Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects So, I picked this up today.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Miked0002, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Miked0002

Miked0002

I know, it’s a pos but I’ve always wanted a late 40’s early 50’s car to build. It’s going to be a ton of work but I like to think I can fix it. The best part is I only paid 200 bucks for it and it has a title. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Welcome! and good luck with it. Keep us informed on the build.

3. Miked0002

Miked0002

Hey thanks, I definitely will. I have absolutely no idea where to start haha. I guess it’s time for me to get a plan together

4. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Sweet Ride! I'd leave the Body just the way it is.
    Check out my '49 Build. Don't hesitate to ask if you need help!

Ron Funkhouser likes this.

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Congrads on your purchase. Those cars are easy to fix and parts are plentiful.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Miked0002 likes this.
  6. Miked0002

Miked0002

It’s pretty banged up in the front. Plus I think I’m more of a flat black kinda guy. Haha. I’ll definitely check yours out. Thanks for offering advice. I’ve never messed with anything this old so I’m sure I’ll need it!!!

7. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Step 1. Get rid of all the Stink! Throw everything with material away, and give the car a good scrubbing.
    (many people don't realize how much toxic mold can be in cars) Especially if there are any little ones around.
    Step 2. Deal with everything that once held fluid. Most of it will be cheaper to replace than clean, like lines and tank.

8. It's a tank! Cool, now you can make it your avatar pic when you fill out your profile.

Miked0002 likes this.
  9. Miked0002

Miked0002

I was actually checking your car out earlier. It’s pretty sweet man. Do you need anything for it yet? I’ll be getting rid of my trim, engine and trans and probably the rear after awhile. Also, I’m a delivery driver and find myself up in mass quite-a-bit.

10. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Thanks! Just wrapping up my Build.
    Where are you from?
    Let me know next time you're in the area, you can swing by and check out our Shop in Natick, MA.

Attached Files:

biggeorge likes this.
  11. Miked0002

Miked0002

I’m in Pennsylvania. I was just up there a few days ago in Andover I believe. I deliver things all over the east coast. I’ll definitely let you know know when I’m up that way again.

chevy57dude likes this.
  12. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

I like it! Will be fun and easy to work on! Best to you!

Miked0002 likes this.
  13. Miked0002

Miked0002

Thanks buddy

14. I don't think it's a p.o.s. at all. You gotta start somewhere and a lot of us started out with more doors than we wanted. I think you scored for the price!

Miked0002 likes this.
  15. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

You done good for that money.You got a lot more car than I did when I bought my 50 ford! As has already been said those cars are easy to work on and parts are available.I would clean it up inside and out,rebuild the brakes and see if you can get it running.Interested to see where this goes.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd agree that back in the day a lot of guys started with a 4 door because they were pretty cheap compared to a two door or a hard top.
    It looks like you have somewhat of a plan with little or no chrome and a simple paint job. Since the nose is pretty well beyond most guys hammer and dolly skills I'd pull the whole nose off and then figure out what I was going to save and what I was going to change on the rest of it but to me less change is a lot better than getting carried away on that car. Nosed and decked, a reduction in side chrome and lowered and maybe frenched headlights and custom taillights and done as far as mods on the outside. You can probably accomplish a heck of a lot on it before even finding a nose for it or having one find you.

Miked0002 likes this.
  17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

first thing you need to do is get a catalog from chevsofthe40s.com. they sell all kinds of good stuff for these cars.
    $200.00!!!! at that price I would buy 20 or 30 of them. I parted out a crusty 51 and a 53 and got about $3,000 worth of ebay sales from each one.

Miked0002 likes this.
  18. Latigo

Latigo

Not a P.O.S. in my book. Those are good looking cars. Lots of parts available. They look good as a 4 door too. Wheels, tires and a good nose down stance and you're ready to roll.

Miked0002 likes this.
  19. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Nice find! I really like those little Chevys.

Miked0002 likes this.
  20. Nice. A good one to start with.Bruce.

Miked0002 likes this.
  21. Great buy. Get it a cleaned up and see what it looks like.

22. Miked0002

Miked0002

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Unfortunately, the floors and seats were not able to withstand the years of neglect

23. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bad floors are to be expected, especially in your neck of the woods. Think of it as an out-of-sight opportunity to hone your welding skills. Floor welds don't need to be pretty, just solid. Welcome to the incurable obsession of Hamb-friendly cars.

Miked0002 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  24. Miked0002

Miked0002

Yea, you’re right. I wasn’t expecting them to be solid, just hoping I guess. It’s all good though.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. Slopok

Slopok

Popular phrase around here is "It'll Buff Out", sure wish I was 33 again!:cool:

Miked0002 likes this.
  26. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

27. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might not know it...but you already know some important things. 1-you know it's a car you like 2-your not looking at it thru "rose colored glasses" 3-you know it needs work 4-and it sounds like your not afraid to try. So get at it and good luck! Gene.

Miked0002 likes this.
  28. Falcon H

Falcon H
    from Waco Texas

Not a POS at all! Congratulations on your find!

Miked0002 likes this.
  29. blackout78666

blackout78666

Nice!!! We just finished a 51/52 build. Have the pass fender (I think) and a bunch of leftover parts. I will DONATE them to your project if you cover shipping. I use fastenal store to store. So that's FREE PASS FENDERS and whatever else I can find. Great cars. Congrats dude. Caught me on a good day

belair and Miked0002 like this.
  30. Miked0002

Miked0002

That would be so awesome. Where are you located. I happen to kind of own a delivery business and can pick a run up that would deliver near you. I mostly stay on the east coast though