Register now to get rid of these ads!

So lost need guidence...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chopped&Dropped, May 7, 2008.

1. Chopped&Dropped

Chopped&Dropped
    from Salt City

I want to convert my generator to an alternator. I have read a couple different ways of doing so but I want to know what is the best way to go. Should I use 1 wire alternator or 3 wire. And if I use a three wire how do I wire it up? Which one is better I dont want to create any more issues.

2. I would use an internally regulated 1 wire alternator. GM is the easy one, but some guys have done it with others.

3. wvenfield

wvenfield

My 54 Chevy had a 1 wire alternator. Easy to hook up and I had zero problems with it.

4. beatcad

beatcad

what year/make car are ya workin' on?
    if it's a 55 or later GM it could be as easy as lookin' for(or makin') diferent brackets.
    is it an early 50s car, and ya also want to go from 6 to 12 volt?
    than that's another story, but still very do-able.

you can find an older external reg alt and bolt it in place of the gen and wire it the same way.......or you could get an internal reg. alt. and bypass/remove the voltage regulator on the firewall or rad. support depending on the car ya got.

i could maybe give ya more info, but i gotta know what car yer workin' on and what ya really wanna acheive.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. KJSR

KJSR
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I converted my 6v Plymouth to a 12v and used the one wire GM alternator. I have always had the three wires in the past on mt different cars but found the one wire so easy I will never go back.

6. Old Gold

Old Gold

Heres a schematic for a three wire. For one wire you eliminate the wire that energizes the dash light. The three wire is energized by the dash light, the one wire is designed to energize at a set RPM. Hope that helps. (this is what I did for my Packard. Eliminate "carb switch" if your starts off key.)

Attached Files:

7. jdj9410

jdj9410
    from Paris TX

Speedway sells an alternator in a generator housing by Powermaster. One for flatties and one for GM's. Little pricey at about 400 but pretty good if going for authentic.

8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Zoar, Ohio

If you are running a Ford flathead. Buy a 1960-63 rebuilt 12 volt. The housings are exactlty the same as the 6 volt units. You may have to trim the front cover for clearance.

9. Nothing wrong with a three wire and a regulator.

I've been using rebuilt Pinto alternators and regulators from NAPA.

Last time I bought them, $34. for the alternator and $12. for the regulator.

The alternator is relativey small physically speaking and has enough charging for most any hot rod.

Get Skip Readio's book on "Electrical Systems."
    Published by Tex Smith.
    It's available at Amazon and is the best DIY book out there.