Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures So Cal Drag Racing 1962

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

So Cal Drag Racing 1962

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I watched for Jim Kitchen's (StanBack) white roadster, but didn't see it. His roadster was a local, San Bernardino, raced car with a 6 cylinder, and after Jim bought it it became a SBC-injected street roadster and is now a record (Red Hat) holder at Bonneville.
    Maybe Jim will join in and give us some background on the location and maybe some of the racers.
    Jim still carries the ad clipping from which he bought his roadster many years ago.

3. @Jive-Bomber Jay -

Cool video clip! ... Thanks for sharing!

No need to apologize to those who may have seen it before ... I (and I'm sure most other HAMBers) have never seen it ... NOTE: This video (i.e., YouTube ID: "Yxs4123d_Zk") had yet to be posted on the Jalopy Journal or on the H.A.M.B. (yes, I checked :)).

The only criticism I have of the video is (YouTuber) Michael Nyberg's placement of his copyright "watermark" and his choice of background music ... with the availability of "free" circa 1962 Jazz, Rock, & Pop tracks, why use a circa 1937 recording of "M F T Boogie" by Ace Harris & his Orchestra ... ???

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    kidcampbell71, Rolleiflex and jnaki like this.
  4. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yea I just muted the sound so I could focus on the cars better. Wow, fantastic footage, so cool. Color really makes a huge difference. Youngsters might take note that shiny paint was the thing. Where were you in '62? Well you should have been at the drag strip (some of us were in 4th grade :)). Thanks Jay!

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. PackardV8

PackardV8

FWIW, in the early 1960s, the SCTA ran 1/2-mile drags on the back stretch of Riverside Raceway. The better super stocks turned 130+MPH.. I mean, 1/8-mile is fine for those who believe it so, but give me the 1/2-mile and mile runs and we'll see who's got the horses.

jack vines

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

LA COUNTY FAIRGROUNDS POMONA.

7. I must be OLD. I really liked the background music!! Clip was great too!

8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^X2

9. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

That is back when Pomona had adequate shutdown.;)

10. I didn't say that I didn't like the circa 1937 music (my son's high school jazz combo actually plays a similar arrangement of "M F T Boogie") ... I only stated that IMHO, it doesn't really fit with the circa 1962 drag racing footage.

jnaki and aussie oldie like this.
  11. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

There's nothing about San Bernardino in that clip (oh, for the want of a tripod!). Looks like Pomona to me, too, but it could be something else.

There were no "legal" drag strips in Berdoo. Most racers competed at Colton and Fontana. There was a very early (1953 or 4) strip in North Rialto/Fontana, but that was not it.

I watched closely – there were no recognizable San Bernardino cars in the video. But it was okay to look at, and again, how much better it could be with a tripod.

Stan Back