Register now to get rid of these ads!

so i've been collecting parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by silent rick, Feb 12, 2012.

1. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Looking great! It's crazy how similar this is to the hot rod I want to build next.. Except mine won't have over head valves. :) You've come a long ways with your T. I'd say I can't wait to see it moving under its own power but I'm sure you feel much more strongly that way than I.

2. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

looks good rick, glad to see it rolling.

3. cool project! looking' great!

4. Camaro Mike

Camaro Mike

Looking good Rick!

5. wizzard23

wizzard23

Subscribed!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

She's a beaut, Rick! You've definitely thought this one through. You're going to have to change your signature to read "must ride on lap" now.

7. Chris 50

Chris 50

I was at Jason's the night the wheels got painted. I know I was a little jacked up on clear fumes, as were a couple other guys helping turn the wheels as Jay painted. Jason was worst of all, even with the mask on he was hurtin'. It's about time we had a fresh build or two coming together. Real cool man.

8. silent rick

silent rick

chris, are you going to be able to stop by tonight? we can finalize plans for the iron invasion.

9. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Oh man! You're really making me wish I kept my '27!

10. Chris 50

Chris 50

Don't think I'm going to make it tonight, but I'll send my representative to work out the details.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

11. silent rick

silent rick

big mitts norm?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  12. Chris 50

Chris 50

Is that a problem?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

13. chopz56

chopz56

Man i'm so out of the loop.....Rick it's really looking great!Now i have to get a day off so i can come look at the progress in person!Congrats on your work!

14. magnet

magnet

It's looking good.. it's nice to see steady progress being made.

15. silent rick

silent rick

i made the diamond shaped wishbone mounts for the front to match the rears. i need to do a little work on the frame before mounting them. right to the rear of where the front bones will mount is a triangle shaped raised portion. running board mount? anyway the diamond shaped mounts won't lay flat. i was going to cut out the raised portion and weld in a patch, then a friend suggested heating and hammering the frame flat. i haven't decided which way to go.
    [​IMG]

i purchased some forged p&j dropped arms. i already whacked off the hole for cross steer setup. i'll touch it up with the grinder, sandblast and get a coat of paint on them. i need to get a tierod on it. it's a pain in the ass pushing it around when the front wheels want to go all googly.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. silent rick

silent rick

i mounted the headlights and made a U shaped mount for the radiator and grill shell.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i want to do a wire mesh insert in the A shell, sort of protect the radiator some.
    [​IMG]

the radiator will get rubber mounted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. phat rat

phat rat

Nice to see how it's coming. But I gotta say it's also got me to saying to myself. "Why didn't I keep it?" If I'm remembering correctly you're right about the raised triangle on the frame.

18. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Looking really great, man.

19. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

20. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It might be too late, but could you make a set of tie rod mounts that attach right at the triangular mounting point? looks like you would have to extend the wishbones though

21. Man thats lookin' good! I gotta say I'm jealous.

Hate to derail but is that your Panhead in the back of those pictures? Can't tell what year it is but thats lookin' pretty damn good as well! :D

Anyways, subscribed!

22. silent rick

silent rick

the original plan had the bones' mounts side by side, back when the axle was going under the front crossmember, but then i couldn't get the ride height and stance i wanted. i moved the axle out in front of the crossmember to drop the front down a couple inches so that's where the rear mount ended up. i'm leaning towards heating it up and smacking it a few times.

23. silent rick

silent rick

it's a 59. i had to swap over to a late 60's frame around 15 years ago.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013

24. Damn I like that. I've always had a thing for Painheads ( :eek: ) my dad has a 48. Anyways thanks for the picture man, judging from your bike and the pictures so far this builds gonna be wicked.

25. silent rick

silent rick

i made a couple of frames that fit inside the grill shell to stretch the wire mesh over and sandwich the mesh.
    [​IMG]

i rubber mounted the radiator inside the frame i had made
    [​IMG]

and then mounted the grill shell over everything
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. silent rick

silent rick

i then turned my attention to the body mounts. i decided on six. why six, i do not know. i guess there's no kill like overkill.
    my friend killbilly gave me some rubber discs in various thicknesses. they're not too hard, not too soft. as goldilocks would say "that killbilly is a swell dude".
    [​IMG]

the front four mounts were easy, i just welded some 1/4 inch plate between the frame and crossmember to weld my mounts to.
    [​IMG]

the rear mounts needed another approach. i made stanchions off the frame for the last two mounts. i started with C channel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i shaped the ends with a cutoff wheel on my air grinder and shaped them with the electric 4 inch
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

finished product
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  27. silent rick

silent rick

body mounted and rolled out in the alley for some photos. i even popped on the v8 caps. shiney.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  28. silent rick

silent rick

i made a cardboard pattern for the floor. thanks for the cardboard stinky
    [​IMG]

i cut it out of some 13 gauge metal i have. i know it's heavy but i have a ton of it and it will help stiffen up the body. i took the piece over to steve, the offy guru, at gary bridge and iron and asked him to bend it for me. it fits very nice.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. Looks great!

30. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Nice work.. Very nice work...