Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods So how long does it take to make a dadgum frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, Sep 12, 2015.

1. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

rant, sorta
    I need a custom frame made for my T rpu. (yes, I'm changing my mind on the '32 frame again). I want it to be made from 2x4 rect. tubing. It has to look like a tapered Model A frame from the firewall forward with a Model A front cross member and frame horns, and at the firewall it has to spread outward and follow the outside of the body on back like a '32 frame does and then be stepped to clear the rear axle and what-not...you guys know what I want...I wish I could fabricate/weld.

...problem is, everybody locally seems to be booked up right now and can't get to it for a few months. A talented good friend with a frame table and equipment says he'll do it for $25/hr/cash only, but he has to bring all his stuff up here and work out of my shop, (yes) but he also can't get to it for a while...going thru divorce/kids/etc. (aargh).
    I just came from an extremely talented builder who says he can do it but he's got a reputation for being VERY slow (he's 75 years old) and he says he can build it , but it will take a month...a month, really?...to build a 2x4 frame for a T? Am I being too unrealistic? Does it really take that long to glue some metal together?
    So, how long would it take in man hours to build something like I described? How long would it take you to build my frame?

I want to have this car done for Starbird in 6 months and I really don't want to drive to another state to get it done.
    Signed,
    Frustrated in Tulsa

Here's what I need the frame for...

Ted and Harold 1968 -2[1].JPG

kidcampbell71 and Moriarity like this.
  2. 117harv

117harv

If you have all the parts you are going to use, and some set dimensions, a couple weeks and it should be done. I could do it, however Oregon is more than a few hours drive.

Maybe you could do all the cutting, bending, and maybe tack weld it and have someone else weld it on a jig?

Saxman and 3wLarry like this.
  3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I have no equipment/welder/etc. harv

4. 117harv

117harv

OK, that changes things. Maybe someone could do it off a drawing/plan that you draw, send it to someone to build, and make one trip to pick it up, one state radius maybe?

3wLarry likes this.

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

you give me too much credit bubba

6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I built this one over a few weekends a few years ago,
    should be able to do it in about a 40 hours

frame

sko_ford and 3wLarry like this.
  7. Maybe, it will take a week.

With good drawings any job shop type fab shop could do it for you provided you get the A crossmember for them and any specialty hot rod parts. You'll get exactly what's drawn.

If you want a chassis guy who can fill in the blanks because he knows what you need & you don't. it will take probably just as long, that is once he had an opening. I'd be scared if you didn't have to wait a little because that means they've got noting to do there except wait on you to call.

8. Larry with all the different widths and front taper,2X4 tube will make a lot of work..When I built my "T",I bought some 11 ga. had it sheared and then put in a brake and tapered from front to back,,"Zeed" it in the rear. The small amount of taper from the firwall back was not noticable..side rails were "C" shaped .made shaping to body contour easier.
    cost was not much different than 2x4 tubing.
    PS,,,taper was from 2" up to 5"

3wLarry likes this.
  9. i was thinking about 50-100 hours , depending on what really needs to be done...i'm not sure what exactly you want . fully bracketed with all the mounts are just the perimeter frame? master cylinder /brake pedal etc????

a sketch as 117harv suggested would be helpful

disclaimer: this is not an offer to do it

3wLarry likes this.
  10. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

thanks paul...that was a good read

11. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

A month tells nothing... Is it a month of 10hr weeks 40 hr weeks or 100hr weeks?

Using tubing can be a slightly slower process cause you are starting with a blank page and your design is somewhat liquid until you get exactly what you want.... Starting with known rails can a least give you a visual advantage of where to start and what you have to do

Example:
    I have basic hand tools and a 32 frame fixture and it takes me about 35-40 hrs to put together a straight forward 32 frame, then add for suspension set up , wishbone tabs , shock mounts, brake line tabs , motor mounts, steering box, body tabs , bed tabs.... Ect.. That can be another 10-60 hrs.... Now add a custom body/ wheel base or things like z'd or kickup in rails where mutiple mockups is nessesary..... Time just starts ticking away...

. Or you can cross fingers throw a Hail Mary or two and probably cut it out later and redo cause something hits you forgot about

I have found that people always want custom for less than the price of store bought ... Factory's can sell 32 frames cheap because they make multiples of everything and usually fixture everything that's why they don't deviate from their order form

Even the best fabricators don't have magic wands

hendelec and 3wLarry like this.
  12. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Common dude , drive to Indy and see Tom Culbertson at Culbertson customs . Hes a get it done guy and has a car like you want being welded up right now.
    (they used speedy bills boxed model A rails etc)
    I will buy you lunch when ya get here........

Toms number is 317-244-8271 tell him i said he could do it while you wait !!!!!!

3wLarry and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I would think the Hot Rod Garage in Sand Springs could whip that out for you in less than a month. TCI could probably do it sooner if you talked to them about your plan with a sketch. Just saying…..

3wLarry likes this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Larry
    If you are wanting this car to look like it was built in the 50's, just get an old Lincoln
    "Buzz Box" and find some kid from your local Comm. College welding class, may even have access to their cutoff saw and whatnot. Offer to pay for a semester of welding classes.
    Stick that thing together in a week, that's how it was done in the "old days", remember.
    Oh, and if your really a cheapskate like a friends (future) father in law in the early 60's did, he'd make you climb up on the roof and clip on to the power before the meter.
    Yea, that's the ticket.

15. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

At 75 years old, a month sounds reasonable.

16. I have to agree with tikiwagon and you wouldn't have to travel.
    Sounds like your going to have to wait anyway just for someone else freeing up
    time just to start the job. Is this 75 year old gentleman ready to go?

volvobrynk, 3wLarry and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

6 months is pretty tight to get a car built, Larry. How done is the rest of it ? We built my Sons T bucket in 88 days from start to finish, but we were working 12-15 hour days and didn't take a day off. Never again.

Don

3wLarry likes this.
  18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Hey Larry, check out my build thread for my 26 RPU.
    I built a 32 style chassis starting with 2x6x1/8" rectangular tubing.
    I think it turned out pretty nice, but it was a lot of work.
    If I were you I would find a chassis builder that would start with a nice pair of new deuce rails and build to suit your T body.
    Industrial chassis (El Polacko here on the HAMB) comes to mind as one of the best.
    I'm sure that he could fix you up and from what I have seen of his work, if I wasn't doing it myself he's the only one I would be going to.
    Larry.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    RICH B, volvobrynk and 3wLarry like this.
  19. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Jason from Hot Rod Garage just called and told me to quit jackin around and get some American Stamping deuce rails and be done with it.
    ..somebody just shoot me

20. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

T-DeWitt and 3wLarry like this.
  21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I'm surprised you can't buy a T bucket frame or a repro Model A frame and rework it.

3wLarry likes this.
  22. oj

oj

Larry, you want a Model A frame made from box tubing? Why not use a Model A frame? I don't get why you want to take something that isn't and turn it into something that is. Any chassis builder will give you that suspicious look when you ask him to make a Model A frame from 2X4 box tubeing, thats why they are real busy.
    Keep it simple Larry, keep it simple.

23. I understand what you want isn't very difficult. I also know that when you can't do the Fab work your self it looks even less difficult. Back when I actually punched the Clock, if you walked in my shop and contracted me to do it I would have bid the job at 80 hours plus material. When it came in under 80 hours you'd be extra happy with me. However you are going to be like most other customers and do the "while your at it" thing that will add more $$$ and more time to your Bail Out cost. That's just how it goes. It also would have been 4 to 6 weeks before I could start and at that time I'd tell you 4 or 5 weeks just to keep you from Hounding me. In the end you would have been happy, I'm happy to be RETIRED!
    The Wizzard

Anderson, Malcolm, brad2v and 3 others like this.
  24. A Boner

A Boner

A 32 frame will have the, looking from the top, curve like the body profile, the rectangular tube will have to be pie cut through 3 sides, then the kerfs pinched shut and welded, to get the curved profile. Maybe you should use some cut up 32 rails.
    Put some paper on the floor and trace the body profile to see how not straight the bottom of the body is.

brad2v and 3wLarry like this.
  25. Talk is cheap Larry,Just buy a set of Deuce rails and be done with it. HRP

26. G. Anderson

G. Anderson
    from MN.usa

Spend the money, get the equipment and
    learn to do it yourself instead of bitching and complaining!!!

I did that 30 years ago and do NOT regret it at all.
    We now have a fully equipped fab shop in my garage.
    We can make ANYTHING!!!
    And I was a car painter for 40+ years too.
    We are covered.

Your Pal, Gary

27. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Everything is easy when you don't do any of it....I agree with Gary..

28. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

depending on what all you want i could knock it out in a 2 week time frame (14 days) but that is 10-12 hours a day 7 days week. the main problem is i am like most other builders and i am booked out a while before i could even start. i have a long list of customers waiting to get started on their projects, so i am not much help.

3wLarry likes this.
  29. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

WBRW 32 has it right. They built a hoop out of tubing under the dash , it held all the instruments clutch and brake pedals. You could pick the border off and drive it around . Had 12 spoke Palameties wheels on front and halibrands on rear . Had a halibrands quick change with mercury axles in it, LaSalle floor shift and a 352 SBC with a 4/71 on top. Painted bright Yellow. Really a car that was way ahead of it times. Fun to ride in.

3wLarry likes this.
  30. 140-168 hrs
    o_O

brad2v and 3wLarry like this.