Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods So I Found A Model A....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4 pedals, Jun 13, 2011.

1. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I was out this weekend with a friend that has permission to be on some property that belongs to friends of his. We went out because he needed to pick up an engine, but that's another story. My buddy, the owner, and the owner's son have a personal junkyard with a variety of old cars and trucks. Mostly 70's Ford pickups, but buried way in the back was a Model A truck. It's bigger than a pickup, probably a 10-12 foot flat bed on it, and missing lots of pieces. I'm guessing somebody before used it for a parts truck. It's a closed cab, my preference where I live, but that's about it. It's missing the roof and doors, just a shell, but only surface rust on it, still on the frame, don't think there's any real holes in it. Sitting on a trailer next to it is what appears to be a bare Model A frame and seperate on top of that is an axle and wishbone assembly.

I've wanted either a phonebooth pickup or heavily chopped A coupe for a long time now, but the right opportunity hasn't presented itself. I'm really excited about picking this up if a deal can be made.

Devin

2. badshifter

badshifter

Cool find but price doors first. It's real easy to pay a grand for a pair of doors.

3. alchemy

alchemy

30-31 Model A pickup doors are the same as sedan and reasonably priced (maybe $400 for a pair of really cherry ones). 28-29 pickup doors are the expensive ones.

Does this truck have a really square backside (28-29) or the slightly rounded (30-31)?

4. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

You guys are scaring me.. I moved my sedan (with doors) out onto the back side of
    my heavy treed 10 acres. I don't live there yet, so I haven't checked on her for
    over a month. I think I need to go check and make sure she still has her doors... :)

5. You better go check Rich, I had my 28-29 doors stolen off my property. I had just finished patching, sanding and priming them. Put them away so that i could use them when i got my coupe ready. Started working on the coupe and went to pick up the doors... GONE!

As well as all my body tools...

6. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I believe, for what it's worth, that 26-27 T coupe doors will interchange with 28-29 pickup doors. Could widen the search if it becomes possible.

7. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

Damn, sorry to hear that... I know what I'm doing after work today.. I'm going to
    to thinking about it all day now. My place is out where folks are scarce. I have good
    neighbors on both sides of my place, but that won't stop someone from walking in
    from the back side.

8. haha, my doors were stashed in a round top shop 10 miles from the closest town. but people knew i had car parts out there. Im suprised they didnt take any parts to the other cars that were sitting there(some are alot more valuable then just a damn model a haha.)

9. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I had no idea doors could be so expensive! The deal isn't done yet, so I'm waiting to hear back for the time being. There are rumors of complete cars (nice) that used to be there, so more may be around that I'm not aware of. If I do pick it up, with just the bare cab as it is, how do I identify the year? I don't expect to find a VIN on the thing. Most likely be at least a month before I can get out there again.

Devin

10. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

get it. build the truck on the A frame make up a quicky bed with some bends and some steel tubing. get it to a roller stage. then sell it and buy a coupe project, and also youll have had some practice on the truck.

11. The hinges are different, but otherwise yes they interchange.

12. Put a picture of it on here and we'll tell you the year.

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

pictures , or it never happened

14. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

x2... seems to be quite a few of these appearing lately.

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

your right, and they seem to die off pretty fast once asked to produce proof..:confused:

16. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Wasn't smart enough to bring a camera with me. And I wouldn't post them anyway without the current owner's permission. There'll be pics if I bring it home.

Devin