Register now to get rid of these ads!

So does A/C = Gold Chainer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nik, Apr 17, 2006.

1. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

Started driving hot rods in the 50s, now I live on pension and SS,an drive my street rod as much as I can. If that makes me a gold chainer, so be it, at least I enjoy it.

2. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

3. after reading about a bazillion posts here, wouldn't the true HAMB way be to sit on a block of dry ice? That way the only asshole you'd offend would be your own. If you're hot, get the air. And use whoever's is the best. IMHO.

4. Is AC 'chainin'? Moot Q, actually. A lot of people that claim they're traditional '60s Hot Rodders, use technology and equipment that wasn't even invented then. They use modern media in their blasters, plasma cutters to work on sheet metal, aftermarket 'look alike' wheels and tires, motors with more technology and horsepower than was even dreamed of in the day, and then re-write history so they can calim to be what they actually aren't.

Put the AC in it.

If you want to spend the money for a new system, go Vintage Air. Good equipment, good people.

If you want the old look, or economy, You can retrofit components, fab hoses and brackets. PM me and I'll give you a longer run-down.

I know of a York Compressor from a KING KOOL, (60s Aftermarket system, blew colder air than modern ones, had to turn the controll down to keep it from freezing up) that came out of a 60s Mustang 6 cyl, that's running right now on a '56 Packard. It's been flushed and is running R134. I helped the owner put it on. But now he wants a rotary compressor, like the one I have on my truck, less vibration than the York. I can work out a deal with him, we're going to use a doner from a 2000 Saturn. If you want to go on the cheap, you can set up a complete system if you do most of the work for around $300. Brackets and hoses can be fabbed. Need advice, post a picture of under the hood, front of motor, both sides, showing the pulleys.
    b29

1a carburetors, ac pump, p.s. pump.jpg

5. wannabewannabe

wannabewannabe

Back in my high school days, I drove a 47 Buick Roadmaster sedan all over DFW. That bastard was black and had a burgundy naugahyde interior. If that wasn't hot enough, the heater was stuck on and that big-ass ole straight 8 put so much heat through the firewall that you'd swear it was on fire. You could feel the heat of the metal portion of the pedals coming through the rubber cover and through the sole of your shoes. That car was hot! I never drove it when I had to be presentable at the place I was going. I would have killed for A/C. So I understand. You want A/C. Run it.

6. Well, it's just me, but I'd have a galvanized tub of water in front of the seats for my vinegar feets to dip in. Hell, I'd toss in a few potatoes and onions while I was at it and have a stew when I got home.

7. LoungeLife

LoungeLife
    from Tulsa

The only chains I have are the ones on my wallet and a rusty logging chain, that being said - god I wish I had AC. How I wish I had AC for that drive from Tulsa to Bonneville this summer. In August.