Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods So how long does it take to make a dadgum frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Is the dadgum frame done already?
    2015-09-16-16-12-45-2136384461.jpeg

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Your new avatar is truly awesome...

brad2v likes this.
  3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

man, how did I miss this shit??!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. Model T1

Model T1

HA! Dadgum smart cat!:rolleyes:

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

George
    One time a friend said he blew a seal, I said; I thought you didn't like seafood.

3wLarry, Model T1 and falcongeorge like this.
  6. Not to get back on subject or anything, but just for reference, I know guys who could whip out a beautiful frame in a week, and I know guys who would still be setting up the jig after a month. If the guy is going to work 40 hours a week rather than drink beer half the time, it shouldn't be that complex a job.

cptn60 and 3wLarry like this.
  7. mike bowling

mike bowling

Just box an "A" frame and be done with it; there's gotta be someone out there that can box a damn frame for you?? A couple of days welding and grinding and you're off to the rodeo!

brad2v and 3wLarry like this.
  8. stimpy

stimpy

[​IMG]

I just planted mine last week they said it should be ready in 6-9 months if I water it daily ...

volvobrynk, '51 Norm, 3wLarry and 4 others like this.
  9. Model T1

Model T1

If you move it to your house in Illinois you won't have to water it, it rains nearly every dadgum day. It's babies that take 6-9 months!

volvobrynk and 3wLarry like this.
  10. -Brent-

-Brent-

Sinister Hot Rods in Lewisburg, Ohio (973) 472-4000 is building frames this weeks and can fit you in, no problems, according to them. They have a decent facility and look to be able to get stuff turned around quickly.

11. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

A couple of the 'Overhauled' cars were at the BJ auctions awhile back. They were all registered to the production company and not the 'worthy owners'... So much for reality, they probably took more than a week to build too.....

3wLarry likes this.
  12. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

My post was totally "tongue in cheek". I'd like to see them come to the northeast and overhaul one of our rust buckets in a week.:D

3wLarry likes this.
  13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Is everyone aware that 3W Larry has been officially renamed in another thread ?
    He is now frameless Larry. :D:D

14. metal man

metal man

I thought it was No Frame Larry ?

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That works too :D

volvobrynk and falcongeorge like this.
  16. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Hey thanks for the plug Brent! As others have brought up, it's not really the length of time it takes to build one that's the problem, it's getting a slot in the shop to do the work. I've got at least 18 months of complete builds lined up over here. I take on smaller jobs, like chassis builds, in between the long term projects but it is always a juggling act. I see Larry is looking for someone local but if he were to have me build it I'm afraid it would be a month before I could even start on it. I would be surprised if you could find a shop thats worth their salt that could get you in immediately unless you found someone with a cancellation on their hands. The few other local guys that I know are busy as heck too.

To answer Larry's question, if it's nothing too crazy, we can knock out a basic rolling hot rod chassis over here in about a week, depending on the options.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

T-bird brings up a good point;
    Larry....you might contact a couple of frame guys and ask them (all) if they could put you on a wait list and/or discuss with their on-deck customers if they minded jumping in line.
    It's worth a shot, as long as you communicate with all on your decision/outcome.

18. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

It takes them more than a week to edit the months of footage down to an hour. Rust buckets are easy when cameras are involved. They show them cutting out all of the rust and fitting a few small patch panels before they cut for commercial. When they come back, they have 'finished all of the rust repair' and have a nice freshly blasted rust free 'second' car while the original car is out back waiting for the scrap yard. It's kind of like their paint jobs. Only on TV can you seal, paint, sand and buff a car in 6 hours.

19. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I'm guessing w/a wetonwet paint system , adrying oven & enough man pwer , you probably could pull off a 6 hour paint job ??
    dave

20. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

That is the proper format as I understand it.

Value (3, 1, None) Item (Windows, Frame, Balls) Person (Larry)

21. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

thanks guys...feelin the love

kidcampbell71, volvobrynk and pitman like this.
  22. I like "no window
    frame Larry"

23. Man !!!
    This thread is going on longer than a frame build.

da34guy, patmanta, HD Driver and 2 others like this.
  24. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Man...this little rpu on a stock model A frame is speaking to me...love this look...found it in Hop Up IV page 61

P1080391-001.JPG

25. Budget36

Budget36

I was just thinking that;)

26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yes, do that, I like it too. Besides, at your age the extra height will make getting in and out easier.

27. :) ^^^ hahaha ! wow. Funny, but ouchie !

28. stimpy

stimpy

well I screwed up I added some miracle grow and it morphed [​IMG]

well back to square one ... :D:D

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. oldolds

oldolds

It would be tough to do. 1 color, no buff, yes. 2 colors prob. Intricate striping no. Do a bit of math. 1/2 hour to coat. Minimum 1/4 hour to dry. 3/4 hour per coat. That is just spray time. Now you need time to mask between colors. 1 coat sealer, 2-3 coats each color, 2- 10 coats clear. That is just paint time. We still didn't cut and buff. If you do it as the paint company teaches. Start wit 600 grit or so. Sand the project with finer grits 200 more each time to about 2500 grit. Then Meguiars wax process is at least 6 different grits until you hit finish wax A car can take 40 man hours that way, just to cut and buff. Most guys skip a few steps.

30. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

But in TV time, that's a little more than a commercial break. And that was my exact point, there is no way they are doing everything in 7 days. There just isn't enough hours for everything to happen no matter how many people are getting in each other's way.

brad2v likes this.