Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods So how many guys here running a blown Hemi?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardgenius, Jan 20, 2015.

1. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Like it says looking to see who,s running a blown early Hemi. I was going to go the naturally aspirated route with my 34 but have now gone back to my original plan which was to use a 6-71.

2. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Been running one for 45 years.....in my mind.;)

3. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER

[​IMG]
    We are.

kiwijeff likes this.
  4. is there anything else? been running and racing one for years. you go from a boy to a man throwing a blower on a hemi. there is a difference.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

I prefer the 426. Costs similar to build a blown 426 as a 392 if you're starting from nothing. Also the 426 is more rugged, makes more power.

6. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

The 426 is a great engine but it is longer and heavier than an early Hemi. If you put a Chevy water pump on the front of an early Hemi it will fit length wise as a SBC. I moved the front crossmember 2" forward and 2" blower belt and have room for a mechanical clutch fan. 14,000miles on the one in the avatar.

Ago

7. 396_425

396_425
    from Clovis, NM

IMG_0341.JPG My 41 really likes a blown 392.

kiwijeff likes this.
  8. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

I'm running a 392 with a image.jpg vintage 6-71 and Delta Magnesium drive system.

kiwijeff likes this.
  9. Same exact thing mulling around in my mind with my 34....Hemis really look and perform great with super chargers. I'm struggling a bit as my motor is already rebuilt (stock pistons and CR) but i'm into the whole motor really, really right (I bought and sold the truck to get the fresh 392 it came with).

10. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Some great looking engines here. Right that's it I,m getting a blower. In the past I,ve taken them off old Diesel engines and converted them myself but they are getting harder to find around here so might have to spend a bit more and get one already done and polished.

11. porknbeaner

porknbeaner

Haven't seen Kerry on here for a while but he is running two, one in his driver coupe and one in his rail.

12. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Anyone got a preference for either Weiand or Cragar blower manifolds.?

13. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

What ever you pic don't buy a Magnesium one, I had too powder coat mine to make make look halfway nice !

14. hot heads has the best manifold.

15. JimSibley

JimSibley

I think I got one of those around here somewhere. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422244027.674902.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

kiwijeff likes this.
  16. heminh2o

heminh2o
    from Tulare, CA

What rods is everyone running in your blown hemi's? Here is the start of my first.... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422246407.340029.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    kiwijeff likes this.
  17. Yeah Beaner, I've been hiding. The 354 in the coupe has a vbelt drive I cooked up because I couldn't afford a Cragar drive. I run stock forged steel rods in her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 354 in the Dragmaster tossed a rod last august. I've got a machinist buddy bushing the pin end of some more Fowler billet aluminum rods and plan on getting her running in the next few months.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

The blower will make you real happy.........:)

19. i was running the hot head h-beams for the last few years with good success. last fall the water petcock vibrated opened up at the top of third gear. water got under the rt. side tire sending the rpms to 8900. it stretched the big end to the point were the rods are junk. so i got rid of the petcocks and went with bme alum rods. i was about 1 rpm from a disaster. the alum rods will live a lot longer at high rpm. its good insurance for my stick car if i should miss a shift.

20. one thing i do after i bolt the blower manifold down is to make sure the top surface its flat. i stuff the manifold with rags. then i cover the top surface with lay out dye. i have a 18x18x 1/2 alum plate with sand paper glued to it. i work the plate back and fourth until its flat. you would be surprised how distorted a manifold can get after its bolted down. any amount of distortion will be transferred to the blower case once its torqued in place. it only takes about .002 to cause rotor interference. i also machine the top to accept a o-ring so i can gat rid of the paper gaskets. the new retro style cases offer more support to the rear of the case reducing flex. little field makes great blowers.

21. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

GOOD TIP ON CHECKING FOR FLAT INTAKE. I WILL DEFINITLY DO THAT ON MINE.

22. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Found one at last, got a 6/71 and an old Weiand manifold here.Next up I need a snout.Got a selection of pullyes from previous projects.