Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects So I was tired of the red wheels...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Racer29, Feb 23, 2014.

1. I had been wanting to change up my '29 Tudor Sedan for a while now but just couldn't decide what I wanted to do to it. Nothing drastic just a noticable change. It's definitely not a 100% period correct build as I built it 13 years ago with what I could get cheap. I am looking for a way to ditch the sidepipes or at least black them out so they don't stand out. With that said the wheels had been red since day one and I was just getting tired of them. Then I saw this mean looking '30-'31 Tudor sedan for sale in the classifieds that had "the look" I knew I wanted. So here's the before and after. I had 10" wide wheels in the back but changed to 7" wide to try to get rid of the fat tire look. I can't go too skinny on the rim as the rear is from a '70 Dodge D100 and is really wide for the car. It will also be getting 6.00-15's in the front and L78-15's in the rear this August. I'm pleased with the change so far. What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Some pinstriping would set them off nice.

3. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Agreed ... Stripes would be nice

4. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Needs a little bit of color somewhere... IMO

5. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Really like it. We did the same color swap on my Dad's 27 Roadster Pickup. I think the red made it look for show...the black more for go!

6. Chuck R

Chuck R

Your car looks good both ways although right now my mind set is towards color. I have had black wheels on a black primer car for 10 years and have been thinking of painting them a color. I think we all like to make a change every now and then to keep it fresh, or just give it a different look.
    chuck

7. navyboy

navyboy

I would just do a full color change, cheap and simple, drab olive green semi Gloss.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, the red rims have been way over done. navyboy has a good idea with a body color change. add some pin stripes too. agree that getting pipes powder coated black would look good. the narrow tires are a good change.

9. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Ok, I'll be the Ahole. I like the red rims.

10. loudbang

loudbang

Good move looks so much better.

11. Back in the day we always painted them red on hot rods, not so much on customs. Never thought they were "over done". Our '29 then and now. The wheels and top were tan.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  12. ........x2:)

13. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Looks to bland now, It needs some color somewhere IMO.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

Sorry, I like the red wheels.

15. I like the use of the narrower rear wheels but if a color of wheel has ever been considered traditional..it's red.

I think black wheels are over used but that just my opinion,,and the guys above. HRP

16. verde742

verde742

Call me old,,, I like red wheels/and w/w's

red wheels/ww's and dropped axles make me smile......:)

17. khead47

khead47

I also like red wheels!

18. Painting a Model A sedan white would make it look like a refrigerator!

It's rare that a Model A can pull off a white paint job although I remember seeing a coupe painted white with red scallops,red wheels and wide whites..it looked great. HRP

19. slowmotion

slowmotion

I get wanting change, but it needs some contrast. The black/red thing I do like, but it is getting a little long in the tooth. How about a good old red primer/cream wheels makeover? Not ground breaking or different I know, but a change nonetheless.

20. .......I think navyboy was talking about re-painting the whole car semi-gloss OD, HRP, not just the wheels. I would concur, as I've always liked those Model As with the orig. looking colors with maybe a contrasting color on the beltline.

21. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

I'm just not a fan of flat black or red wheels. All the hot rods I built had green wheels just so they would not look like every other one, red or black. I would do something with the body color and get some bias ply tires loose the side pipes and go from there, You asked for opinions!:)

22. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

I liked the red. too much black now...

23. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Black is over done, but red is overdone times a million. See why everyone is commenting that they like red wheels? Everybody paints their car flat black and their wheels red. Whenever I get a car with red wheels I immediately paint the rims black or throw a set of hubcaps on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Jason455

Jason455

25. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Well... If done right.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  26. paint the wheels a cream/off-white color

27. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

I agree with that...or can you get beauty rings that would fit those? Or...I kind of like maroon wheels with a dark bodied car too.....I really like your Tudor and wish I had it and just couldn't figure out what color to use on the rims!! :D

28. And you just proved my point,they are rare but when done correctly they are a knockout. HRP

29. 19Fordy

19Fordy

With all that's being said,
    I still like the color red.

No, it's not over done.
    But red's not for everyone.

Here's the look we liked,
    back in '61.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  30. I couldn't imagine my old Deuce sedan with anything but red wheels.

Black cars with red wheels have been a hot rod combination that has always worked..HRP

[​IMG]