Register now to get rid of these ads!

So I feel like an idiot, but....starter removal question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nailhead65, Sep 13, 2009.

1. nailhead65

nailhead65

Hello all,

So I pulled the 215 6 cyl and 3 speed stick out of my 53 Ford today and I can't get the starter out. I took all the bolts out of the starter while it was in the car and tried to get it out to no avail. I needed to take the trans out anyway so I just pulled them both out at once. I got the motor and tranny sitting on the shop floor with all the bolts out but I still can't get the starter out. I tried turning it to get the teeth to line up so it would slip past the ring gear but the starter still won't budge. It does not move one bit. I tried tapping it with a hammer, turning the motor over, turning the starter over, spraying it with pb blaster, etc. I thought I was missing a bolt but I checked it over top and bottom, took the inspection plate off and I cannot see anywhere that it could be hanging up. I also tried a prybar between the block and trans with no luck. The opposite side pulled out enough to pull away from the dowel pins but that damn starter is still stuck in there. I just figured I would ask on here to make sure I wasn't missing something before I go trying to pry harder and end up breaking something.

Any ideas?

2. belair

belair

Is thee a bolt between the starter and the block that you can't see?

3. nailhead65

nailhead65

I looked everywhere for a 3rd bolt but there is definitely not one unless it's hidden somewhere very well. I think these starters only had 2 bolts to hold them in.

4. the old ford tractors have 3 bolts. keep checking its between the block and starter will hidden.

5. they have 3 bolt,s and some of them u need a curved wrench to get it out

6. nailhead65

nailhead65

I had a feeling there was another bolt but I cannot find it for the life of me. If there is one between the block and the starter, I have no idea how I'm gonna get it out...I can't even see in there!

7. Big Pete

Big Pete

Some guys used to cheat and stud one starter bolt for ease of future replacement. Mabye it looks like an electrical terminal??

8. nailhead65

nailhead65

Yeah....I definitely feel like an idiot. I'll take another look at it later today and let you guys know if I've been triumphant. I can't believe I'm having such difficulty taking out a damn starter!

9. 62rebel

62rebel

i had a hell of a time taking the starter off a 239 flattie w/fordomatic, until i realized that the bolts holding the starter TOGETHER were actually holding it IN. loosen those and see if things change. if they do, take 'em out, keeping the starter "assembled" while you do. just sayin this might be the case. never had the starter off my '54 six.

10. nailhead65

nailhead65

Thank you. I realized that today when I went back to my shop. I got the starter out. Who the hell thought about taking the bolts out of the front of the starter would be the ones holding it in!

Thanks for all the help guys.

11. wvenfield

wvenfield

I figured it was just your magnetic personality holding it in.

12. nailhead65

nailhead65

Oh jeez...with that kind of joke, I almost think my grandfather's on this board! Haha.