Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features "Snoopy" Model A Hot Rod Survivor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Denns1989, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

Just what I do...after 45yrs in the business.
    ZRod 20w50 is a ZDDP detergent oil from Amsoil I've run it for about 8 years.
    Uncle Hubie used 30 wt Quaker State since new.
    When we got 'Bertha' in 1976 I switched to 10w30 Mobil one. While doing the first oil change I stuck a finger in the pan a goodly amount of sludge came out.
    It's now pretty darn clean after 37yrs of twice year oil changes with a full synthetic oil....doesn't leak any more now than when we got her, no blue smoke
    [​IMG]
    I do not depend on 'carbon deposits' on the cylinder walls to prevent blue smoke. ;)

Snewpee's look'n better at every post, 303 Protectant will help that top a lot, I use it on everything under the Sun for UV protection.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    Markmonty likes this.
  2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Greatly enjoying reading your post. Very happy for you. Cool Coupe!
    I would not be as restrained as you seem to be about fixing stuff,I don't think ya need to do anything but what is going make the rod the most usible for you an your family,but then thats me.
    I'm 72 an still drive my hotrod I built in 1959,fact is I have kept it mostly as I built it,but there was stuff that really is good to up date ,like tires n sizes or anything for safety. I had let mine sit for a few years and had to do a rebuild over the last few years.
    I now have better EX n new alum Rad,plus a better aircleaner{ helth of my motor],my son got me a chrome one wire alt{but in my case its down almost out of site,my sealbeam bulbs are the new Holagin
    Upholstery style is great in your rod,but if it starts coming apart,fix it or replace in the same style,things like that really are needed. I myself hate the idea of patina if it is bad it needs fixing,nothing in my book calls rust or rot of any kind"looking good" If you had built it to strat with,your pride would not let it go bad in some other guys idea that patina looks good.
    I have the rebuild thread of my old rod { 28A] on the HAMB also,if ya want to see another rod for about the same time 1959 but in south Florida USA

3. hardly need plates right now but didn't want to miss out on this option...arrived today !

10437019_10152710750341093_5989088491071622888_n.jpg

WC145, volvobrynk, Hotrodmyk and 4 others like this.
  4. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

It's OFFICIAL...damn thats Kool

Denns1989 likes this.
  5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Love the plate,very cool add

Denns1989 likes this.
  6. sweet plates man, that winter sounds ferocious too. that's a cool thing about the south is you can work on your car all year long (even though I choose not to) it only just started cooling off yesterday, and itll be in the mid 70's-80's until around mid November, then a few months of overcast, chilly mornings and roof ice. by late Feb everyones having pool parties again, its pretty nice. I believe mungo jerry describes it pretty well in his most famous song.

Denns1989 likes this.
  7. drtybiker

drtybiker
    from florida

It was awsome when it got down to 82 today in the Tampa Bay area.....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

dana barlow and Denns1989 like this.
  8. 56shoebox

56shoebox

What is the top made from, leather or vinyl? I recommend the use of Lexol leather and vinyl products on it either way to condition it. They make a vinyl product (Comes in a blue spray bottle) that works great. DO NOT use Armor All if it is vinyl.

Denns1989 likes this.
  9. Yesterday morning I drove over to the marina parking lot for 10am & picked up Martin, the original owner/builder & brought him over for his first visit with Snewpee in a long, long time... I walk into the shop entrance, gesture towards the woodworking shop & say " I will show you the wood shop later, but I know this is what you want to see" & with that I slid the man door open to the car shop & turn the lights on, Martin takes one step inside the door, freezes & says "man, isn't that beautiful, doesn't that just look so good ?" Then we start making one of many laps around the car - he talks, I listen - then he opens the door & after admiring his wife's interior job asks if he can sit in it, I laugh & tell him he is more than welcome & then I ask for permission to get a picture :

P1050074.JPG

He recalls measuring up the enclosed driveshaft & bringing it to the machine shop to have it shortened, that the motor was bored 60 thou over & the shop class actually ran it up on a dyno, wishes he could remember the numbers...applying primer,sanding & repeating over & over on the rust pit's on the doors as the body fillers at the time were less than desireable, lead was used on actual repair areas, best he can remember they installed new king pins, tie rods etc when they put it together so hopefully bearings & rubbers is all I will have to do on the suspension, he depresses the momentary toggle switch on the dash & laughs - "that's how you turn it over, key is just for the points..." I call my mother up to get another photo :

P1050075.JPG
    My mother asks him if he's having a flood of memories, he reply's smiling from ear to ear "I thought this car was long gone, never did I think I would be able to see it again" & then tells my mother that there is only one person he would like to see own the car more than her son & that would be him, but having said that he knows the car is in good hands & that I have the right plan for it so that makes him happy. After at least an hour I suggest that we can head to my mothers home for coffee & muffin's he reply's " I suppose, I do have to get back to town soon, although I could stay here all day" & with that he taps his hand on the front cycle fender & we shut off the lights with plans to have his son from out of town down to see Snewpee in a couple months, hopefully it will be running sound by then.
    It was a good, good day.

10. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Beond words!

You did a good thing right there!
    Nice guys and a nice car!

Bubba1955 and Denns1989 like this.
  11. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Is this a script to a movie yet? I think I just cried a little.

"Listen Mr... It ain't broke if I can't fix it"

34 5W Paul, Denns1989 and volvobrynk like this.
  12. jocktherock

jocktherock
    from Sweden

Out of words... Just so amazing! History been script today!

volvobrynk and Denns1989 like this.
  13. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Such a cool story!

Denns1989 likes this.
  14. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

It's all about the history...keep up the great work!!!
    Did he have any photo's from back in the day? A then & now book would be so kool.

Bob

volvobrynk and Denns1989 like this.
  15. Great Stuff here!

Denns1989 likes this.
  16. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

Cant really see the pics must be something in my eye. What a great story to a great car. Thank you for what you have done. Cant wait till you take him a ride in the car.

Denns1989 likes this.
  17. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

They won't display for me either. :(

18. I asked about photo's he said he never took alot of them but he know's he has some, some buried away that his wife plans on going thru this winter & he thinks he might have one of the car just after he put it on the road in the community day parade with his buddy who helped him build the car, he said it's a great picture, promised he would dig it up for me to make a copy - I'm excited for that !

19. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

Great news! Can't wait to see 'em. :)
    Photo's have been a big part of keeping "Bertha's" story real for us.
    [​IMG]

Bob

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

fantastic ,love that car and the story that goes with it.

Denns1989 likes this.
  21. A small bit of progress... I decided that I need to have a simple job to work on during the work week so I always have some part of Snewpee to work on - First project is the baby moon caps, they are far from perfect, but because of my plan to preserve & not restore/replace, I want to clean them up as reasonably as I can - Below is a before & after, the before is a different cap, but comparable rusting I promise.

Before
    20141001_195433.jpg

and after a bath in "Metal Rescue" & polish with steel wool & 2 coats of some old turtle wax I had laying around...

20141001_195328.jpg
    Obviously with rust that heavy I was not expecting to wipe it off & have perfect chrome, but considering the rest of the "patina" on the car I think these will blend right in, scars & all ! Quite happy with how this one came up, second one is in the pail now & I have a third one on a "trial" in vinegar just to compare...

WC145, Woogeroo, Kan Kustom and 5 others like this.
  22. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

Jeremy,
    Those caps look gooood....keep a good coat of sealer on them and they'll stay Sweet.
    I use Griot's Paint Sealer on the L/U our Merc fish'n mtr. ;)
    [​IMG]

Bob

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  23. Babyearl

Babyearl

It just don't get any better than this.

Denns1989 likes this.
  24. Got to work on Snoopy today, the refurbished baby moons make a big difference with the appearance, even the wife was impressed !
    20141004_132737.jpg
    Also have the rebuilt starter & generator back on the motor, I rebuilt the fuel pump, installed the new water pumps & front motor mount rubbers, fuel line is flushed out & the gas tank has been further cleaned with a pressure washer & de-greased & metal prepped with the POR-15 products - wow does that degreaser ever "stir up" the gunk - Tank looks nice inside now, to be sure I will line it with the POR-15 tank coating next weekend.

I brought the air cleaner, oil filler cap, coil cover & old cowl tank cap to town with me & I will get those all cleaned up best I can this week... makin progress.

A friend of mine who is a car nutt dropped by to see Snewpee for first time today... lets just say it's fun when someone who really appreciates a car like this get's to see it... the stunned look on his face when he walked into the shop was priceless - ha ha good times.

WC145, Woogeroo, Babyearl and 2 others like this.
  25. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

Jeremy,
    Look'n good!!!

Did the builder install the narrow WW's?
    They just look a bit rong. ;)

Bob

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  26. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Looking GREAT keep up the good and steady updates! Gary

Denns1989 likes this.
  27. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Great story and great work. I'll be waiting for more like the rest of the crowd. I also vote for some rubber rake.

Denns1989 likes this.
  28. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

What a great story, keep up the good work!

Denns1989 likes this.
  29. cmarcus

cmarcus

Amazing stuff brother. Congrats...Snewpee is absolutely in the best hands possible! Following along....

Denns1989 likes this.
  30. The story is so great, and the car. My eyes were starting to swim. I also own a old hotrod with a very colorful history. Best wishes to you, and snoopy. In a crazy world, this can be the very best thing to be involved with. I know it makes me happy. Mikey.

Denns1989 likes this.