Register now to get rid of these ads!

So Cal Plating inspired 1936 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nostalgia59, Dec 11, 2011.

1. The original will always be the best. Mine may look more like Duvall's original plan....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. volksjunky

volksjunky

YES,yes,yes ! Love the the original , falling for this one already ,subscribed !

3. Lynn, looking real good. I've enjoyed watching the build on The Flyers. Keep at it and you'll be driving it in no time! :D

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  4. striper

striper

Great job. Love the work on the doors / cowl. That's one of the slickest parts of any open '36 car. Nicely done.

Pete

5. koolkemp

koolkemp

Absolutely outstanding ! The lines are really nice ,and there is no mistaking what car inspired your tribute !Brilliant re use of the window opening on the cowl...I cant wait to see more progress :D

6. F&J

F&J

There have been some great things showing up on hamb lately, and this one is way up there on the list... So many things to compliment you on, but that taillight mounting is off the wall for creativity.

Exciting build..

I used to stare at the tiny B&W pic of the original one, in the old rod magazines classifieds section.

7. Beautiful car, and some amazing craftsmanship so far. I can't wait to see the finished product.

8. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

Hell Yes !!!

9. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

Hell Yes !!!

10. Headlight being fitted....

[​IMG]

11. big creep

big creep

all i have to say is fucken WOW!!!!!!! i love it!

12. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Man,that is looking sweet....

13. Fortress

Fortress

Wow, really nice work!

14. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

Loving this build!!

Thanks for posting it!!

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Realy nice build, look forward to more updates.

16. alchemy

alchemy

This is great! Very impressive.

17. khead47

khead47

love it! keep us updated.

18. Thanks to everyone, this keeps me going. I haven't decided on a color yet but I want something that gives it a 40's feel. Moving on here's how I had move the upper hinge down. Used sections of square tubing sliced to make a chanel for the hinge...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Lynn, that looks so good. Keep up the excellent (and hard!) work.

20. Aaron Kahan

Aaron Kahan

Wow Lynn! Keep movin' forward. It's really coming together. Really, Really cool!

-Aaron

21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Subscribed! That's one of my favorite early customs. Beautiful job, I LOVE that you're using a derelict sedan to build something beautiful, although I HATE that you're doing a better job of than I did.;) I too used the rear window openings from the sedan to make the door tops for my car, but I wish now I'd cut the doors and cowl down like you did like a "true" roadster. Oh well, I know where there's another '36 sedan...

I will not cut my car apart. I will not cut my car apart. I will not cut my car apart...

Brian

22. Always a treat watching a plan come together. Some pretty ingenious metal work and use of existing bits and pieces. Inspiring to say the least. Love it. Pat.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  23. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Very Impressive, will be a really neat accomplishment when finished.

24. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

Great project cant wait to see when done. How is the roof supported with the Duval Windshield if you have any pictures showing would be great.

Thanks
    Frenchy

25. The fordor I started with had a near perfect chassis, firewall and pretty nice floor. It has the usual rustouts but had never been butchered or modified anywhere. And it was only $4000 and came with lots of extra parts that I sold off (around $2500 worth) so I am into it low buck...

For many years I wanted to build this car and saw a couple of coupes turned into roadsters so I knew I could probably do it myself. Buying a touring or roadster cowl and doors would have been easier but $$$$ expensive. Then a friend of mine was turning a '39 sedan into a streetrod and needed help so I got all the mechanicals I needed just for helping him with my labor.

kidcampbell71 and chrome like this.
  26. This is the kinda custom project that really turns me on. Your work has been topnotch to say the least. You have great vision and your not mucking it up by doing off the wall crazy stuff. Your using ideas from the past that are tried and true and were done to improve the car instead of just doing modifications just to do modifications. You see that kinda thing in a lot of off the wall customs from the eastcoast back in the day and your doing it for the right reasons. The top is so tasty. Will you ever drive it with the top off? Will it get padded or painted? I might have missed that.

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Wow! do you mind sharing what that rear window section was from that you used to build the cowl and door tops? As far as color goes, it would be hard to top the Seafoam green or a varient thereof from the original So Cal plating car... Heck, I could even see this in a muted and toned down version of the turquiose on your Surf T!

28. I formed a piece of 3/4" channel to fit the top of the w/s frame then welded a piece of 1" x 1/8 flatstock to the backside. Drilled 6 holes and threaded the backside of the top w/s frame to attach. The roof is just welded to this piece...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  29. Marcy

Marcy

Fantastic!

Marcy

30. LOOKS AWESOME!
    Thanks for posting!