Register now to get rid of these ads!

So Cal guys a question. Where do you actually drive????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by plym_46, Mar 19, 2011.

1. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

old 66 is nice from san berdo to the north and east... most of it is still easily driveable. the pavement is getting bad east of newberry springs... just take it easy. reminds me... the route 66 fun run from seligman az to topock az is coming up at the end of april. good drive. parts of old us 60 are still neat... box canyon east of mecca up to I 10 then north across joshua tree n.p. is nice. so is CA 62. santa monica mountains are good. CA 2 and the san gabriel mountain area and west of palmdale/ lancaster to techachapi and bakersfield and kern river area... and ventura county mountains... lots to drive and see. (and there's SO MUCH MORE) one thing to suggest... follow the speedlimits 'cause the law is in a 'revenue' mode... (how do I know???)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  2. I'm with bob. My fave drive is 110 south over the bridge, onto ocean ave, quick detour on shoreline drive, back onto ocean ave thru belmont shore. I love cruising long beach at night.

I dont care about long sustained speed. I like to cruise. Pedro, pch in any direction, downey, redondo, on and on. I like looking at stuff.

I only drive long distances on purpose for the sake of event attendance.

3. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Jesus- another hate thread on traffic.
    I drive nearly every weekend. Somewhere- anywhere.
    I just don't piss about the traffic.

Drove to Planes of Fame Air Museum in Chino
    [​IMG]

Driving to Palm Springs at crack of dawn
    [​IMG]

Drove to a private garage tour w/ some cool Lancias & motorcycles
    [​IMG]

Santa Paula Airport
    [​IMG]

Angeles Crest Highway for the hell of it
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Autobooks in Glendale
    [​IMG]

Whittier for lunch
    [​IMG]

Limeworks
    [​IMG]

I forget
    [​IMG]

Bob's Big Boy
    [​IMG]

PCH- maybe San Diego?
    [​IMG]

You're right. Too crowded to drive anywhere.

4. big creep

big creep

(Autobooks in Glendale ), its burbank not glendale! my buddy quack quack lives right next door to that place.

Autobooks in Glendale
    [​IMG]

5. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

I live in West Covina about 15 minutes east of LA. My 57 is my daily driver and traffic doesnt bother me much im used to it plus i like to just cruise anyway....ive been on tour all over the US and trust me So Cal isnt the only bad area for traffic theres plenty of other states that are just as bad some even seemed worse at times!

6. [​IMG]
    Its hard to think of somewhere better then the beach to cruise.

7. firingorder1

firingorder1

I don't know why this question even came up. New York state covers 54,556 sq miles. Riverside and San Bernadino COUNTIES cover 27,368 sq. miles. Two counties 1/2 the size of NY state. No, we're not stuck for somewhere to drive. Rhode Island is 1545 sq. miles. Seems that no matter what direction you headed you'd be out of that state before you shifted into third.

I live in Riverside. An hour from the beach, an hour from the desert, and an hour from the mountains. We cruised to Palm Springs last Thursday. 75 mph, no traffic to speak of. Beautiful sunshine and heat.

8. I'll second that Randy. Eastside 405 at quitting time. FN brutal. Blood pressure city. Had to get out. I did drive L.A in a semi for a while. Long Beach semi traffic is wicked. Now that sucked too. I have no patience for idiots anymore.

9. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

You are right- I had Glendale on my mind for some reason.

10. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Disgusting. Just look at all that traffic & where's a guy suppose to park? ;)

11. 40WILLYSCRAZY

40WILLYSCRAZY
    from fresno

I lived in the San Fernando valley for two years in 94 - 95 and loved it. I only moved back home 3 1/2 hours north Because of the cost of living. I couldn't be a home owner in So Cal at the time. The traffic is just the price you pay for the excellent weather, car shows and tons of swap meets. It is a pretty good trade off in my opinion.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  12. Hey Steve, I do have to admit that this pic was taken on a weekday not a weekend but I do see your point.

13. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Steve...great photos!

14. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

I always figured anytime I can get in one of the cars and cruise around, even if it is slow and crowded sometimes, is still better than not driving them at all.It is all in the outlook I suppose.

15. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

this thread is as stupid as if I went to new york in the winter and asked where do you fellas drive when the snow is 3 feet deep

born in new york and traffic or not i'd never consider leaving san diego...

I drive everywhere, year round

16. 2Hep

2Hep

Awesome! Good point 713- I left Central NY to live here. Haven't thought of going back.

17. around here you gotta pick the right times or the right roads. i'm the opposite of Bad Bob and do a lot on my cruising at night.....LATE at night. they canyons are a great trip during the day, so is coast hwy.....i usually go from laguna beach south to san clemente or north to long beach.

vid shot from inside my friends '50 merc driving down pch at night:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guA_hLNBtCg

and here is my friend (someguy) driving his merc to work everyday:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3jk3vFtalo

and i can vouch for randy.................i see him everywhere :).

18. wood470

wood470

We usually spend a couple of weeks a year camping at Bolsa Chica State beach which is right on PCH. If you are a car guy you will enjoy sitting thxere watching the cars and bikes go by. Especially on the weekends. It s not like the old days but it sstill pretty good.

19. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

I am from Schnectady, New York. I have been in orange county 30 years. I left NY State when I was working in -30 degree weather outdoors, the newspaper said it was 70F in LA! How many clothes do you need to work 8 hours in subzero weather? A shitload! I wear shorts year round here. rarely have to wear a jacket. Wore out and rebuilt my HD two times. In New York I would ride till the roads froze, about mid November. Got back to riding mid to end of April. Here riding is truly year round.
    I miss the good people back there, I just DO NOT miss the weather.

20. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I totatally agree with you guys! Having been the victim of people run into my H.A.M.B. friendly and O/T cars, its just not worth it to drive the older cars here on a daily basis for me anymore, i've already done my time. The typical person in their climate control cage just looks at you as an eyesore that shouldn't be on the road, tailgate you, cut you off, never signal for you, no matter how fast you drive, your still in their way.. I see all types of people do it! Sure some people like seeing our cars on the road but its just getting worse.. Ive lived in So. Cal most my life and remember it wasn't always this bad... I think the only time I have fun driving is at night around here, a lot less stressful with less traffic and no one on your ass!

21. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

22. On the other hand... I was on Hollywood Bl. one night in my buddy's 65 Riv. It's lowered, sits on Supremes and has 12 inch glasspacks. 2 bike cops pulled up next to us and gave us a thumbs up. We cruised around for at least 4 hours on a saturday night without a problem. Both of us have tats and "O.G. style moustaches., However, We are also both old farts. They probably sensed no danger.. Now you, Bob.. Danger is your middle name.. Suprised they didn't call out S.W.A.T...

If you know the roads in So. Cal you will never run out of places to cruise. I get in my car.. Slip in some sweet R&B and hit the road. Next thing I know, It's 3am and time to park it..

23. Kaptain Kustom

Kaptain Kustom
    from Finland

This thread makes me appreciate living in a small village...:) In any direction I have at least 30 km of quiet country roads that don't even get salted during winter. (I hate road salt more than anything, I take it as the ultimate proof of that human race is too stupid to have any hope.) I prefer weekend trips that involve less driving on the busiest main roads and more on the quiet back roads. Maybe once a year I visit the only large, multi-city urbanized/suburbanized area in Finland around Helsinki, and every time I wonder just what makes people pack together like ants.

Anyway, I'm sure there really are great places in So Cal if you have enough spare time to go cruising and know where to go. Also, the sunny weather and more cool cars to spot every now and then must be nice!

24. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I live in Tijuana Mexico, I drive across the border every day, my only means of transportation is my 39 ford sedan, once I am across , I take the siver strand highway to coronado , for that is where I work, it's a bitche'n road that is next to the beach, and ends at the Coronado Hotel, after work, sometimes I'll go across the coronado bridge and take the 94 to El Cajon to visit my buddies, once you pass El Cajon , the 8 freeway has no traffic and will take you all the way to Yuma, it's a buetiful drive through the mountains on a four lane highway, But probbably the most buetiful road and funest to drive is the Toll road from Tijuana to Ensenada, it's a four lane highway that travels right on the beach, there is no traffic and Ensenada is a wonderful fishing town with alot of places to visit, just don't go by your self, if you are interested in going , I'll be more than glad to take you, the border wait sucks, but there are certain times of the day it is not to bad.I have taken Squeek Bell , axle and Sledge down there and they love the drive. Years ago, when things were not crazy in Mexico, My club did a Car Show in Ensenada, My friend Bonghe from the Beatnicks, went and had a blast.

25. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

You are probably talking about Americade at Lake George,NY.
    I live a few miles away.Totally correct that for 5-6 months it is a great place to live and cruise.So many backroads,even in the summer are not crowded.All of New England is right next door.I'm 62 and there are plenty of places and roads I have to check out yet.
    At this moment,first day of Spring,white crap is coming down pretty heavy.The suckass weather stays way too long here.
    6 months I love it here,and the other 6 hate it.Really envious of SoCal during the winter.

26. Dave50

Dave50

Thats a great pic but more so i really like your car very nice!

27. There was a time, long long ago, when I thought all you Caifornia guys must be pussies for wanting air conditioning in your hotrods. THEN----about 5 years ago wife and I went to Cali for a holiday. Never, ever, seen heat like that!!!--not close to the ocean---Nearly froze my tits off around San Francisco, but inland, towards Bakersfield and just north of L.A.. Holy Sheet---Ya could die from the hot. Now I understand about air conditioned hotrods.---Brian

28. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

The beach would be good...so is Highway 1, all the way up the coast...did that in my Studey in about '85...but there's no scenery, or drive(s) that compare with cruising a twisting, winding up and down two lane on a sunny summer day (or two) in the Rocky Mountains of ColoRODo...!!!

R-

29. HAHAHA! I was by myself. It was around 9-9:30 maybe. I took Sunset then crossed over to Hollywood Blvd,then "CHERRY!" I asked,"what did I do?" He didn't respond...then said"give me your license and regis". I called my wife and told her I got pulled over,and he leans over and says "better get off that phone,or i'll write you a ticket!". I said "I'm parked dumbass!". That was stupid,haha! Then they made me get out and sit on the curb.
    You're right...maybe I bring it on myself,haha!

30. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

I realize that living here in socal isn't for everybody. But when I can go for a ride on my Harley on the 5th of January it's almost worth putting up with all the bullshit that comes with living here.