Register now to get rid of these ads!

So, I get this call to go on a shop tour....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocket88, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Rocket88

Rocket88

A buddy of mine calls me at work, and says what are you doing tonite? Do you want to go on a shop tour with me?
    He didn't have to ask me twice.
    He picks me up in his Henry J and off we go, we meet up with a few guys in Bellingham and cruise down to Alger.
    We end up at Jim Hume's shop!
    For those of you that don't know the name, he's the guy building the Treit and Davenport Streamliner also known as Project 550!
    We walk into the shop and there she is, all 42 feet and 8000 lbs of her! What a machine!! Two 500 inch blown alcohol hemi's making a total of over 5000 horsepower.
    Words can't adequatly describe the quality of this car. Every single detail has not been overlooked. The work that Jim has done on thing is beyond belief, he is not a craftsman, he is a true artist with wood and metal.
    He gave us a metal shaping demo with the english wheel, showed us some tricks and shared some tips. The shot bags he uses were given to him by Tony Nancy in the early 70's.
    Then he showed us how to gas weld aluminum together using a mix of hydrogen and oxygen, truly impressive!
    And the best part, he's a Rocketeer! ...lol...
    He's been into early Old's his whole life! He had a real cool Weiand Drag Star Old's manifold hanging on the wall.
    Truly a memorable evening!
    I boosted this pic off another site, I brought my digi but it's a piece O crap.

[​IMG]

Here's a couple links where you can check out some of his work.

http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/communityalbums.cgi?action=openalbum&albumid=9980152734398&ownerid=9990104369702

http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/communityalbums.cgi?action=openalbum&albumid=9980137908524&ownerid=9990104369702

http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/communityalbums.cgi?action=openalbum&albumid=9980140485378&ownerid=9990104369702

2. old beet

old beet

Jim can do metal work and wood work as good as anyone on earth. Builds engraved rockin chairs, in the style of the best gunstocks. He could make a fender out of a beer can!!!!..............OLDBEET

3. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Very neat and WoW that sucker is long.......I alway's enjoy looking at the craftsmanship that goes into the SALT racers. It is great to see under the skin of the cars. Makes me wonder about how the progress is on Kent Fullers car? Mike? Pix?

Chris Nelson
    Kansas