Register now to get rid of these ads!

History So Cal back in the day...

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 1stGrumpy, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Seal Beach tower was cover last week for termites. What a site.

3. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

I believe you had your Latte at the old Bakers on the Easterly side of Redlands Blvd. (Hiway 99). About 300 feet Northwesterly of the current Bakers. It was operated as a La Rosita for decades. The Burger Bar was on the Southwesterly corner of Citrus and Redlands Blvd where the Del Taco is today. Here is the old Bakers.
    BakersBurgers01.jpg

Gambler 1962 and 55belairx2 like this.
  4. Great photo's guy's! Thanks for posting...

lbcd likes this.
  5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Ditto on that, with a bed of preztles.

lbcd likes this.
  6. flyin-t

flyin-t

The eggs at Joe's are still the best. Still the greatest bar in Long Beach. Blackies by the Sea in Newport was built to look like Joe's, inside and out.
    Anyone remember the short lived Joe Jost that Ken opened down town in the late 70s early 80s?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jcmarz and lbcd like this.
  7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Don't forget the calendars from Joe's. Hot Mamas:D

lbcd likes this.
  8. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

I worked Lynwood Fire also. Probably knew him. The water tower just sold. I think for $1.5 million.

9. I lived the next block over from Blackies (behind Mutt's) for 7 years......and don't surf or drink..........HA!

deadbeat likes this.
  10. flyin-t

flyin-t

Had our wedding reception at the Petroleum club coming up on 32 years ago.

11. flyin-t

flyin-t

I was surprised to see it sell for that price, I think the original listing was either 6 or 8 million.

Bob Judd was my father in law, he was an engineer and retired around 1990 or so. He grew up in Lynwood after moving here from Utah. His dad did side work for George Cerney, a pretty well know body and paint guy back in the 50s in Compton.

Cerneys '50 Plymouth. I like this version better than the later.
    George-cernys-1950-plymouth2.jpg

lbcd and 50Fraud like this.
  12. B&B Burgers south of Redlands on old 99. Photo from 1962 RHS Makio.
    B&B Burgers01.jpg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    Gambler 1962 and 55belairx2 like this.
  13. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

I knew Bob well. One of the nicest guys on the L.F.D. Always treated me good.

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When Joes stopped serving PBR I quit going years ago. Maybe they tap it again but I haven't been back to find out.

15. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

While being part of the fanatics of Joe Jost’s on Anaheim in Long Beach, a few miles down the 101 is another place on the way south. Just off 7th and 101, is the 49er Tavern with their supply of pickled eggs that rivals Joe Jost’s. The place is very small but the atmosphere is very cool. Park your ride outside and everyone driving down 101 will see it for sure.

The short drive to Sunset Beach/Surfside (near Noel’s now called Taco Surf and the water tower) is Turc’s. It is another long time place with interesting décor, history, and atmosphere. Drinking and driving obviously do not mix, but if you want atmosphere, these two places have tons of it.

Jnaki

lbcd likes this.
  16. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

You mean 7th and Highway 1 (PCH) and that's where Bellflower Blvd meets PCH and 7th. That's close to Belmont Shores.

17. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Back in 1960 it was called the 101 Pacific Coast Highway, today it is called Highway 1 as per California state naming routes. From Joe Jost's you head east on Anaheim and turn right on 101 PCH (Highway1). Yes, it is where Bellflower meets PCH, but you can't get into the parking lot from Bellflower. After a few U turns, then you can. From Joe Jost's it is the shortest and most direct way as described above. The parking lot entrance is off 101 PCH. My friend and his wife owned the Mexican Restaurant just back a ways on PCH. It is now a different restaurant.
    Belmont Shore is just a stone's throw away to the south and west. Great show every year.

LBCD... Domenico's Pizza has been around since 1954 and I am pretty sure that every teenager from the local high schools has been there to taste that fabulous pizza and... Don't forget that great salad with the secret dressing... It is still going strong after all of these years...still tastes the same. Parking is still a wonderful exercise in maneuvering. It is worse for the car show parking as 2nd street is closed for the show.
    Great times, great place...
    Thanks,
    Jnaki

18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spent too many lunches at the 49er. Pretzels/mustard and pitchers of beer.

19. jnaki

jnaki

YES ! LBSC is just up the road...
    Jnaki

20. jnaki

jnaki

LBCD,
    More photos or videos of the car show? They always had great cars on Belmont Shore's 2nd Street during this event.
    Jnaki

21. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. Google "Bombardment of Elwood". Happened about 23 February 1942.

Mick

23. flyin-t

flyin-t

Nope they still don't serve PBR and probably never will after Ken got so badly screwed by them. As much as I like ice cold PBR, that's no reason to stay out of Joes.

My son got married this weekend and I've had family out from the East, we're all staying down on Balboa peninsula, but Ive made more trips to Joes hauling out of towners over the last 7 days than I can believe. They all love it, couldn't get enough. Still the best bar in LB.

jcmarz and lbcd like this.
  24. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I liked this '30/31 truck a lot. The tiny man standing in the bed was a little strange:
    IMG_0063.jpg IMG_0064.jpg

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  25. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I saw your car, but there didn't appear to be anybody with it at the time. I was around the corner on Santa Ana at a friend's house with my shoebox.

lbcd likes this.
  26. flyin-t

flyin-t

This was the only hot rod I saw this last week down on the Balboa peninsula. Owner must live there as it was in a different spot everyday. Super rusty sheet metal, don't know if that was by design or from the salt air but it was pretty cool and for sale.
    FullSizeRender-51.jpg FullSizeRender-52.jpg

Russ B, lbcd and 50Fraud like this.
  27. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I've seen that RPU there everytime I go to

28. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Neat. Can you see what engine is in it?

29. flyin-t

flyin-t

Little embarrassed, but no. I didn't even look through the louvers.

30. 50Fraud

50Fraud

That thing deserves a new home. Whatever engine is in it, it's bitchin'!

Russ B likes this.