Register now to get rid of these ads!

Snow Driving

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JoeG, Oct 20, 2008.

1. JoeG

JoeG

Just curious how many of you are planning on using your cars in the snow this winter.

I usually pick up a beater and put my impala away for the few snowy months we have up here in Maine but I just don't see that in the budget this year. Right now I'm thinking of removing my lowered coils and putting the stock height coils back in place. That will at least get me some more ground clearance.

The underside and frame is in really clean shape so I'm hoping that the winter won't be too rough on it. Can you guys suggest anything I might want to do to make it weather the storms with the least amount of damage?

2. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I will be driving mine.

I just plan to hose the salt off it as much as possible. and will adress any rust issues as they come up.

[​IMG]

3. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

Ask Tuck about driving in snow. He digs it...

4. skwurl

skwurl

Snow driving is fun. Won't be using my old cars fer it though!

5. Tantara

Tantara
    from Minnesota

Wash the car top and bottom every time you get gas.

Brad

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I love driving in the snow. Though we don't get much here....

7. Joe King

Joe King

the ol truck is lots of fun in the snow, I put two bag of concrete (60 pound a piece)in the back and off I go. But to be fair it only snows for about a day here.

Attached Files:

8. My 54 has logged some winter miles.

9. Pete1930

Pete1930
    from Boston

If you're in any city, or anything other than small town roads, there are too many idiots on the road in winter, and too much chance for accident damage, not to mention the salt, to drive anything of value. Winter is for 'regular' cars. I have a Jeep.

IMHO, season in Boston to drive cool stuff goes usually to late Nov/early Dec, then starts earliest of March to get them out. So about 3 months to put the cool cars away. :)

Pete

10. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Ain't no experience in the world like heading out to gently fishtail fresh tracks during a midnight snowstorm. Windows half down, letting the roaring heater combat the cold with music flowing gently, roads all to yourself. The whole experience almost feels like slow motion thanks to blowing flakes muffling the exhaust, and the noises of the sleeping world. Rockwell would be jealous

11. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

[​IMG]

I drive mine till they really start salting the crap out of the roads. Only problem I have is the bottom third of the radiator packs up with snow, and like mentioned you need a little weight on the back tires.

12. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

I might give it a go in the olds this winter.

13. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I´d make at least sure that all the rockers and braces, even the framerails are filled with cavity wax, maybe the doors and 1/4 panels too. If salt water gets in there and there only blank metal, it´ll rot from inside out.

14. Just change a few things on the front end !! ( not mine ) but i do have the parts for this conversion.

Attached Files:

15. nexxussian

nexxussian

If they salt the roads there you might try some 'salt away' (there's an ad for it in the SCTA BNI rule book). I haven't tried this stuff yet but I'm going to order some for B-ville next year. If anybody's interested, I'll post a link.

They don't use 'salt' (NaCl) here anymore, Mag Chloride and Potassium Acetate (both mixed W/ corrosion inhibitors).

As for driving the vintage iron on the streets in the snow, not happenin'. As previously stated too many F-tards driving here in town. My favorite is the first snow of the year, so many people are driving like 'what's this stuff???". Soooo many crashes and ditch divers every year (we have alot of population turnover here in Anchorage, but not enough to explain it all:mad:). 'Course if you're into later model drive train stuff, that'll show up in 3-9 months in the salvage auctions:rolleyes:.

Not that I'm abbove 'playing' if the road's deserted (in the middle of the night, just like Shifty Shifterton was talkin' about :D, absolutly correct).

16. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I'll be using mine this winter again. Just have to be ready to deal with the rust when it turns up.

Just gave the plow a coat of paint this morning, tommorrow it gets the second coat.

Attached Files: