Register now to get rid of these ads!

History So how did you come by your HEMI'(S)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Oct 17, 2018.

1. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

While stationed at Ft. Ben Harrison, IN, I saw an ad in one of the local papers advertising a 1953 Chrysler, 4 door, V8 auto. I made the call and talk to some older women. I was surprise on how much she knew about the car. I went over to a town named Speedway meet the lady and the car was in the garage (good sign). I was just interested in the motor (331 HEMI). First thing we did was to drive the car on a 45 minute test drive, no problems only that she gave me instruction on driving the auto trans. Got back to her house check out the motor, no leaks and it was very clean. wanted to get down to business and the lady was insistence on showing me the car. At one time she was on her knees showing me the bottom of the door because there was no rust there. I asked her what she wanted for the car she said $750. (this was about 15 years ago), gave her a check and told her I will be back when the check clears. Turn out to be a tow car for a INDY 500 roadster that her husband drove to the track. I remove the motor and put it in my hot rod and upon looking at the Chrysler, decided to make a custom out of it. As of this date both cars still are not done.

2. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

While station at Ft Know, one day leaving out the back gate I viewed a 1941 Plymouth on the side of the road with the hood up. Being as I am, I stop to see if I could be of any help. Look down at the engine and it was a 241 Dodge Red Ram the car was a 4 door with a worn out blue paint job. The guy asked if I could tow the car with my truck (1965 Chevy short bed, SBC, 3 speed) down the road to his house. I said sure, as he took a long chain out of the back seat area and gave his son instructions on how to drive without hitting my truck. After everything was hook up the father riding shot gun and the son in the 41 Plymouth. We headed off and soon on the highway. The father asked me to speed it up, I was going 40 and up it to 55. We were traveling about 10 miles when he asked if my truck burned any oil. I told him the drivetrain was good to go but the body of the truck was pretty well rusted (this was going to be my winter rig). then he look over and said, "do you want to trade". Of course I would trade, why not. So I traded my running, truck with good tires for this broken down 1941 Plymouth 4 door, Red Ram Hemi. Yea, didn't even think twice. sure I rode a bike to the hanger everyday that winter, freezing my tail off, while the 41 Plymouth sat over in the hobby shop with me spending my hard earn flight pay and my buddies labor to get it back on the road. Would I do it again, probably.

woodsnwater likes this.
  3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"COCONUTS" - If I were you, I'd put the Chrysler back together. The '53 engines are "longtails" and are hard to find proper "hot rod" transmissions for. If the Chrysler is as nice as you say it is, it would be a great cruiser.

4. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

My 1957 Dodge 315" Came From A Mining Truck That Was Sold At Auction And I Rebuilt.... 25396163_10212007656770964_1181324214810600509_n.jpg

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

As a matter of fact, no. And it wasn't over the hemi deal. He has done a lot worse than that. The final straw came about 8 years ago when he told me point blank "if you are ever sick or in trouble, don't call on me because I work 14 hours a day". (He doesn't). I just stopped talking to him, and he never noticed.

I used to wish I had a normal family instead of a bunch of lying thieving backstabbing bastards. Then I found out that was a normal family.

Beanscoot likes this.
  6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rusty, I hesitated to ask that question, but, I too have been through the "family thing" myself. It's amazing how a couple of thousand bucks can screw things up. Sorry, my friend.

7. Bought my 354 [bored 331] from Corncobcoupe in DesMoines. Tuck ended up with it. corcobcoupehemibuy_2001.jpg

LOU WELLS likes this.
  8. My first Hemi was bought when I was a high school student with a shiny new drivers license. While driving through one of the little 12 house cluster towns that is typical of Indiana, I spotted a neat looking old car. A bit rough around the edges, but I could see potential. I stopped to check on it, and ended up making a deal for it for something like $250. It was a 1955 DeSoto Fireflite Sortsman 2 door hardtop. Got it pulled over to my grandmother’s house, and started fiddling with it. The engine wouldn’t turn, so I pulled the spark plugs and put Liqid Wrench into each cylinder. Would stop by each day, crawl underneath to pry at the flex plate ring, and when it didn’t turn I would put in more Liquid Wrench. One day I banged my knuckles when the screwdriver I was prying with slipped. I put it back in and started to push, and felt things turn. I got the starter rebuilt, the generator also, and rebuilt the carburetor. I drained oil and put in fresh oil and filter. I was able to start it and put in reverse. After it started to move, I hit the brakes and promptly blew out a flexible brake line. The car stopped when it backed into a utility pole, denting the pole but not leaving a mark on the bumper. I had upholstery redone (crushed velvet in the center and white Naugahyde with black piping around the edges, it was the 70’s), and did a bunch of body work on it. One day, while I was off to college, it was sitting on the road by my parents’ house. Someone coming down the icy road too fast slid into the side of it. Had to fight the insurance company that wanted to undervalue the car. Thank goodness for Hemings Motor News ads, to show the value. When the insurance settlement went to pay college expenses, I ended up having to sell the car, to a guy who planned to make it a custom. After a long number of years, the Hemi itch hit me again. I found a 1956 DeSoto Hemi advertised on line about 10.5 hours of drive from me. I drove out, made the deal, loaded it up and drove straight back home. A 24 hour adventure! It sat in storage until very recently (8-10 years in storage) before I was smart enough to realize that my project wasn’t going to build itself! I am now in the parts gathering phase. I’ll post a build thread when I reach that stage.
    I forgot to mention, in the high school days, I had that old 291 singing at 105 mph going up a slight hill. The buddy following me in his ‘67 Buick Skylark couldn’t believe that I was pulling away from him! With the 2 speed Powerflite tranny, I had that thing wound tight. Looking back, I realize I was doing that on old, weather-checked tires! They say the Lord looks out for saints and fools. I don’t think I’ve ever been mistaken for a saint.

scott27 and Thor1 like this.