Register now to get rid of these ads!

So Cal Speed Shop in Alberta Collapses from Snow!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy Kid, Jan 21, 2011.

1. big creep

big creep

no one was hurt! thats always good! that sucks, but they said the insurance should cover the damages.

2. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

see thats why roll cages are important :)

3. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

Lets hope they don't have a big hassle with their insurance co.

4. Luckily it was just the showroom that fell, no customer cars were damaged. But there was some nice cars, including my friends dragster on display, plus LOTS of parts in the showroom!

5. Stormin' Norman1

Stormin' Norman1

Maybe they will have a scratch an dent sale?;)

6. Glad the off duty guy saved his kid. As a carpenter that looks like pretty shitty construction for snow country................

7. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Looks perfectly normal construction wise but we've had unusual amounts of snow and a lengthened real cold snap that has made the snow load extreme.
    It sucks when it happens but it's becoming regular with buildings here lately.
    Maybe 'Global warming' will change the building codes.

8. I used to work there before I started my shop. I helped build that building. I am not a carpenter!:eek:

That being said, I'm sure the building would have had to pass code, and we did have record breaking snow falls this year (over 30" this month!!) plus with the mild temperatures the snow gets very heavy.
    Anyways I wish Murray (the owner) the best of luck with this situation. Even though I no longer work there, and technically he is my competition, he is still a great guy, and I did and will continue to buy lots of my parts through him.

9. I'm in the construction business and it's funny it, seems that after you finish a building for someone they expect to never EVER have to go up there once in awhile and shovel snow. If it is getting ugly thick up there, you should take care of it.

10. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Kind of hard to tell, but looks like they built that place out of pixie sticks and sheets of cardboard. Might want to beef that place up a little during the repairs. I don't even see any insulation, let alone much convincing framing.

11. I wish them the best as well, but remember, "Code is the LOWEST ACCEPTED STANDARD!" Like getting a "D":eek: I laugh when builders brag that it is "built to code":rolleyes:

12. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Probably drilled too big of holed in those I beams.

13. firingorder1

firingorder1

I live in SoCal so the closest I get to snow is looking at it on the mountains about 30 miles away. I do have a few questions though. Why, in a snow fall area is a building built with such a shallow pitch to the roof? And what the hell is that reporter doing standing out in -4 deg.? Have people no sense up there?

14. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Damn, what a shame, I hope the damage is not too bad to the cars and "real" parts, at least with repro it didn't survive 75 years just to have this happen...

I live 40 km from there and have shoveled my roof 3 times since xmas, the last time I noticed the roof actually was lower then normal before I started... was worried my 250 pounds up there would be the final straw!

Because -4 is nothing when you are acclimatized to it, I can hardly take the heat in the south myself, and we had weeks of -30 and change to make -4 feel great in comparison!

15. Actually all I did to help with the building was put all the green siding up, and the tin on the roof. Nothing structural, so it's not my fault haha.

-4 is great compared to the last few weeks. -25 to -30 for almost 2 weeks straight! It almost feels like summer outside!

I'm kind of worried about my shop now haha. It has a flat roof and there has to be a ton of snow up there! Unfortunately I have no way of getting up there to check, and if I did get up there I wouldn't even know where to start with shoveling that much snow!

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

-4?? I dont swap the sandals for sneakers till it hits -2. Cali guys are such crybabies...:D

17. slammed

slammed

I agree whole completely. Look's like tinker toy's for roof structure.

18. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Im glad nobody was seriously hurt. That being said, it's 75 degrees outside. Im gonna take a drive to the beach and cry. :)

19. firingorder1

firingorder1

I guess we are! I can't imagine minus anything. I spent last Monday kickin' back at the beach. Thats my idea of winter.

20. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

How much snow has fallen up there? Did it ice up and load the roofs a lot. Anything over 18" and I usually have a shovel on my roofs cleaning off some weight, can be hard to do on some roofs though. Thankfully no lives were lost or injuries severe.

21. Your shop is fine. Lots of support up there.

22. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

-4 is probably Celcius. Which is around 28* F.
    I wouldn't get up on a tin roof to push the snow off. You would have one hell of a ride down to the pavement.
    Yes, it looks like a chintzy job of building something that gets a lot of snow.

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I get a kick out of some of the comments. As far as building code goes, the roof trusses are engineered for the snow load in the area.

They are designed with a safety factor built in, which in this case was obviously exceeded by the unusual amount of snow we have had.

The roof trusses are usually placed at 2' apart, some builders up here will use trusses designed for the areas snow load and then space them at 16" centers.

Costs more, uses more trusses, but makes a super strong roof.

I did that on a 32' x 40' shop I built and used 2x6 fir trusses which are even stronger than spruce lumber trusses.

That baby won't come down :)

As far as cold goes, we here in Canada don't let a little cold slow us down. Outdoor activities and work go on even if it is -30 C occasionally. :D

24. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

-4 is shorts weather for those savages in Alberta.

Shawn

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Actually, where I live in SW BC, its generally pretty warm, even during the winter. Alberta is a whole nother ballgame. I was just having a bit of fun with the old Canadian stereotype...

26. firingorder1

firingorder1

The only thing minus around here is my bank balance. Anything under +70 is heading for chilly. Yeah, I'm a weenie. Give me 110 deg. at El Mirage in July and I'm a happy camper.

27. selohssa

selohssa

I drive past it every day to go to work and it looks like they have done a fair amount of the clean up. I too hope that nothing irriplacable was destroyed. I wish Murray and the So-Cal crew the best.

As far as shoveling snow goes, my co worker fell off of his roof on Sunday and broke his hand, foot and 1 rib. I am not about to go on my roof anytime soon.

28. bedrock

bedrock
    from Alberta

The roof of a recreation complex fell in this afternoon. This is the fourth collapse in the last week. Edmonton has had it's largest snowfall since 1974 and now that it's turned warm that snow gets heavy.