Register now to get rid of these ads!

snowbird hot rodders- teach me please.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lono, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Lono

Lono

Wife and I bought a house in California.
    What's involved in insuring a California registered car and driving it if your not a permanent California resident?
    Maybe bringing in my out of state car and registering and insuring it in California. What pitfalls will I encounter?

thanks guys in advance.:eek:

2. Last time I lived in good old sunny calif :)rolleyes:) they frowned on someone driving a california vehicle without a california liscence. I imagine that they have lightened up on that.

Someone who owns property and lives out of state should be able to answer that for you, or maybe you can contact the state DOT. I think that they have email in California like most other states.

3. Abomb

Abomb

I don't know if this is right or wrong, but I would register and insure my vehicles to my primary residence, not my secondary. Why go through the hassle of changing anything.

4. I get the impression that he is buying a california car to leave out there.

I registered my truck in Louisianna while I was living in mexico because they had a four year tag as opposed to a missouri 1 year tag. it just made life easier. I used the address of a friend in pineville. Itstarted out to be a pin in the butt because I didn't have a Louisianna drivers liscence. I told them that I didn't drive but it was my truck and people drove me around in it. They required me to have a Louisianna picture ID so I paid them 6 bucks for a picture ID.

I don't know if that will work in Calif but it may.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I think I'd call my insurance guy.

6. Or call a California insurance guy, he may have a good idea of what it takes to register a car of you are not a permenant resident.

7. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My understanding is that Ca requires you to register the vehicle in Ca if it is there for more than 30 days.

They want your money, they've got mine, and i'm there for only about 4 weeks per year!

Chris

8. roughneck424

roughneck424

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  9. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Should have moved to AZ no problem they just like your snow bird money