Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects So I took vacation and worked my butt off

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomb, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Abomb

Abomb

After not getting much done over the last 6 months, I decided to burn up a little vacation while the kid was in school and the wife was at work, just so I could work at my shop. I finally managed to finish stripping the 3 paint jobs off of my car, and get it in primer. There's still alot of body work to go, but hey, I'm making progress...it's primer over bare metal, not 2 coats of crappy yellow over factory paint. I also got most of the interior metal stripped, primed, and painted, and the dash is mostly ready to prime and paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good for you, Abomb! Shades of Two-Lane Blacktop, now. So do the guys you work with get this stuff?

Them: "How was your vacation?"
    You: Great! I worked on my car."
    Them: Huh?

:D

3. Abomb

Abomb

Nope, not the car part anyway...next week, my closest co-worker ( Fiber optic route tech.) is off for a week, so he can catch up on his farm work and sell his cows.

4. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

Looks great, one day, I would love to do the same.

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You and your co-worker can argue who worked harder on their vacation. Not many folks work harder than a farmer...except maybe a guy who stripped and primed a whole car!

Good luck with the rest of your build.

6. Abomb

Abomb

I took one day off from the car to sheetrock a bathroom....gotta keep the wife happy too.

7. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Staycation. The affordable way to miss work.
    I prefer it myself.
    Why spend all your money to have the stuff that makes you happy, then leave it all for vacation?
    Every other 'cation is how I work it.

8. papajohn

papajohn

Recently spent a weeks vacation in Cali. The whole time I was there and after I got back I keep thinking how much I'd rather be home in the garage or remodeling. But sometimes you have to spend time with the wife and kids.

What is wrong with us?

9. Davyj

Davyj

Nice bit of work. One step closer to back on the road. congrats.

10. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

I'm trying to find a similar opportunity, where the other non work stuff will allow a several days of solid work.
    great job on the 55

11. Goatdave

Goatdave

I was thinking about doing the same thing. It's hard to make progress when I get about 4 hours a week to work on project.
    Your 55 looks cool keep it up!

12. Hey, the car just doesn't look the same without it's yeller paint. What color are you going to paint it ?

13. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

We call em 'mental' days.;)

14. Abomb

Abomb

Stock style 2 tone, wimbelton white roof, trunk and and 1/4's, orange everything else.

Years ago I had huge plans for my first ever tri 5, and this is as far as I ever got though..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  15. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Man O Man can't wait to see that Orange!:D

16. Doing house/Saltcar stuff right now...............well, more salt car. Tomorrow, take the kid and grampa with me to the swapmeet. Then taking Monday off to burn a vacation day and work on the Strawshop! I was on call all last weekend and told the boss I needed a laborday.

Car looks great, like to see you guys again. I AM coming to Jays BBQ in Kansas next spring even if I gotta ride my bike down there.

17. Abomb

Abomb

Me niether, unfortunatley, that guy working on it is slow, and busy with other things....you think your BIL would take on a charity case ???

Where were you last weekend ??? I at least got to see your lovely wife...

18. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

I can't speak for ol BCR but I can assure you he would make it perfect.:D AS far as last weekend our babysitter bailed, the wife had to work soooo I worked on the house. :cool: No biggee it has to be done. Lady B has bein givin' me crap about starting other projects and not havin' the house restored yet. Eh...wattayagonnado.:rolleyes:

19. BCR

BCR

Finish your frickin house already...geez how long have you lived there.

Then come finish mine!

20. BCR

BCR

No more charity:eek:... Need more time and money for my wife's car which has been setting for a few years now.

Orange and white. Sounds cool.

21. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

22. BCR

BCR

Well I ain't gonna go and finish the house....I'm gonna be right here....having fun as usual.

23. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

HAAAAHAHA...no wait is that YOU sayin' that or ME!:D:cool:

24. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Sorry 'bout hi-jackin' your thread Chris. But...you know I haven't seen any update pics in a while so I figured I'd bump ya to the top.:D

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like it was a well spent week. I was wanting to do the sam thing next week when my wife and daughter are visiting in Texas and won't be in the way of projects but we have too many people gone at work now.

I plan to get the redo in the bathroom finished while I can leave the door off all week and finish the tile and paint work without being interrupted. I can work on the truck or Model A while paint or tile grout drys in the bathroom.

26. BCR

BCR

Oh yea, are you keeping the black interior? Just curious.

27. wizzard23

wizzard23

Lookin' good A=Bomb. Love your color choice!

28. Abomb

Abomb

Update....looks the same only straighter, which you can't see in pictures of a car in primer. I spent about 8 hours over the weekend pulling lows, shrinking highs, filling, sanding and repeating....then primed it again. I swear, for bodywork, the stud welding gun along with a shrinking tip is the world's greatest invention.

The interior will stay black, but all the painted stuff is going to be orange. I do have an old singer industrial machine, and I'm going to try sewing up some pleats. It's not a walking foot machine, so I don't know if it'll get the job done or not....if not, there's a local guy willing to help me out, and teach me a few things... he's wanting out of the upholstry business, and looking for someone to take his place. I don't have enough time for that, but would really like to be able to do my own stuff.

29. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

after 30 years at one job I am on permanent vacation now. I have been working my ass off ever since I quit!

30. Abomb

Abomb

I wish I was where you are, I'm afraid I might not ever be though.....