Register now to get rid of these ads!

So I just Bought a 1953 international!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JAKE'S-Pumpkinella54, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Few questions dumb questions . it a 53 with a 51 grill i think .
    title says L110 ... does that mean its a long bed ? havent gotten the truck yet ! i swear it looked like a a short bed to me when i looked at it .. how long is a short bed and how long is a long ?

2. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

short bed is about 80" total in lenght, i would maybe guess that the truck you are buying is a 1/2ton shortbed being its an L110. grills are fairly close to the same look on a few of the early 50's models. but hey i been wrong once or twice

3. Juggalo56

Juggalo56

the L is just a designation for the model. like the 41-46 were K and the 47-49 were KB the 50-59 were designated with an L

4. pool

pool

My 57 S-100 short bed measures 78 inches. I think the 110 series had heavy duty springs but were available in short and long beds.

5. pool

pool

The 50 to 53 were designated L 54-55 were R and late 55-57 were the S series.

6. sweet ya i think it was like 6 foot 7 inches. its a half ton . sweet . it has a olds rear end . and a stock front end . i think the front stock bolt pattern 4.5 am i right . ?
    also . i have yet to see truck but i know im gonna have to update the brakes anyone know what im gonna need to source for master ? is it floor mount . sorry havent gotten it yet and wana price some stuff .

7. here she is

Attached Files:

8. pool

pool

As for websites try oldihc.org they've changed it around lately but it's loaded with pic's that ought to help. There are getting to be a few binders on here also.

9. Terraizer

Terraizer

That is a 1951-1952 L series do to it haveing exposed hinges, 1949-1950 has hiden hinges, the L was built from Nov 1949-1952. It could have been registed or titled as a 1953 if that was the year it sold, IH would title there trucks when they sold. But 1953-1955 is a R which that is not. The 110 is a 1/2 ton and could be either a 115" wheelbase shortbed or 127" wheelbase Long bed. OldIHc is a good web page.

10. Terraizer

Terraizer

Yours is a 115" shortbed.

11. OK so mine is titled as a 53 but it says its a L 110 on the truck.. and the title says l110. Oh and you can see the hinges from the out side ....... so what does this tell us ?

12. nutajunka

nutajunka

I had a 55 IH 3/4 ton with a 10 foot bed. A collecter when nut's over it and he took it home after he paid for it. Funny thing about that truck was that it had a perfect body, but they stored grain in the cab in bags and mice got into the bags and of course left about 4 inches of manure in it's floor board, but after taking it to the car wash, there was factory black paint in perfect shape on the floor boards...:eek:

13. Terraizer

Terraizer

1952 L-110 titled when sold as a 1953. The L series production was from Nov 1949-late 1952, In 1953 the R line replaced the L which is the same truck with a differnt grill and hood, and they offered a 100 series under the 110 which was a light duty 1/2 ton. The Comfo vision cab was used in alot of IH models and other brands (diamond T) and years 1949-1969 (only on big trucks after 1957).

14. thanks T ........ whats the cheapest way to lower this bad boy

15. Terraizer

Terraizer

Cheapest would be to Flip the axles over the springs to lower it or reverse the eyes on the springs. Is the grill rusty on your truck? The L and R's rust pretty bad in the grill under the turnsignals, finding clean ones can be pretty difficult.

16. bfairlane

bfairlane
    from minnesota

My neighbor is building a 56-57 ih we cut up a 87 caprice wagon the front sec was the same width and a little bolting and welding worked great.the rear axel on the ih leafs.all modern under.305 runs great.i think the cost of the donor wagon about 350.00.perfect truck when its done.good luck:D.

17. ya my grill is pretty banged up . truck has some cool natural rust to it . . This thing is gonna be ugly to look at but safe and very fast , I have a pontiac 400 for it . but little by little . It have a posi rear end, and a running original motor , Im gonna leave that in it till I work out the brakes and stuff like that ,,...... I saw that site , Im just so use to the way the hamb runs its like going back in time with the way other fourms run ... its just harder to find info in general for this beast . As far as brakes go these came with the master cylinder under the floor right ? ( dont have it yet) I need to update front brakes and doner cars that work?? This project is gonna be super budget. Thanks to everyone who is helping me out . I got this truck cuz i think its gonna look bad ass on the ground! Not sure lwhat type of wheels? I have my 54 to go slow , my t37 to go fast ,,,, I guess im gonna be low and fast ...

18. hotrodihc

hotrodihc
    from London Ont

The L and R series have different gills. L and R series did not change from 1950 to 1955. In 55 the split back window became one big window. Then in 56 a total change. one way to tellif it is a short box is where the spare tire is mounted. If there is a big dent in the driver side fender. For the spare tire. Then u have a short box. If there is enough room between the rear fender and the cab with no dent in fender. Then u have a long box.

19. hotrodihc

hotrodihc
    from London Ont

my avator pic is a 55 r110 series.