Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features "Snoopy" Model A Hot Rod Survivor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Denns1989, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Man I hate working under the dash!
    my body just won't bend the way I need it to any more!
    Glad to see youthfull determination at work!

Denns1989 likes this.
  2. Well here is where I left off yesterday morning, I still have the turn signal wiring harness (needed a pencil tip soldering iron for that), a few wide spade connectors for the gauge termination's, connect pigtails for the cowl & tail lights & run new battery cables - I'm happy with the progress, considering my first time wiring & laying on my back in a channeled coupe for 90% of the time I think it turned out pretty good, at least I can see the light at the end of the tunnel !

20141230_192427.jpg 20141230_213135.jpg 20141230_213157.jpg 20141230_213247.jpg 20141230_213313.jpg

WC145, Woogeroo, volvobrynk and 3 others like this.
  3. Squablow

Squablow

Looks good. Glad the visible engine harness will be an old style one, new plastic wires aren't very pretty on a period car, but they're a great idea under the dash for safety's sake, where they won't show anyway.

Atwater Mike and Denns1989 like this.
  4. Good Job, you can come and rewire mine!

Denns1989 likes this.
  5. Looks like the rear drums are not good enough to reuse (deep grooves, machinist is worried the drum will be to thin by the time the groove is cleaned up) , not to mention oversize... My hubs are in good shape (keyway & bearing race) any mystery to what drums to order when reusing the hubs ?

WC145 and volvobrynk like this.
  6. Torchie

Torchie

All you need to know are weather or not your hubs are the inside style or the outside style a far as I know. The wiring is looking great.
    Torchie.

Denns1989 likes this.
  7. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I would just make sure the drums are round and let the brake shoes ware in to the drums, until you can locate some good original drums. It will take a few adjustments as they ware, but you might find some good drums before you are ready to drive your car.

Denns1989 likes this.
  8. I didn't see it mentioned yet so:
    You want drums that measure 12 inches MAX.
    More and they have reached the end of their useful life.
    Also, the technique with shoes is to
    remove lining until the shoes are centered in the drums
    when brake is applied. Or your new linings will not feel
    like new untill they wear out becomming centered by wear
    until they reach full contact.
    Just my $.02

Denns1989 and volvobrynk like this.
  9. saltracer219

saltracer219

Standard new factory diameter on those drums was 12.00 inches. So finding used 12.00 inch drums is mostly impossible. It is safe to turn those drums to 12.060. Many will say up to .125 over but that in my opinion is really pushing the safety limit. Anything over 12.030 and the shoes should be arced to the drums. Most shoe reliners add .020 to compensate for some drum wear. Some fairly light smooth grooves are ok to leave as the new shoes will wear in and conform to them in a very short period of time. Hope this helps, G.....

Denns1989 and Tony Martino like this.
  10. saltracer219, well explained!
    I guess my fuzzy thinking is catching up to me.
    I meant 12.060 inches MAX but never finished, and worse yet never noticed!

Denns1989 likes this.
  11. Thanks all for the reply's & info.
    Machinist friend was over for dinner last night & he measured the old drums up earlier in the day, aside from the groove it looks like the worst they are over is around .020, so he is going to take a light skim and we will see how "round"they are, hopefully we can get in under .060, if not I will explore other options.
    Also had some time in the afternoon, took a deep breath and soldered the turn signal portion of the harness into the old VW Bug switch, all seemed to go well, I will know soon when I hook up the battery, hopefully next weekend :)

WC145 and Woogeroo like this.
  12. Mart

Mart

If the drums are only lightly grooved, just let the shoes bed into the drums. After a bedding in period and readjustment they will work just as well.

Mart.

13. Ya not to worried about the groove now just want to make sure they arent warped & clean up the ridge on the drum lip, should be good to go - Now I'm hoping to hear from Mac Vanpelt next week & I can get the transmission plan together, I want to get the motor & transmission back in soon ! Having this much torn apart makes me nervous :)

WC145 likes this.
  14. Slopok

Slopok

Before hooking up the battery, do all your tests with a battery charger just in case. Safer if something is wrong.

volvobrynk, Bubba1955 and Denns1989 like this.
  15. norms30a

norms30a

Really good thread, and a really neat car. Your video of the first start up was way cool, like a little kid at Christmas.

volvobrynk and Denns1989 like this.
  16. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

A really excellent suggestion !!

Denns1989 likes this.
  17. 31pickemup

31pickemup

Very nice progress. Thats my next job. I have zero turn signals

Denns1989 likes this.
  18. Slopok

Slopok

Stick your arm outa the window, now that's traditional.;)

19. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

Me too....

Been away for awhile....but it's sure great to see the progress you've made!!!

Bob

Denns1989 likes this.
  20. Here is an update video... wiring is almost there, actually to the point I started inspecting transmission parts, removed transmission mount etc. this morning, that will be the next "focus"... hopefully I hear back from Mac Vanpelt soon or I guess I will order some parts myself & hope for the best !

I want to see that motor & transmission back in !

WC145, volvobrynk and Flowmeister like this.
  21. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Glad you are making progress, it is exciting when your wiring all pretty much works! Gary;)

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. Just spoke with a guy who was good friends & co worker with the 3rd owner (the one who passed away years ago & had parked the car in 1970)
    His friend recalled the day he first brought the car by the sign shop he worked at to show his co workers, he left it idling outside & when he went inside, the guy I was talking to got some help & they jacked / blocked the car up on the backend just enough so the tires wouldn't make contact... guess when he went to leave he revved it up good before relaizing what they had done, he was a quiet type & just smiled, jacked the car up, removed the blocks & was on his way... I'm hoping I can get some more stories out of this guy, he used to ride around in Snoopy quite frequently back in the day !

Bubba1955 and volvobrynk like this.
  23. neatoldclassics

neatoldclassics
    from Montana

very cool! subscribed

Denns1989 likes this.
  24. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

When I was 15 my Dad gave me my first car, I won't admit too what it was here on the HAMB but suffice to say it was English, had no top and wasn't a sports car. What it was, was basket case....literally.
    It was all there, it just wasn't put together. "It's yours, do what you want with it".
    It took 6 months but it was finally together AND, I now had my Jr. License.

There were 6 of us and we called ourselves the "Rod Knockers", and now we had our first moving vehicle, the "Little Red Wagon".
    The unveiling was at the local movie theater on a Saturday afternoon, (Jr License, had to be during the day.) Six kids was a tight fit, it was barely able to move but it was a convertible.
    I was so proud that I decided the we should go over to the "Clutch Artist's" clubhouse and show them what we all had accomplished. Agreed, so off we went. Parked right out front under the C-A sign.

Well, they were very cool and encouraging. And after an hour or so of shoot'n the bull and showing us all their "real" Rods it was time to leave.
    The "Wagon" was gone, nowhere to be seen, six sad "Knockers" and a bunch of smerking "Artists".
    After much jab'n & jive'n we were told where to find it.....around the corner, on the sidewalk in front of Carpenter's Salvage Yard.... sitting on four cement blocks.

Good thing there were six of us to lift it off the blocks. :)

Bob

25. Got an email from Mac earlier today & just got off the phone with him, parts are ordered & all in stock ! Now I will find out where I can press the old bearings off and new ones on, I got some options - Mac was very helpful, great to deal with. Making progress :)

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Good for you! they are great to deal with and your progress is Great. Gary

27. So the rest of my wiring needs are on backorder & my Vanpelt order arrived just yesterday, so this weekend is focusing on the transmission.

Lot's of new parts ! :)

20150117_092638.jpg

Started with the shifter assembly, good thing I had the spare transmission, hard to see in this photo but the 2nd / 3rd shifter fork was worn badly (note circular groove / rings)

badfork.jpg

This what a "better" fork looks like (see how it still has a "pad" on the tip of the fork)

goodfork.jpg

Detent balls were flatend as well as the shifter lock pin was worn like an hour glass, so the spare transmission to the rescue again, then cleaned up the parts & reassembled.

20150117_111045.jpg

2015 - 1.jpg

And now onto the transmission case, remove & replace clutch pivot arm bushings, test fit pivot arm, clean up case.

20150117_122246.jpg

and then I will continue with front bearing retainer seal & other prep... unfortunately I need to get bearings pressed off / on next week before final assembly can happen - but lots to do in the meantime !

WC145, Woogeroo, volvobrynk and 2 others like this.
  28. Mart

Mart

I like your gearbox stand. Just don't turn the casing too many times to the left!. LOL. (I know you already know this).

Mart.

Atwater Mike and volvobrynk like this.
  29. Torchie

Torchie

Nice progress.!!
    Torchie.

30. Thanks, fun to share the progress.

I got all the nuts & bolts washed up & wire wheeled (clutch, bell housing, mounts etc) sorted, ready for installation - Installed new release bearing, input seal, clutch pivot bushings, transmission mount (on cross member) - Then I was able to install the thrust washers, cluster gear & reverse gear into transmission - now that is on hold till I get the bearings pressed. Today after I get more oil for the furnace... I will run the 00 welding cable for the battery & solder the ends on, then maybe get a few suspension bushings installed...

Progress from yesterday.

20150117_162026.jpg 20150117_172906.jpg 20150117_172945.jpg