Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods So have you ever heard a voice in your hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikec4193, Sep 15, 2019.

1. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Only at stoplights .

2. Deuces

Deuces
    from Michigan

Voices...... I hear voices... That's a song fellas...o_O:D
    I don't even know who did it...:(

3. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I keep hearing Alan "Blind Owl" Wilson singing "Going Up the Country" so I usually join in..."where the water tastes like wine..."

Deuces likes this.
  4. Budget36

Budget36

Only voices I recall hearing in my '57, was "YES, YES, YES"...but I was younger then...

Nicholas Coe and Deuces like this.
  5. That's the same voice I sometimes hear. Usually it's triggered by the numbers on the GPS getting stupid. ;)

Deuces likes this.
  6. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

it was there until i shut off the radio ,

Deuces likes this.
  7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:p

Deuces likes this.
  8. Nicholas Coe

Nicholas Coe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tontitown

If y'all don't know it please check out the song by David Ball - Riding with Private Malone. Good stuff. Even is the car is a year O.T.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    There were two times that I can think of when I was a teenager that I heard voices while working on our hot rod/drag race cars. One: I was given the job of doing the rear axle gear changes in my brother’s 58 Impala after he taught me how to do it correctly. So, for weeks on end, starting on a Thursday night, I did all of the prep work, got the tools, jack stands, and hydraulic jack ready. Then as my brother went back inside of the house to do whatever, guitar, study, read magazines, I went to work on the exchange.

upload_2019-9-22_4-28-44.png
    After several times during the 1958-59 years, this was the standard weekly activity for me. I did not have a driver’s license and this was my job, IF, I wanted to go somewhere in his Impala. Drags, yes, friend’s house, yes…baseball game, yes…so it was planned out. My mom did not drive, so she had no say as to what I did for my brother and my social life using work for rides in his Impala.
    upload_2019-9-22_4-29-6.png
    One night I was under the car and was completely tired from the after school basketball game. But, I knew I had to complete the exchange of the rear axle gears from the 4:11 to the 4:56 Positraction gears. That did make a difference at the Friday night cruising/races and definitely the Saturday events at lions all day and night. I caught my self waking up to the feel of oil dripping on my hand and arm. I had fallen asleep during the first couple of stages.

Then before I could bolt up all of the nuts around the circular pattern, I thought I heard someone telling me not to screw up and to get going. (not my brother, as he was inside of the house) I could not believe I heard something, but again, I was completely tired and sleepy. By the time I was somehow finished bolting down all of the nuts, I fell asleep again.

This time, my mother came out to wake me up and yell at me. Then she told my brother to finish up as I was told to go inside and go to bed. (Subconsciously, it was probably the thought of my brother telling me to finish the rear axle exchange and kept popping up during that “drifting off dream” sleep stage)

Jnaki
    The 58 impala was safely tucked away in the front, two car garage and the 40 sedan delivery was sitting on its place in the backyard, so I had to attend to some side business in the converted backyard garage. I was eerie quiet back there and I got to work right away. I had a side business of repairing surfboards and glassing pre- sanded surfboards with a high gloss finish.

The other time hearing what I thought were voices was when I was inside of the backyard garage finishing up re-glassing an old surfboard. It was several years later in high school. The scene was sometime after dinner and getting dark quickly. Prior to the final mini sanding finish and super gloss, I closed the garage door and slightly opened one of the crank windows.

It was cold and needed some warmth for the gloss finish to harden. So, I turned on a small floor heater on the other side of the room. After putting on the final gloss, I sat down near an open window and was reading a magazine. I found myself with the magazine on my face. I did not know how long I had been sleeping. It must have been in the “waking/dream” stage as thought I heard someone telling me to get up and finish the job. The voice was as clear as day and being awake. I was so sleepy, but managed to get up, open the garage door and check out the clear gloss finish of the surfboard.

The final glossing had hardened well, looked pretty good and somehow I did not die from inhaling those glassing fumes in that small backyard garage. How long was I in there? Someone was looking out for me, to be able to lead a fun life and end up with a ton of memories.

When I told my brother, he laughed and said I was lucky that I did not die from the fumes. But, who the #$!!! was that voice?

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  10. sunbeam

sunbeam

It was private Malone saying you SOB you just wrecked my Corvette.

11. Yes my 29 Ford roadster with the 425 nailhead says "Punch It" every time a Corvette shows up at the stop light. Yes the car talks to my right foot.

Deuces likes this.
  12. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I have never heard voices, but I did get a message from "beyond". Folks that have read through my build thread might recall that I acquired the '58 when my brother passed in 2010. Almost a year to the day later I discovered this message on the back wall of the cab while relocating the fuel tank. Definitely my brother's handwriting...

message.jpg

DIYGUY likes this.