just stared at me with a dumb look and said, "why would I need tie downs, I put it in park, where's it gonna go?"
    He was dead serious. We made sure we went a different way than him when we left.

18. Thanks man !
    Its the inter web & I guess you'll have some of that every now and then.

19. Powell Ric

Powell Ric
    from Powell Mo.

51 Norm , I have extra black ramp I found on a highway

20. Powell Ric

Powell Ric
    from Powell Mo.

As my Grandma said: "From the crib to the hearse there is nothing so bad that couldnt be worse" This reminds me of a good friend , David Hartman, he was killed while roofing on the Hilton Hotel in Joplin a few years back while being raised to the roof with a forklift at the top of 3 stories when the cage he was in slipped off the forks.. A safety chain/strap would have avoided this crap, its a cryin shame

21. Wierd. We had one of those about five years ago that was running, driving, not rust free (It's New York) but decent, could have run it as it was. Couldn't sell it and scrapped it that winter.

In any case the lesson here is with hauling you get what you pay for. Forklifts are only for moving scrap cars, there's always a chance you bend the driveshaft that way.

22. Again ... not the hauler in this case.
    The towing/storage company.

Get what you pay for? OK
    Heres what I asked them to do
    pick up the thing at owners house
    Tow it back to their yard 10miles and keep it for a few days.
    Get it loaded on the truck when it showed up.
    Told them it may go on a flat bed or van and if so they would need to get it on a rollback and then onto semi.

They said sure - 150.00 with 2 days storage.

Where the hell does that forklift to the upper deck of a auto transport trailer come into it ?

That ain't cheap, its fair price for a specific task.

23. evs1

evs1

Sorry about your luck. Any idea what your going to get into on the repairs?

As for loaning out trailers, I don't. I had a 20ft 12k gtw flat deck trailer that I used to move my brothers tractors around and just about anything else I needed to haul. It got loaned out to exactly 3 people, my brother, and two friends who both had commercial hauling experience. It came back with a set of extended and modified (for the better), ramps once. He had unloaded on an uneven surface and had tweaked one, so he rebuilt both. My brother tore up two tires that were due for replacement anyway, he bought me four new ones. Anybody else I was happy to help, but I towed it with my truck at their expense. They didn't like? Too bad. The guy that never put a scratch on it finally asked to buy it, so I sold it to him. Now he does the maintenance and I can borrow it anytime I need it.

Just too much liability to loan things like that out.

24. Since I sold my Diesel pickup two years ago, I have had nothing that I would tow my car hauler and a car. So, I've used a friend in north TX that hauls for a living. Nothing but cars, bikes and parts. One-man operation, NO dispatchers! He picks your car/truck/bike up and hauls it directly to you. Since he is a one-man, one-truck op, he is subject to breakdowns and delays, but he is a man of his word and gets the job done right.

25. afaulk

afaulk

Hopefully your luck will improve. Like Ron White said "you can't fix stupid"!

26. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

One thing I've noticed about borrowing things or having other people borrow my stuff; if it's gonna get screwed up that's when it always happens.

My best friend whom I've known for 35 years and worked with for most of that time has a nice car hauler. I've borrowed it a couple of times and did so when I brought my '32 home from Indiana. Got within an hour and a half from home in the middle of nowhere at dusk on a Sunday evening and one of the trailer tires blew. No spare, and I ain't leavin my '32 on that trailer and going after one!

A couple of good ole Kentucky boys stopped to offer assistance (wonder if they would have if I'd been hauling an OT cookie cutter car?) but ended up limpin home on three wheels.

The next day I went and bought four new tires for my buddy's trailer and wouldn't let him pay me for them. So now I'm half owner... Now when I use it it's our trailer.

27. Holy Hijack Batman.
    Never a lender or borrower be
    Trailers, lectures, get what you pay for Proverbs, advertising, ncis inquiry,,,,

Spoke with the guy this evening and he reversed all of his fees, covered all of my expenses, and bought the bronco from me for what I paid. So that puts me back to zero or neutral. Very honest and good man !

What I'm out is my time involved.

28. daddio211

daddio211

Sorry for starting the hijack, totally my fault. I have no ancient Chinese proverbs to ad.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

29. A Rodder

A Rodder

All in all, you got to feel good about how they handled it in the end.

Really sorry about your luck.

30. No worries, everybody just tried to best you with a trailer story! !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.