Register now to get rid of these ads!

So I'm a stupid kid..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gasoline Junkie, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

I'm 19 years old, been into cars my whole life, and got ripped off buying my first car. After saving up my money, I spent $6,000 and bought my first car- a '56 Chevy 210. The guy told me, "It's a solid car, runs great, and can sit in traffic in the summer all day" Sure enough, It leaks all kinds of fluids, overheats at about every light and I just found the rear shock in the trunk. He said "the horn kinda flutters" There are no horns in the car! The rear floors are made of wood. I know, I was stupid to not check all this from the beginning, but I was smitten with the allure of the 383 under the hood (If it even is a stroker). But besides that, what kind of ****bag cheats a kid like that out of his money? Now I'm out of all the money I saved up for the car, and I don't think it's even worth it to fix it. I'm going to my local shop (Hollywood Jack's, if anyone knows him) to see what I can do. I wish I would've found this site sooner, I would've bought a car from one of you guys you seem like an honest bunch

2. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

well, you live & you learn.

3. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

Yeah you're right. By the way you've got a pretty mean Chevy

4. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Caveat Emptor....

Look at it this way, you'll know more about cars when you're done! :)

Where's the pics of this heap anyways?

5. Dino

Dino

Your car will be very straightforward to work on and you will learn a lot, and have fun, while doing so. Do you have more pics of the car?

6. You will be OK kid. Everyone of us here has the same story. Just work through each problem one at a time and dont get overwhelmed.... Experience means everything.

7. RichG

RichG

I'm betting there are some hoodlums up your way that could help get you on the right track... I'm not knocking the guy who's shop you're thinking about taking it too, but before you step out of the frying pan into the fire, find someone who knows their stuff to give you an objective opinion. If there's a social group for NY guys, maybe go to it and see if someone can lend you a hand...

Like I've told my daughter: The world is full of assholes, you're gonna meet 'em everyday. How you handle them and yourself defines who YOU are, not them.

8. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

That is incredibly good advice!

9. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Well, how much do you think you got dinged for? A 56 210 is still a start. I would look at it this way, you wanted waffles for breakfast, and now you have extra waffles.
    I don't see what the difference is between a car that needs to be fixed up or sorta needs to be fixed up. What maybe 2 grand on the initial purchase? Don't beat yourself up over it, in most cases if you really fell in love with that car you are going to redo every single thing any ways. Now if you bought a $25,000 primo claim and had all these troubles I'd send you a box of Kleenex, but in this case you just have more waffles. Dig in and have fun and learn and enjoy the thing. Maybe you'll pull the next one out of a creek with a big smile on your face and make a honey out of it after this experience of fixing this old gal up.

10. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

yeah & i traded my beautiful, running, driving, nice & shiny, not-needing-a-goddamned-thing, cadillac lowrider for that pile of chevy parts. i'm sure i had an easy 6 large into the caddy, & all my chevy did was roll & steer when i got it. it didnt even roll good cuz 1 of the 4 junk tires on it kept going flat.

so i don't wanna hear "it's not even worth fixing". yeah, it's prolly not worth paying someone else another 6 grand to fix it, so you better learn how to do it yourself.

don't think i haven't dragged home a toilet or 2...

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  11. Jim P

Jim P
    from Tyler, TX

Just chalk it up. I think it has happend to all us. There is a lot of knowledge on this site as well as many more. As money permits read up and get familiar on how to fix it and take care of it.
    Best of luck.
    -Jim

12. vegas

vegas

Instead of having a shop do the repairs, spend some time on here learing, and do the work yourself...the cost will stay way lower, you'll gain lots of knowlege and experience, and hopefully enjoy the process. I've been messing with cars my whole life, but I had never built a complete car before my coupe. I was able to build it by learning almost everything I needed here.

13. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

This is not to pick on you...just advice from an old hand...better make sure its a 383 !!
    You KNOW every 327 is a "vette" motor and every 350 is an "LT1" LOL !
    Good luck , and dont give up... We will help you get it fixed up..
    Dave

14. Moonlight Engineering

Moonlight Engineering
    from Eureka, CA

You might not be able to "fix" it but you can "build" it and pick up a whole lot of skill, like welding, while you are at it.

Don't feel bad kid...everyone runs out of build funds every now and then...but you work and put money aside and it gets done.

Post some pics...lets see what you have to work with.

15. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Well, at least you got a desirable car, when you're done with it, that is. The car is easy to work on, there's plenty of after-market and NOS out there and you really won't lose any money on it should you decide to bite your lip and go for it.

There's plenty of douche-bags out there that will gladly take advantage of anyone if they see there's money to be made (not earned)...karma's a bitch and he'll get his.

Words of advice: Don't jump in with both feet, fix small things first, then go on to bigger things -don't get overwhelmed and lose focus.

R-

16. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

You are the prime target. Young, hungry for old iron, with a pocket full of cash.
    We've all had our experiences getting screwed over. You'll be wiser now because of it.

Be thankful it wasn't worse. Atleast your car is worth something being a Tri-Chev car.

17. Some guy's have been doing this for 30, 40 years and still wish they had a 55-57 Chevy. Your doing great and will carry the torch someday giving out expert advice on your years of knowledge and the lumps and bumps you took on your first builds. TR.

18. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Take the good with the bad and learn as you go. I am doing the same thing with mine. There is always going to be surprises with these cars. Good luck to you.

19. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Don't end up like a lot of us old farts that are still kickin' ourselves for letting "that one" get away. sold my first car for $250.oo cause I got overwelmed without any help in sight. A '55 2 door Bel Air that really didn't need much. What you've got there is one Helluva good learning experience. See? yoiu're learning allready. Join a Tri-5 Chevy club, like the International Chevy club and stick with us. We'll all help ya' through it, and in a couple years you too can say "Yeah, built it all myself, with a little help from my friends. You shoulda' seen what I started with"

20. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Some pretty good advice in the above posts. I would recommend getting hooked up with some clubs in your area. Pick up knowledge the same way we all did, by listening to "older" guys. Right now you are steamed, that's understood. But, chalk it up to tuition in The School of Hard Knocks. Hey, a 56 Chev is a great car. At least you aren't starting with a slug. Keep us updated with words and photos as you get it together.
    Hey, kid...you can do it!!

21. Hey, with a 56 Chevy ya got a good start. It's all fixable. Find someone you can trust who has some knowledge. You can learn each step along the way and the HAMB is here it help ya!

And post us some pics!

22. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

I know a lot of great 567 Chevy guys hear in PA. Also join Chevytalk.com forum. Not knocking this forum in any way whats so ever seeing as it's my favorite but Chevytalk has some guys that are very knowledgable. Ol 55 in Doyelstown PA is my first choice for parts on a tri-five Chevy. US made parts, not crap from overseas.

http://www.eastcoastchevy.com/

I had a 57 Nomad for years and used to go there a lot. Great guys! Gave me a tour of the shop and said "stop by anytime".

Brian

23. How do you think some of us get so smart?
    Hey you just got a whole lot smarter.

Few options,
    Fix it and enjoy doing it, learn as you go.
    fix it the worst of the mechanical crap and drive it
    Fix some and sell it.
    Don't touch it and sell it.

24. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

most of us older guys have all had much bigger piles than your Chevy...much bigger piles.
    So, as stated earlier, don't "fix", "build".
    Never send work out.....stop...breath...take a break.
    Make a list and start to learn, ask questions here.
    The people on the HAMB are a good, knowledgeable bunch...just be a straight shooter, be patient and respectful and the folks here will treat you real good.
    ASK. Where do you start? Well, I always start with the LIST.
    Get into the car and make a list of everything you are going to NEED to do.
    DO NOT go out and buy wheels, tires and all that purdy shit.....get the guts and skelton fixed first.
    Purdy comes last.
    Nothing looks dumber than a POS with tricked out wheels, tires and goodads....like putting Christmas lights on a pile of dog shit.
    You're not fooling anyone but the dog...dig?

So...list...breath.
    Do NOT take the car anywhere for repairs until you run it by the smart folks here. You will not learn anything by writing some guy a check.
    Who knows, there may be many things you can do yourself.
    You'll save money, LEARN and have lots of PRIDE.

25. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

I looked at your car and I guess its worth at least 6k.

I wouldn't believe him about a 383 motor because he lied to you on everything else..

Did he give you any paper on the motor build ?

If not don't believe him.

Like already been said by others ,
    you got took but he didn't screw ya to bad..

Even a four door 56 Chevy in running order is worth good money...

Its a good start and you'll learn a bunch ...

This board will help a bunch just listen and learn and ask lots of questions,

also do alot of searches ,it will be your friend in the long run......

Good Luck and keep your head up....

26. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

Wow, I gotta say I am absolutely overwhelmed with the responses. I'm glad I'm a part of this forum. I want to fix it up, but I lack the skills, tools, money, experience, hell, I don't even have a garage! But You're right, if i'm gonna do this the rest of my life I'm gonna have to learn it somehow! I just wish there was more of a hot rodding scene around here though. It would be kind of hard to learn to patch the floors up over the computer! Nonetheless, I guess I know what I'm up against now, and I'd better get crackin' if i'm ever gonna get it done. By the way, it's a 4 door :eek:

Here's some pictures:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

27. Abomb

Abomb

So, you're a 19 year old with a running 56 chevy...kid, lot's of people lie to sell cars, get used to it. You probably didn't get hosed too bad....fix the leaks, clean the cooling system, take it one step at a time, and you'll have a decent driver before you know it.

BTW, 4 doors do go for a little less money, but unless that's in much worse shape than the pictures show, you didn't get hurt too bad...they're old cars, and they require attention....just fix it one step at a time, don't tear it apart to fix everything all at once, or the odds are that it will never be on the road again once you lose your enthusiasm.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  28. 53 hemi

53 hemi

Just wanted to chime in as well - dont worry, keep working, it'll be ok. BUT - get that car out of the shop!! Learn the hard way ( you've already started! ) , fix it yourself. Its a 56 Chevy that runs under its own power? Everything else is minor. RuFFDaWG hit the nail on the head. And isn't there some group of hoods in NY york called the Rumblers..... nice guys, met 'em a few times. Good luck, you'll be the terror of the neighborhood in no time!
    Just saw the photos - no shame there. Everybody replaces floorboards. Not too many will admit it, but many a floorboard was pop-riveted in by a 16 year old.

29. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

30. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

By the way...nobody here built anything beautiful, fast and ready for a magazine cover first...trust me.
    We all have some photos that we don't dare show anyone else.
    It takes time. You started young like most of us did.
    We geezers and geezerettes are still learning....that's the fun part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.