Register now to get rid of these ads!

So, I just traded a clock for a 1954 Pontiac

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scofflaw, Jul 9, 2008.

1. scofflaw

scofflaw
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

As if I needed any more distractions, I just picked this virtually unmolested 66,000 mi. classic for the price of one BIG ASS clock.

It's going to be a year before my 33PU is done, maybe longer If I keep changing my mind, I need something I have a prayer of driving this summer.

The "Big Chief" came loaded with a full tank of 20+ year old gas, and a rt. side custom guardrail body treatment.

All I need to make this thing respectable is some donor car panels to fix the rust in both rt. and left rear door dogleg areas, and rt a tail light/ quarter panel section.

Anybody have anything?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  2. fiftyfiveford

fiftyfiveford

Cool, must have been some clock!

3. 54BOMB

54BOMB

That cracks me up, how did this deal come around?

4. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

Lets see this clock, The clock will show up on the road show for 2 million or somthing lol

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008

5. Flat_Broke

Flat_Broke

awesome!
    i take it that the ballpoint pen in the carb and #2 sparkplug at an angle means it's not a runner just yet?

6. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Where the hell do you people find theses things?
    Look at that frickin battery!
    How about that new style antenna!
    That interior is sweet man,It all looks good enough to beat around town in...
    But I don't really see the passenger side or the rust you speak of!

7. <<< The "Big Chief" came loaded with a full tank of 20+ year old gas,body and a rt. side custom guardrail body treatment. >>>

Did you get rid of the body?

8. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Sounds like one hellva deal unless you see the dude on "antique roadshow" and they are telling him it was George Washington's clock that he floated across the Delaware river with and it's worth more money than the domestic gross profit of Wal-Mart.

9. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Need a new clock?

10. skidsteer

skidsteer

So --- what time is it? Oh that's right, I'll bet you probably don't really care now.

11. scofflaw

scofflaw
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

The clock was the ex wife's. She had no place to put it and after three years of free storage I was tired of it being in the way. It was "Majestic" just totally not my style.
    I had it on Craig's List (God, I love that site) and had no hits, so I changed the add to reflect the sort of trades I was willing to consider. 3hrs later BAM , I get a call from this dude in Toledo who had been "Admiring" the clock, but had no cash to buy it. He was actually in the process of listing the car when he decided to look at my clock ad again. The ad I had JUST CHANGED!!!
    He called and sent some pictures and I accepted; I took him the clock since I had to tow the car home anyway.

The pen in the carb wasn't there when I arrived, guess he lost it, I was counting on that pen.......
    The #2 plug was just out laying there, dude wanted to show me how clean the plugs were. Hell it cranks over, I looked down the plug hole w/ a micro light, didn't see or feel a hole in the piston...I made the Deal.

12. scofflaw

scofflaw
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

I'm going to take some pictures of the damage and post them tonight....after I pop the trunk. I wonder what treasures are hiding inside?:rolleyes:

13. JaBoney

JaBoney

Those straight 8's are Soooooo cool and do have a lot of Ball's too! I drove one I almost bought and it was real nice 2-door, too. The non power steering with manual trans was a real chore around town though. Like a work out at the gym!

Love the dash on those Indian's.

14. Love that dash and steering wheel. Great story on the trade!

15. talk about a trade. Lucky. I know the feeling of popping the trunk, I found some goodies in there too. It's as good as Christmas. :D

16. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Nice trade. I've got some parts lying around that may help when you get into it. Drop me a PM. Sorry though, no sheetmetal, mostly take offs.

17. hate to say it but ex wives aren't so bad after all!

18. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

thats a real cool deal, my friend sold a 55 Chev ragtop and bought a 7 acre farm with a lot of buildings, there Full of cars now!

19. Awesome! Just wait, this car will end up being one of your favorites for numerous reasons, including the price.

20. toledobill

toledobill

Yeah -- here in Toledo we're just nuts about them tick-tocks.

21. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That's rad. Almost as rad as my ex wife calling me after a year and a half to come get her Bronco II I got for her because it had been declared "abandoned" by the city and was facing an impound deadline. "it doesn't run. You can just come get it if you want it. Oh and it got hit by the snow plow"

WTF?

So I drive into the city to take a look with a buddy. It's fine. Just had a scratch from the plow. (like a snow plow would leave only a scratch!) Got it to run. Drove it home. Spent a few bucks on a tuneup and drove it for 3 years until the tranny seal blew. As an added bonus, I got to crow just a little about how great my life was now without her! :D

22. Holy Christ!!! I ran out in the garage to make sure my 54 was still out there! I have a 2 door twin to that thing that purrs like a kitten.....you're gonna like the Poncho.:D

23. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

i know this is a car board, but ill be damned if i dont wanna see that clock!

24. NotNuRodz

NotNuRodz

I think you might of gotten the better end of the deal! cant wait to see if you find anything in the trunk.....maybe the guy use to be a pirate and forgot to get his gold out of the trunk...or maybe he was just kookoo for clocks

25. Crestliner

Crestliner

Hey, I have a bunch of antique clocks and will trade for cars, parts, or dollars.

26. I've had a string of those old Ponchos. Hard steering, low power [they're not wailers] but I still love 'em. The 53s and 54s came with 2 barrels on their 6 bangers but I see yours is a straight 8. If you dont' over rev it and keep the oil changed, it'll last forever.
    I usta car-pool to lunch in high-school with a buddy who drove his parent's tutone green 53 just like yours. He totally hated the car but when 6 of us all wanted to go somewhere together, we always took Bill'd folks' 53 poncho 4 door. Never let us down. Good but not exciting transportation. Don't expect much over 15-17 MPG but you can change the third member with one from a 55-56 with 3.23 gears if your has low gears...
    I love the "juke-box" dashes in those 53-54s.
    My buddy, Dennis scraps old pontiacs and has a few 53-54s PM me if you need his contact info..
    Rocky

Attached Files:

27. reversehalo

reversehalo
    from Waxhaw, NC

Weird where they put the horns in those things.

28. Buzznut

Buzznut

One of my favorite old rides...I'm jealous!!! I've been looking at a '53 in the Dakots for a month or so now...I just need the cash to get it here and it's mine.

Great find and awesome deal...have fun with it.

29. scofflaw

scofflaw
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

The car didn't come with a trunk key and rather than try to monkey around picking or popping the lock, I decided to remove the back seat and get at the trunk that way.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ahh the anticipation was better than the actual event. The trunk held old oven cleaner, Styrofoam cups, two jacks, a lot of broken glass, a spare tire , the rest of the battery box, old radio vacuum tubes, an old car vac, 6volt even...weird, a 1962 travel newspaper, pliers and a set of springs in a small canvas bag, a random 2x4, a throw rug, and the rest of the front bumper.

[​IMG]

"look Honey--Treasure"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  30. scofflaw

scofflaw
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

Here's the not so good side.........
    [​IMG]