Register now to get rid of these ads!

So I bought this yesterday....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratmotor, May 15, 2011.

1. I think I'll just flip it so I can buy some more some where else.I was going to just part it out but since it is a 2 door someone might be able to save it.Price was right....1939 Plymouth! Looks like 49 Ford tail lights on it?:D

Attached Files:

2. George

George

U mean '39 Ford teardrops?

3. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

[​IMG]

pic by Bad bob

here's a car we worked on. the customer bought this running & driving car to use the parts on a 39 plymouth woody we were putting together for him.

4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

those aren't '39 teardrops

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

No, I don't think he does...look more like '49 Ford taillights to me as well.

R-

6. moefuzz

moefuzz

Great Find,

But I was under the impression that '39 Plymouths had squarish headlights?

39=
    [​IMG]

Perhaps there were different levels of trim???,
    Maybe yours is the Upscale model for 1939 and as such was slightly more modern in design?

7. Harms Way

Harms Way

Nope ! he means 49 Ford,... take a look.

8. The headlights look wrong also. Look close and it looks like they don't quite cover the fender holes. Either way it was $200.00 well spent.The drivers side rear fender is laying beside the car....

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Please check your PM message!

10. Toner283

Toner283

The Canadian 39 dodges were very similar to the American 39 Plymouths. Mostly just trim differences. The American 39 Dodges were a larger car, wheelbase was longer & no sheetmetal interchanges.

Ratmotor, you are in for a whole new learning curve. There are a bunch of subtle differences in the Dodges/Plymouths when you are trying to put one together. Looks like a cool project, any plans for it so far?

Here is a couple of pics of our Canadian 39 dodge sedan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Since '39 was the last year for non-sealed beams, there were a number of conversion kits for the '39 to convert to round sealed beam headlights, they were popular back in the 40s and 50s. If you look for pictures of Johnny Carson's 1939 Chrysler, you'll see such a kit has been put on. So that might be what has happened to this car - and they might have used the wrong kit.

12. I just went and looked at the car closer and it's in worse condition than I thought. Oh well...straight bumpers with the grill guard is worth what I paid for it. Most of the original glass is good too.Even the rad is still in it!

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

That grille trim looks a lot nicer that the US version IMO. [​IMG]

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I would like to build a 39 Plymouth,I did have a very rare 39 sedan delivery but had to sell it due to the city on my case for too many vehicles. Unfortunately I sold all the extra parts too but if one was almost complete I might be interested in getting another.

15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The head lights look like aftermarket sealed beam upgrades sold in the 40s. At least the right one does.

16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The headlights look like 40 or 41 parts since they dont fit the openings,the 39 sedan delivery I owned had aftermarket sealed beam conversions in it and they fit the fender good.

17. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

They look like '41 Plymouth headlight bezels to me. But you didn't get hurt if that only cost $200. If it doesnt sell you could part it out for a lot more.

18. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Jc whitney and other after marketeers sold seal beam conversion kits for them in the mid 40's so the owner could take out the classic bulb and reflector styled head lamps for new modern sealed beams for safey.... Lots of 39's have had their original eye poked out in favor of the aftermarket stuff.

If you look at 39's in general it seems to have been the year with a lot of experemental headlamp designs. Squares, Ovals, elipses, all kinds of stuff out ther for 30 only.

the 39 Graham was the best example of taking the idea to extremes

[​IMG]

While Lincoln probably did the best job

[​IMG]

19. i think those tailights are stock units!

20. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

1939 Plymlouth's have the square headlights.... 1940-41 have the tear drop style lights. Similar to '39-'40 Ford headlights.

In the first picture, if you take a look at the headlight closest to you, it seems as though the rim of the headlight compartment have been somewhat hacked up...... Is it possible that they swapped them over?

HC.

21. koolkemp

koolkemp

They are 49-50 Fords....

22. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

P.O. simply used some other Mopar headlight door assy so he could use Sealed Beams. Just like most '38-'39 Fords used '40 lights.

23. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Its a killer deal for $200. It would be a great project for an ambitious guy on a budget (read that; doing most of your own work), who wanted an old sedan to take the family to cruise nights, etc. Who says you can't afford to get into old cars? Find a wrecked Mopar for a V8 drivetrain......he might even be able to get his $ out of it or trade up to something else later.

I'd hate to see it parted out, but if someone can part out a car such as the one Low Springs pictured, you can't feel too bad..