Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects so options on radiator shell.. thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostone, Oct 14, 2018.

1. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I'm falling behind where I want to be but I'm still trying to stay 1 step or 2 ahead in my head.

By the end of next weekend I'll have the steering gear mounted then on to the engine and mounts and grille shell next.

It's a 31 tudor that will be chopped and channeled 3 inches. So I'll be chopping a radiator shell to fit the body lines.

So here is where I'm at, I have the original stainless shell but I don't want to cut it up. 2 try to find a good commercial shell and cut it down, 3 fiberglass shell and wack it at my hearts content or 4 use either a fiberglass or steel Chinese 32 grille.

In a perfect world I think the commercial would be the best bet but I need to find one. Some of them I've found want a ridiculous amount.
    But I do understand why a lot of guys run the 32 grilles now. It would be a lot easier to go that route.

So does it seem I pretty much covered it or have I missed anything ? Open to thoughts, ideas and any input.

Thanks guys!

2. Remember that the radiator neck is in a different location on the '32.

Charlie Stephens

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

093.JPG 096.JPG I like model A shells on model A's.. You could just notch the sides of the shell 3" to match the channel...**clic pic**

juan motime and F&J like this.
  4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Since you are not tied to year specific, a '28/'29 Model A grille is shorter.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

You could also fab up a one of a kind custom and be different.

6. Just don't use a tractor grille shell. HRP

Texas Webb and bowie like this.
  7. F&J

F&J

I don't understand why you don't want to cut the original?...you cut the body so it's not ever going back to a stock A,...

Those car stainless shells are by no means rare ....many were saved, and many are still out there on cutdown & now junked farm buggys..

Texas Webb likes this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I am going to assume that you have a use for the stock shell planned besides being a wall hanger. I'd think that it wouldn't be hard to find an A shell at a swap meet that had a bit of damage in the area you plan to cut on.

9. adam401

adam401

When you say commercial grill shelldo you mean model A commercial grill shell?

10. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Thanks guys,

I hadn't thought about notching and just dropping it. That's an option ;)

Yeah I thought about making a wall hanger out of it. Also if I shortened the original stainless then I'd need to tig and dress it out to look right and I can't tig and I've never worked stainless before.

I meant a commercial model A grille shell as my understanding is they are sheet metal not stainless, that metal I can weld and finish.

11. 3340

Kind of like this one[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

3340 you have it , is that a commercial shell ?

13. It looks like it has a Chevy insert. HRP