Register now to get rid of these ads!

so I was minding my own bidness, when I accidently bought a firetruck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SPEEDBARRONS, May 12, 2010.

1. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

At least you didn't on four seperate occasions like me.

Firetrucks are cool toys. The only real downside is that everything is freakin' HEAVY!!! Time to upgrade the floor jack and jackstands.

2. smiffy6four

smiffy6four

Yep, it would need to be a tax write-off to cover the gas for an 800cu in monster like that! How gallons per mile does it do, I wonder?

3. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Dual ignitions are redundant to provide endurance and reliability at fire ad emergenccy scenes. Last thing you want is to have your plugs start following when sitting for 8 hours pushing the pump. Some models the second one is magneto in case the batteries start to fail.

4. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

fixed all the shift linkage today, now it shifts all 8 gears, it does have a splitter, but it still does about 45-50, same as my old Jeepny.... when I drove it from spanaway to Tarnation it only had 1st and 3rd, I truly was the assclown on the freeway. love the motor, twin plugs, twin distribs, its got double everything, motor looks like it has an flathead to overhead conversion, but its factory continental. next order is to pull the water tanks and start looking for gears for the rear. i'm leaving the paint cause thats part of the fun, if it was still red, I wouldnt have got it. now I need to make a dance area on the back and get me some gays to party back there, and freak out the town. lots of squares out here.... boom chica boom chica boom chica.... where the hell is Dug

5. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I am a huge supporter of random purchases. God bless you citizen.

6. ratster

ratster

love the flames, looks like my wagon

7. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

Speedbarron, My fire trucks diesel had a restriction devise on the injector pump..to limit the RPM`s. My top speed was only 50 mph until I realized that in neutral the motor would only make about 2600rpm`s. It now makes 3500rpms and my speeds up as well. Maybe check the carb linkage to see if there is a limiting device of somekind...

8. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

can i AX you a question? whats BIDNESS? cool truck though!

9. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

That is a R601/R6601 Continental, we stocked that line at a parts house I worked at in 60s-70s. Had a Brockway semi tractor with one in it a few years back. Enjoy the 2-3 MPG LOL

10. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All I can say is AWSOME!!!!!!...I'm a little biased towards ALF firetrucks .I'd love to have something cool like that!

11. SlamIam

SlamIam

You guys are killin me, I've been driving past a 38 Ford fire truck with a forsale sign for 2 years now and always had the willpower not to stop. After reading this I may give in, no, no, no...

12. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

once you get a big truck, there is no going back. Like I always say "big truck, big dick"

13. moses

moses

all i have to say to that amen i know what ya mean......

14. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

HOT TUB TIME MACHINE inna back!!!!!

15. Gut the rear and keep the body walls, beef up the frame, fabricate some folding ramps, and you have yourself a nice little enclosed hauler. Not a bad find for $2,000, the pump on it ought to be worth a pretty penny.

16. freakboy

freakboy

That thing is freaking cool!

17. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

*update: removed 7000# out of it, broke down all the valves and pumps and got 700 bucks in scrap, built a one piece drive line, pandecked the bed, will be topped with 1/8 steel diamond plate.... rear bed now measures 10' long by 6' wide, super custom party deck adds another 4'.... so far I just ruined a christmas in Carnation parade, waited till dark then prowled into town.... the dummys moved the cones blocking the street for the boy scouts and a real fire truck with santa marching in the middle of the road, I of course was coming the opposite way, turned on the flashing green lights and wailed the siren nonstop, pushed my way through then flipped the blinker and went in to Starbucks. Felt like animal house death mobile.... me

Attached Files:

18. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

also thinking of lettering it real fancy pants "HATE TRAIN" after the Fleetwood Mac song, better sung by Los Gatos

19. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Man, you're living the dream.

Party deck?!? Too fricking awesome.

20. x2...

Sometimes I think I miss out on stuff...then think to myself THANK GOD!!!

Looks like he's having fun...which is awesome!!!

21. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Mind if I use this the next time I '"purchase" an addition to the already impossible array of projects I already own? Not sure the wife will buy it but WTH it might be worth a try.:cool:

Frank

22. 6berry

6berry

all of those are considered traditional arent they?? maybe u could go even more traditional with a bluray player:D

23. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

Hey look what it does now[​IMG]

24. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

Where are you going to find white walls to fit that bastard!

25. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Thats so cool

26. BISHOP

BISHOP

I have never wanted a fire truck, till now. Thats great.

27. _ogre

_ogre
    from Motown

great googly moogly!!! :eek:

28. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That's ridiculous

29. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

How the hell did I ever miss this? We could have had some fun with that thing if the pumps worked. There are so many parades and people needing a good hosing down. How high off the ground is the rear deck?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  30. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

It's about 3 1/2 feet, has 10 foot ramps and a winch, way easy to load..... I was real close to drivin it for the swindlers poker run, glad I didn't since our average speed that day was 83mph