Register now to get rid of these ads!

So does A/C = Gold Chainer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nik, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Nik

Nik

It's the middle of friggin' APRIL and I've already had too many 90+ degree days (97 today) to count. I'm going to have to break down and get an air conditioning set up for the 63 Ranchero if I want to use it as a daily driver. I hate to do it, but living in this desert is going to make it a requirement. Anybody else having to retrofit an A/C system into their ride in order to enjoy it? If so, where's the best place to find one to fit an odd ball like a 6cyl 'Chero?

Nik

2. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

Run A/C in the car. Some of these guys say that A/C is "gold chainer" but most don't live in high heat areas. I'm going to run AC in my 39 as soon as I get glass for it. I've had a Vintage Air kit sitting in the garage for almost 2 years now.

3. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

Vintage Air has a nice under-dash unit just like the old add-on one in the Sixty's ---they may even have compressor mounting stuff for the 6

4. squirrel

squirrel

vintage air is gold chainer...but finding an old add-on underdash unit and cobbling it in there with some other old parts you scrounge up, is the hamb way.....

5. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

I don't mind hang downs, but they have to be "right" to me, none of that new stuff... the hangdowns I have, one came out of a '55 Packard and the other was a '53 Dodge if I remember right.

6. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i just got my first car with real AC last month, it is kinda of a novelty that i could get used too...

7. Dude, I lived in Phoenix for 2 years, and I have several friends in New Mexico. Ya gotta run AC out there, no other option, unless you wanna end up like all those strange guys that come wandering out of the desert. The guys who call you a 'chainer for running it just don't have a clue.

8. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

It was 97* today here, also. No AC (yet) broken heater valve so I can't turn the heater off. talk about hot! lol

9. I kinda think a/c in a duece hiboy is gold chainer. But yours sounds legit.

10. squirrel

squirrel

this is probably acceptable...and it might even work in the dry southwest....until the water runs out.

11. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

Bah! That's for lowriders!

12. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

the way i see it is if you have the money and are gonna spend it why not spend it on something that will make driving your old car more enjoyable?

13. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just cant believe your complaining about 97deg, thats only 33 in our money. Might even slip off the jumper fro that!

14. As one of my buddies said, "I got your hang down A/C hanging" :) .

15. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

Just put air in the wife's '55 pick-up.....Chopped 7' inches and the vent windows don't open....If she's happy, i'm happier

16. Slide

Slide

The a/c in my 52 has caused more problems than it solved. But mine's a cobbled together system.

Everyone I know of that's running a Vintage Air setup (with 100% VA parts) is happy. Everyone I know of that uses even one part from another company is sad. VA is where it's at. Search for them here on the HAMB and you'll see others that say the same.

17. I had air in a 67 Olds Cutlass Convertible. Super hot days with the top up and the AC going full blast felt like complete decadence. Fuck what other people think. It's your balls sweating. I hate arriving someplace nice when I am all sticky and my underwear is wrinkled,

18. That statment is crap and so are most old underdash a/c units.

Goldchainer would be paying more than the going rate to have A/C installed in a car you paid too much for because you don't actually know anything about cars but you think they are cool and you have too much money anyway.

Vinage air makes a good product and if you bought one and installed in your car and drove that car and maintained it yourself there isn't anything goldchain about that.

19. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Stay away from Old Air Products in Fort Worth. Does not fit, they dont care, will charge you for parts that should have been included

20. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Well, I'm old and live in upstate NY where it seldom gets really hot, but it does get humid. And, I don't give a rat's patoot whether it's a goldchainer item or not-I gotta have air even in my '48 Cad convert. I like to drive my stuff to shows that aren't right around the block and the AC lets me and my wife arrive at the show without feeling loke we've been put through the wringer. We like to listen to books on tape as we travel and there is no way you can do that with the top down or, if in any other car, with the windows down. Just can't do it! So, call me a chainer, I don't give a crap - gimme AC any day of the week. It makes travelling FUN again! Just my 2 centavos.

21. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

I've been to Rochester and Newark, New York ( not Newark, New Jersey) and the HOUSES dont have air conditioning! I didnt see window units or split systems. I know its not Texas, but...........how do you stand it?

22. talisman

talisman
    from Texas

I'll be putting an AC system in my car sooner or later. It was 95 degrees here in DFW yesterday and its only mid April! Who gives a damn if other people don't like it? It's not their car and you're not trying to sell it to them. They'll be too busy having a heat stroke to say shit anyway.

23. jeffrob

jeffrob

Run a/c if you want too...........

Gold Chainer would have a trailer for the car and be sitting up front in the Tahoe w/ a/c running and DVD playing.

24. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

I live in Phoenix. Enough said. Yes, I will put A/C in my '48 F1. It may be a "dry" heat; but when its 115 F outside, I've measured more than 140 F inside of a car with rolled up windows. When the Fire Department runs TV ads telling people not to leave their pets in the car when it gets hot; its TOO hot.

Run the A/C. Use whatever you want. I won't consider you a gold chainer. I'll consider you smart.

25. mikeyboy

mikeyboy

got a/c in the 46. Ya gotta have air in this part of the world, if ya wanna drive one year 'round. If anyone don't like the fact that i have air, we can discuss it after a 500 mile trip to Louisiana in August :D

26. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

If it's so hot there, do you REALLY CARE what others think of you? Be an individual, do what makes YOU happy...and screw the opinions.

R-

27. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I have not ever had A/C in any of my Hot Rods....
    But I will in my 32 3W... :)
    It was 90+ yesterday....and humid like only South Carolinans can understand....

I bought a Vintage Air.....Generation II Mini.....

[​IMG]

I hated to cut the 3W dash for A/C ducts......but it had to be done...
    The Generation II mini is almost not visible with everything in place. I even got to keep the original steel glovebox without cutting or altering it in any way.

Vintage Air has a excellant reputation in my area...

28. A/C off.
    [​IMG]

A/C partially on.
    [​IMG]

A/C fully on.
    [​IMG]

Buncha whiners....:D

29. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

C9, thats real A/C. Damn pussies, ooooh its hot.........oooh I want my mommy.......... wheres the A/C???

30. glassguy

glassguy

i guess im on my way to bein a chainer! im puttin air in the merc as soon as i can. it doesnt stay hot for long in new england but when it does you need it. anyone who doesnt think its cool to do it. can take a ride in my pizza oven merc for 10 minutes and then tell me not to .. fuck that im to pretty to sweat!