Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Snooter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ekimneirbo, Jun 10, 2019.

1. 26Troadster

26Troadster

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  2. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Sorry HotRodPrimer if my response was a little over the top. I simply meant to point out that as we get older we often have to adapt.As one of the people who previously viewed scooter riders with disdain, I can understand how people who (like me) never had any mobility problems because of good health, often feel that some of the people are just lazy and inconsiderate. I love yhe old saying "Knowledge is of little use until Exprience has given it meaning". They don't know what they don't know. Making the decision to walk less was not an easy choice for me.....and I'm sure from many of the responses that others don't take it lightly either. Its not just about walking less, but actually having to admit to yourself that you can no longer do everything you used to do. I think a commonality among everyone who posts here is that we are proud to be independent and have confidence that we are basically self-sufficient individuals. Anything less than full independence is unacceptable. We have to fight against age because that is our nature....but we do have to learn to adapt. The idea of the Snooter (Snapper Mower/Mobility Scooter) was to adapt, but to make it more palatable to both myself and others. At the Nationals, I found a lot of grins and odd looks...then smiles. People were accepting and friendly......and for the most part I was no problem to any of them. If I go into the pavilion, I try my best not to interfere with walkers whose attention is elsewhere.....But lets face it, even the people walking bump in to one another. Anyway, I hope some others follow my path and build their own custom scooter. I think you will see a lot more grins than frowns.

Hombre, get over it. You are denying many of the younger people the benefit of interacting with you and learning from you. Buy a scooter or build a Snooter, but geyt your a** out there and participate.

Jnaki, many scooters have batteries that will last a long time. The bigger scooters are pretty expensive, but even the smaller ones (get 4 wheel) go pretty far on a daily recharge basis. You can find used ones on Craigslist that usually have been setting and need new batteries. I did a little research and bought some batteries that are larger than the average scooter batteries. Bought them thru Walmart because I wanted to be sure I had plenty of power. You can even customize a stock scooter. I used an old Hoverround that had been used once and stored in a corner. It was like new. Seat was too big to suit me, so bought another smaller one for $30 from a guy who sells parts. Snapper mowers that don't run or in disrepair can be had for about $50....but use imagination and I'm sure other ideas better than mine will crop up. Com'on guys...get off your a**s and "Let's Roll"!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Great idea building your own "SNOOTER" mobile. As long as it makes your
    quality of life better you are "good to go".

Critics should walk a mile or two in your shoes.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd hell of a lot more see one of the older rodders I have known for years wheeling around a car show or swap meet on a scooter either bought , rented or home made than being hauled around in the back of someone's car with a blank stare and not recognizing anyone. I've seen that with a couple of real close friends in the past couple of years. The only problem I have ever had with someone on a scooter was a drunk who ran over me at the Portland swapmeet at the race track a few years ago and he was so damned drunk ragging on his ass wasn't worth the effort.
    I could give a damn if I have to walk around some guy taking up space with a scooter just as I do with a baby stroller or wagon full of parts. Life's too short to get your undies in a knot over trivial things.
    Side note: I was at one of the Portland indoor car shows when they still had the Roadster show and the the other one a few weeks apart down town in the Memorial Coliseum and that year Linda Vaughn was there. I was standing close to one of the entrances when someone spotted her and hollered "Lindas here!" The click and clack of walkers was overridden by the squeal of the tires on Blackie's scooter. That thing could make it the length of the building pretty fast.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  5. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

Life is too short to let yourself get irritated by a person at a car show on a scooter. You don't know why they need it. Have a little patience and move on. Enjoy the show.

dirty old man and deucemac like this.
  6. rudestude

rudestude

God Damn... ..remember when Hot Rods were Hot Rods and when Hot Rodders would gather they talked about Hot Rods that was a goodtime.

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

While "rudestude" has a point, and I started this thread in the hope of encouraging others to use their ingenuity and maybe solve any physical issues they might have , I do admit that it drifted. But, on the other hand, I think a lot of things that needed to be addressed were addressed and maybe people will be more tolerant...and spread that to others when they gripe about the older guys. That being said, I appreciate the hell out of all the support that was expressed. Didn't expect anything like that.

8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm 81 and know very well what the OP and others who are "mobility impaired" have and are experiencing, as I have bad legs and also have asbestosis, not the Mesothilioma (sp) cancer kind , just makes me quite shortwinded. I recently bought a wheeled walker with a built in seat, and I'm doing some walking with it in hopes of building up my legs a little to where every step from my vehicle to the inside of a store, etc. isn't quite so difficult. I've also used it at one small local cruise in.
    But several years ago I began to use the electric carts in stores for shopping once I get inside. Then I bought a used 4 wheel mobility scooter, replaced the tires and batteries and have used it with ramps to get it on and off my p'up. But that means I can't go to a cruise in, a swap meet, or anywhere except in my OT p'up. The batteries in it are dead again and they are so expensive I'm leary of buying because it's so old you can't get other parts for it. Also have a 3 wheeler "travel" scooter that breaks down into 5 pieces without tools and will fit in the trunk of my '40 Ford coupe, but not in my '31 roadster Hiboy.. OK on pavement but non to stable on uneven surfaces.
    Have located an old Snapper mower and plan to cross breed it with the older scooter using engine and drive system from the Snapper with the scooter chassis.

9. deucemac

deucemac

I still do, except sometimes it's on 4 small wheels and batteries

ekimneirbo likes this.
  10. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Ya'know, this discussion would probably be a good seed for a thread over in "The Antiquated" section if y'all that need some scooty wheels got to building your own with old stuff here like @EKIMNEIRBO has. I bet a lot of us have partial vintage riding mowers and scooters just collecting rust in our back 40's that could live new lives in fresh paint as custom, HAMB-friendly-ish mobility assistance.

11. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't attend the Tri-5 Nationals any more after 3 years of attendance because of the golf carts. Hundreds of them in one venue. A couple of years ago a woman was hit by one and taken away in an ambulance.

If it were people needing a mobility aid it would be fine. I've seen "limo" golf carts there with 3 row seating and I saw a two row golf cart with a platform on the back for a big dog. Then factor in the kids racing these things made for an unpleasant event in my opinion. Those folks did not need mobility help but were selfish and impressed with themselves. The management was fine with it.

chryslerfan55 and 56don like this.
  12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a time and a place for golf carts...the time is tee time and the place is on a golf course. I like the snooter. keep them small and slow, I am worried about the lack of a drink cooler though.

56don and dirty old man like this.
  13. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Nice, put some wheelie bars on it

patmanta and dirty old man like this.
  14. GTS225

GTS225

*****************************************************************************************

There was a time that I would get impatient with those that needed to utilize walkers or wheelchairs, and now power scooters. With the onset of "advanced" age, and the subsequent deterioration of my knees, I recognize that there may come a day when I, too, need one of them, so today I'm much more patient with the "less mobile" than I.

That being said, if I may offer you a bit of an idea for customization. How about turning that into a small version of the "Groovy Grader" from the 60's or 70's show circuit. I think it was a Tom Daniels creation, but my memory tells me the Snapper chassis would lend itself quite well to the look.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...-TiAhVLIKwKHYubBkIQMwg8KAUwBQ&iact=mrc&uact=8

Roger

chryslerfan55 and deucemac like this.
  15. rudestude

rudestude

The Rudestude was not meaning disrespect to anyone that uses any mobility devices just the fact that "Traditionally" this kind of stuff was not usually a topic of discussion among Hot Rodders, but times have changed people are more open about personal issues and mostly these types of devices weren't available in the day and now they are. It is nice to see people getting out and being involved in the hobby that in the past were not able to or ones that were involved but do to health or accident reasons ,in the past would have probably kept them from staying involved in the hobby . I have health issues myself , in fact I'm taking a break right now from working on my Studebaker because my feet are hurting so bad I can't stand for more than a couple minutes and I have to get off of them and I'm only 58 but for the last going on 6 years I have been dealing with Kidney cancer and after several surgery's I only have around 40% of one kidney remaining, but what I do have is functioning ok and I am currently cancer free, I do go in for MRI's tomorrow so that could change. The main thing that gets me pissed off the most is now they say that I'm borderline diabetic so I need to loose wait and eat better, well I didn't start gaining all the waite until I started having surgery's and being put on a shit load of meds and when I ate my usual meat and potatoes I felt alot better and my waite was lower...anyways Hot Rodders young and old take care of your selves...and if the day comes that I take ownership of a scooter it will most definitely be tire frying wheel standing S.O.B. Thanks
    Terry (aka Rudestude)

16. LOL I probably should not post this but I just cannot resist.
    A "snooter" is what we used to call a rolled up 20 dollar bill when I was a young man.

patmanta and rudestude like this.
  17. rudestude

rudestude

We called them tooters and they were $100 dollar bills, well they started as $100 bill but by the time it made it's way around the room you were lucky if it was at least a $20 bill. Ah the 80's...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

My Brother and I, built our own version of a mobility scooter. It will do over 30 mph and go 15-20 miles on a charge. Rocket Bike.JPG

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Did someone say scooter?
    The mods may delete this if inappropriate, don't want the thread closed.
    A couple I built, one is one leg powered, the other is "you better hold on". 20170114_165610.jpg

chryslerfan55 and ekimneirbo like this.
  20. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I appreciate the hell out of all the support that was expressed. Didn't expect anything like that.[/QUOTE]
    The negative bitchers always shoot their mouths off right away and are perceived as the majority but most people are good and rarely say anything until asked.

21. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Wow... Nicely done sir

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

Must be Jack Benny

56don likes this.
  23. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

Only if there's a fault with the electrical wiring:)

Seriously though, Having spent a few months on crutches and/or in a wheelchair after an accident where I ended up with a lot of Titanium in my leg, I would give way to anyone who needs a mobility aid at a show or elsewhere.

24. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Didnt read all the posts, so if I miss something, sorry.

Heres my take. I KNOW that NSRA will allow electric powered carts on the grounds. I've spoken with them regarding these before.
    Your cart looks like a good idea, but do you have to steer/control with your right hand on the seat, and steer at the handlebars too? I'd also consider flipping that front tube upside down, and maybe adding a floor. If walking isnt easy, Im sure stepping over that bar, and not having a floor isnt easy either!

I built a cart out of a powered chair and a pedal car, it looks cool, but its incredibly unsafe (likes to wheelie). Someday I might rebuild it a little different and make it work better. someday...

25. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Yes, I've had it to the Nats already and there was no problem. I would have liked to have a power control on the handlebar,but the one I have came with the Hoveround that I used as a basis for powering the Snooter. All the correct wiring and stuff, charging connection and charger. I put quite a bit of work into it, and didn't want to deal with rewiring. It works well enough. That was a very astute observation though. Its easy to get on/off. Only real problem I have is getting thru some of the narrower doors. I have to look for the wider doorways as its about 2" wider at the rear tires than most of the doors at the fairgrounds....but there are usually wider ones nearby.
    [​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and dirty old man like this.
  26. twenty8

twenty8

Cool little scooter.
    I know this is a couple of years old, but if you are so careful about the information you offer on the internet, maybe you should have chosen a different user name. Lucky those hackers and scammers aren't real smart hey Mike.....;)

27. twenty8

twenty8

Hey @DDDenny , any more pics/info on these? :cool::cool::cool:

28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The engine on this is a water cooled Honda CR-80/6speed.
    20170114_164709.jpg

20170114_165340.jpg

twenty8 likes this.