Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features "Snoopy" Model A Hot Rod Survivor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Denns1989, Sep 8, 2014.

1. This Thread is still proving that you can't build History!
    You just have to hang around long enough to see what happens!
    Great job adding to it!

WC145, Woogeroo and Denns1989 like this.
  2. This is sooo rad

Denns1989 likes this.
  3. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

just finished reading your story,
    every thing about it is great , the karma will shine on you .
    Their is a reason that you've got that car ,more than just lucky .
    Stay true to you values ....

Denns1989 likes this.
  4. There will be very few "additions" to Snewpee, but I think this is a positive one, have to admit I took a deep breath before drilling the mounting holes...
    20141012_125045.jpg
    Canadian thanksgiving here this past weekend, not much progress but I did get the final coating applied inside gas tank, looks really good, air cleaner, coil cover, head acorn nuts & oil filler cap were de-rusted last week & back on motor, removing radiator today for a proper clean & pressure test at a shop in town. Then clean out oil pan & I will be close to firing up & running on it's own systems (no jumpers) once the gas tank coating is dried & I get the radiator back. Picked up wheel bearings/seals order last week & full brake overhaul parts are on order...

WC145, Baumi, Grabea and 2 others like this.
  5. You got it ! When I'm wrenchin on Snewpee I'm at "peace", my neighbour commented yesterday how much "work" I have to do on Snewpee... I laughed this isn't work... this is bliss !

6. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

Amen, brother! Worked on Weeze all weekend and am now as stiff as can be and loved every crazy second of it, spitting and cussing and all. It's a great hobby and when you step back at the end of the day to take in what's been accomplished, there's nothing else like it.

Can't wait to see a video of Snewpee running down the road again, turning heads and bringing huge smiles to everyone who sees her after her long sleep.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Grabea and Denns1989 like this.
  7. RoadsterRod1930

RoadsterRod1930
    from NEPA

i love this car, awesome job cleanin her up and giving the car what it deserves a good home!

Denns1989 likes this.
  8. Kool49

Kool49

Very cool to find something like that.

Denns1989 likes this.
  9. studebaker46

studebaker46

10. Just picked up the cleaned, repaired & tested radiator from the local rad shop which is ironically across from where I work - when I dropped it off last week I explained to the guy that I was aware that the rad was a bit rough (it has an added upper & lower port & the one lower port was also relocated - think it's a modified Model A rad) & that I was okay with that, just wanted it cleaned & tested, hopefully it might only need some light repairs and not to paint it as it would stick out against the rest of the car - he replied " ohh ya it's a rat rod eh ?" I think he might have seen me twitch a little & I replied "no just a survivor hot rod, that I'm trying to be careful with"... anyways it needed the tank joint repaired on one side of the top tank & that's about it - all cleaned up & ready to go back in ! Last weekend I was out of town at a wedding & this weekend I'm on call for work... but next weekend I'm hoping to have it running on it's own systems, a little progress forward all the time :)

WC145, volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. you've come a long way in a short time!
    Can't wait to hear it1

Denns1989 likes this.
  12. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I would like to see restored, that match a car that has unchanged for that long. Equaly awesome and a little scary.
    A little Dorian gray like.
    It's such and epic thing when someone "battles" time like you do!
    Please post pictures, it would be a shame that you do so much to preserve, and we can't see it. :D

Denns1989 likes this.
  13. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for posting all your work in cleaning up this piece of history . You are the right guy for this amazing job .

Denns1989 likes this.
  14. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

This thread is just simply fantastic. I am so glad I stumbled on it. I need to go to bed, but can't stop reading.

Denns1989 likes this.
  15. Not very exciting photos, but kind of humerous, Here is the rad after I removed it... look along the side flanges - looks like they had some trial & error when first mounting it !, there are more holes than metal ! You don't see the holes once it's mounted because of the upright posts that it bolts to as shown in second photo (with rad removed)
    20141013_134115.jpg
    20141013_134047.jpg
    Also noticed that the upper ports are different sizes !, haven't measured yet but I think one is 1.25 " & the other must be a little bigger, as typical they used what they had available back then ! - ha ha I know both of the upper rad hoses are 1.25", guess I will have to "massage" the one new rad hose onto the fitting.

Hope I'm not boring people with these updates, as if it isn't obvious I get a kick out of all the quirks & story's I discover along the way.

Once again, thanks for the feedback everyone, I'm really happy to share Snewpee's story.

16. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D:eek: Nice save.Keep the pics coming.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

17. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Wow. Just....Wow.

18. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

Them's just old school speed holes, my friend. Saves weight, makes it go fast.:rolleyes:

And you are not boring us sharing your story with its details. We live for this type of story! Keep it coming!!!!

Bubba1955, volvobrynk and dana barlow like this.
  19. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

It sure doesn't hurt me reading these small posts and I live for the pics. But hey, I'm a self-honorary member of the "SNEWPEE" fan club.

"I need my mirror boy"

20. wallster

wallster
    from Buffalo NY

Great thread, love the history (and of course the car!)

Wally

21. The use what you got didn't stop in the 60's just to let you all
    know. My 31 runs a Merc flathead but it's cooled by a Walker
    radiator for a Model A running a Chevy, with the extra water
    inlet and outlet soldered on!
    Keep up the work and enthusiasm, it helps us old farts keep motivated!

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. SIC98

SIC98

Great thread, love this story and that car! This is not boring my friend, this is the stuff we sign on to find here on the HAMB, the stuff some lucky son of a gun found that we didn't, and I for one get emotionally involved in, no pressure, we're just all counting on you! :)

23. P930

P930

Amazing. Such a great thread. Great progress keep the pics coming. I could not stop reading this thread. Wonderful survivor.

24. I think we all enjoy looking at any piece of this wonderful old hotrod. I know I certainly do.

25. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Just too cool! Great find!

26. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Not boring at all. Funny holes.......

27. impala4speed

impala4speed

I love this thread and your project. Please keep the posts coming. Not boring at all!

28. That's a grrreat' looking radiator considering all the years' opportunities to crunch the fan into it.

That car has definitely led a charmed life..........belying its original hot rod malcontent.

29. mike bowling

mike bowling

The stars are definitely in alignment in your end of town.Congrats and good luck with it- the whole story is amazing.It's really great that the original owner is around to see you put life back into the old girl( and the video of you when she fired off is what this whole thing is about; like a kid on Christmas morning)

30. JUNK ROD

JUNK ROD

wow :eek:awesome story, awesome car! Your doing it right! Keep up the good work! Your not boring at all. Subscribed...:)