Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs So..... I bought a fresh 53 Vicky that I need to make my own....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FalconMan, May 11, 2017.

1. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I got a chance to get it lowered. Aerostar springs in the front for 2.5 inches and 3 inch lowering blocks on the rear. Looks MUCH better.

Also, I flipped the white walls in, removed the bumper guards, and put a set of 53 Desoto full caps on. The caps don't stay on very well with the chrome rims. I think the surface is too smooth for the caps to stay... any ideas ?

Before
    20170504_141316_resized_3.jpg

After
    20170517_174632_resized_1.jpg

20170517_174702_resized_1.jpg

20170517_174717_resized_1.jpg

2. Squablow

Squablow

Lowering looks great, as do the flipped tires and the shaved bumper guards.. The caps are good looking too I guess but I'd be really worried about one coming off and banging into the rear quarter panel. I think I'd run the chrome steel wheels without caps, they're really not bad looking.

kiwijeff likes this.
  3. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I just got the Vicky back from the upholstery shop. I had the same guy who did my Deuce roadster last year do this car; Hamber 8-Track. He is close by (Hamel, MN) and does awesome work. (My roadster build thread: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/building-a-traditional-32-roadster-beater.1002339/)

I decided to go with original style pattern for the seats and door panels. He did the complete interior.... including headliner, carpet, and seat belts.

Here are some photos. Hopefully the white will not be too hard to keep clean. I thought of doing black and red, but the white just looks better. Someday get the wide whites to go with it. The original plan was to paint the roof white, but I think I will leave it red for now. However, I think I need to paint the steering wheel red.

20170924_103909_resized.jpg

20170924_103934_resized.jpg

20170924_103848_resized.jpg

20170924_103855_resized.jpg

4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Maybe it doesn't matter, but the front door armrests are on backwards. The drivers armrest is on the passengers door and vise-versa. Some purist might give you grief at a carshow. Just to let you know, if you didn`t know already.

5. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

That's a nice car. I had a 53 Vic once...for only about 3hrs.

6. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Hmmmmm ... didn't know that since the car came in pieces. I'll see if I can switch them without issues. Thanks !

stanlow69 likes this.
  7. insinna

insinna

52 &53 use king pins and Ford areostar springs are what you are thinking of

Sent from my Alcatel 5085C using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

If you have the bucks you can go this route: https://www.performanceonline.com/1949-53-Ford-Custom-Stage-2-Tubular-Control-Arm-Suspension-Kit/ So you don't need a Mustang II and you could do this upgrade from the 1952-59 Ford Group check out the posts from #5 on down. Also where to get a donor: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/35-...safe-no-ebay-module-needed-pics-454530-2.html

9. Just thinking out loud here after checking out the performance link above. You spend near 2K for there kit and it don't address anything that makes your Car drive poorly? The King Pin's have very little to do with Wanderitus. Your supposed to connect there parts to the worn out steering gear and used up tie rod ends and center link? If those were addressed first you probably wouldn't need to convert to Ball Joints. Then comes the new issue of gearing up the Brake system for the Disc Brakes. Unless I had nothing on the Frame to start with I think I'd just pass. By the way FalconMan, I like hubcaps and your right, they don't stay on Chrome wheels very good. And all white upholstery requires constant cleaning. Here's a couple photos of mine. I really like your car.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files:

10. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Wow ... you have way more white than me ! What do you use to keep it clean ? BTW, Nice car !

11. I have used many different products before sticking with Meguiars #39. It's kind of hard to find on the shelf but my local auto paint store stocks it. What I like over other brands is it's slow drying while working it. I use a stiff finger nail brush to scrub in the grain and a light spritz with water and a pure white cotton hand towel to wipe dry. Once done it's never sticky even on a hot day when ya brake a sweat. Can't say that about any of the other products I've used. Also if you ever ware a new pair of Levie's on a hot day and transfer that Blue Dye to the upholstery the Meguiars will take it off with way less work than even Simple Green. For me it's just the right stuff.
    Thanks, the little Ford is a ton of Fun for sure.
    The Wizzard

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  12. I once dated a girl called Vicky, we called her Sticky Vicky, due to......

Sorry, got sidetracked!
    This was a great score, congrats.

bobss396 likes this.
  13. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Thanks for your feedback... I'll have to give it a try. However, I swore off all Meguairs products since my good buddy hamber 'bull' is the marketing director for Wizards products.....too funny since you call yourself the wizzard .... :) I sure Bull will tell me what to use. His model A tudor is full of white !

I love your car ... I hope I can keep mine as clean as yours ....