Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods so a 1956 ford f100 has a power brake booster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nobby, Dec 15, 2020.

1. nobby

nobby

1956 FORD F-100 4.4L 272cid V8 Power Brake Booster | RockAuto
    [​IMG]
    obviously doesn't live under the floor, so is it a remote servo/booster
    where is it located ?
    If it has a single circuit feed to it from the master
    does this then port out three ways - two to front one to the rear?
    is there anything that shuttles over to close off in the even of component failure.
    is there a added something in the system to adjust line pressure front to rear

2. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

I believe it's mounted on the left-hand inner fender near the master. Ralphie

3. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Never seen that before???

4. nobby

nobby

i think it is a 1956 thing only
    not 55

5. Power brakes were optional in the mid '50s Fords. The only ones I remember having power brakes were Thunderbirds and ton+ trucks. I do not remember how they hooked up. You didn't see them very often.

6. 54vicky

54vicky

midland was one supplier and they came on 54 as well.single feed to splitter for front and rear.used a vacuum line (hose) from manifold.no shuttle and no line pressure adjustment.usually mounted on left fender apron with a bracket

7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Didn't know trucks had them but cars had optional power brakes. Mounted on driver's side inner fender. Made by Midland and originals had Ford script pressed into them although they were exactly the same with or without the script.

8. Drove a hay truck with them when I was in high school or I would not know at all.

Ya got to remember about those early "Power Assist Brakes" they either worked really good (too good actually) or they were not power at all.

9. brading

brading

They were often seen on new cars in the 50s and 60s over when they came with disc brakes so you had to use less leg power. They were used on single line system brakes. Over here they were made by Girling and Lockheed. The inlet goes to the master cylinder and the outlet to the front/rear brake splitter. They have to sit at an angle of 25 to 45 degs.

Attached Files:

10. bchctybob

bchctybob

Another timely H.A.M.B. thread.
    I just bought a Model A coupe that has a “fruit jar” M/C and that first pictured booster under the floor. The brakes work great. I wondered what it was from. Interesting.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Those were available in the 1980"s in the aftermarket. My buddy put one on a Jeep hoping to make the 9 inch brakes work better.

12. bchctybob

bchctybob

^^^^ That makes sense, the whole chassis looks like it was done in the 80s.

13. jaracer

jaracer

Had one under the floor on my 54 Chrysler New Yorker. My 57 T-Bird has one on the left inner fender. They work pretty well. (not my car, too lazy to go out to the shop and take a picture) brake booster.jpg

loudbang likes this.