Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features "Snoopy" Model A Hot Rod Survivor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Denns1989, Sep 8, 2014.

1. I am very happy to introduce "Snoopy" a early 60's built hot rod that was last plated in 1970, until just over 2 weeks ago it had been sitting in a garage untouched, see my introduction thread here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/new-from-the-soo.942093/#post-10601643 for the story leading up to me becoming it's new caretaker, I thought I should move over to the gen discussion now that I have introduced myself and ready to talk about the car- I have grown up working on cars, and a vintage Model A Hot Rod has been my dream car, here is Snoopy being "extracted" from it's long, long slumber...

snoopy_03.jpg

and a side shot, had to use dolly's under the front tires as they were locked up...

snoopy_01.jpg

I have more pictures & info to share but thought I would break it up a little, hope people enjoy - I'm looking forward to being "school'd" by people who know much more about all details of these old hot rods than I do, I'm 39 so this car was already parked for 5 years before I was born ! I have already located & had a beer with the original owner / builder (I'm the 4th owner) so I have many notes & will have more when he comes to my shop for a face to car reunion !

2. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

Just Kool!!!

Denns1989 and aussie57wag like this.
  3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

cool. don't forget to post a bunch of pics.:)

Denns1989 likes this.
  4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Now, THIS, is going to be interesting.

Cusco and Denns1989 like this.

5. Rad! looking forward to more info and pics

Denns1989 likes this.
  6. Thanks for the comments, great to share with people who "get it", when I went to visit the original builder, he hands me a beer & introduces me to his wife "this is Elizabeth, she stitched all the interior over a winter on her mom's foot tredle sewing machine, I got the inspiration out of a Hot Rod magazine" she wanted to see pictures of the interior to see how it has survived since the early 60's, the car was built over a 2 year period starting in 1960.

snoopy_07.jpg snoopy_08.jpg

7. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

Kool again... then what happened next?

8. Oh man! I just read your other thread. This is one helluva story!! I'm subscribed to this thread. Bitchin man, just bitchin'! Tell us more and keep us posted.

Outback and Denns1989 like this.
  9. jocktherock

jocktherock
    from Sweden

Can i call you HONEST CHARLEY,because you do it right from the first step in this very sentimental sale? Big heart hot roding! Thx for sharing this with us-Thanks

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Cool coupe, great story.

volvobrynk and Denns1989 like this.
  11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

wow. great shit right there...

Sprout and Denns1989 like this.
  12. What a great story!!! I hope the flatty is good and fires up and gives you years of fun. I'd be careful about too many changes right away. Give yourself time to get "used to it". I wish I had done that in the past. Love it, keep us informed. Tim

Denns1989 likes this.
  13. Meeting the original builder happened by chance, my buddy's dad (who actually raced against this car with his 34 Chevy coupe back in the 60's) told me to go see another guy who he was sure owned Snoopy in the later 60's, I located this guy my buddy's dad mentioned & sure enough he was the 2nd owner, he bought it from the original builder in 66, sold it in 68, he told me the name of the original builder, I checked the phone book, called, left a message - the next day he called me at work and said he almost fell over when he got my message - he is now 72, started the build when he was 18 with a $15 "heap of a body" & a 1947 Mercury 4-Door that donated the front & rear suspension/axles, X-member,steering box, fuel tank & even the floor !

snoopy_14.jpg
    only shows one exhaust pipe, the left side was rotted right off & the right side is there in pieces...
    snoopy_18.jpg
    gotta love the knife handle on the dipstick...the exhaust pipe work is bizarre around the front frame section...

OLLIN, mrquickwhip, WC145 and 5 others like this.
  14. jocktherock

jocktherock
    from Sweden

Hold on man,we cant take anymore... You are getting the hole story on that jewel! Awesome,now i cant go to mywork because i will miss something! Take care

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. RoadsterRod1930

RoadsterRod1930
    from NEPA

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww goreouse awesome find, ill trade you my survivor for yours!

Denns1989 likes this.
  16. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I'm SO Subscribing to this! This is such a awesome find!

It deserves more pictures!!

I love that it got Bike fenders and bobbed in the rear, and I love that it's got bucket seat. And and unchopped but channeled! Beutiful.

The untouched part is always nice.
    How little will you touch?

Fix broken, minimum paint and make it safe.
    But generaly just threat it it like a fine woman, love it like your own children,
    and drive it like it was build to be?

You did good!

And like 3W Larry always says;
    Waiting paitienly for pictures.

WC145, Scott Mannion and Denns1989 like this.
  17. RoadsterRod1930

RoadsterRod1930
    from NEPA

cant stop lookin at this car, its so rad

Denns1989 likes this.
  18. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I shoulda copyrighted that phrase...:)

19. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have to subscribe to this. this story is just too cool!

mrbeetle and Denns1989 like this.
  20. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

No need, you are so famous for saying it, that it already belongs to you.
    Now we just need HRP, and we can call this officialy open.

Please keep this going, it's such a nice car!

Denns1989 likes this.
  21. A couple more pictures before I have to get to bed (6am comes early) - the 8BA engine was bought from the local Tech highschool, it was a shop project engine, bored & rebuilt, the original builder laughed about the tranny in the car - he didn't want to use the one out of the 47 Merc donor because it was a column shift & the after market floor shifters would have been to close to the drivers leg, he wanted a toploader & the local wrecking yard only had one out of a 35 Ford at the time, he said it worked fine but those square cut gears would just "howl".
    As far as my plans, I'm taking my time & want to only do what has to be done to make it safe & roadworthy, I'm even nervous to have to replace a screw or bolt with new because it will stand out against the rest, for me being able to touch the lead body work & paint that was shot in the early 60's & hold the same steering wheel that the original builder held when he pegged the speedo on the north highway is priceless - I want to polish the paint the best it can be & scrub / straighten up the interior as well without changing a thing -
    YES to new seals, wheel cylinders, brake linings, brake lines, fuel tank clean & condition,rad hoses, flush & new fluids(and hopefully only a tune up) etc.
    No to new interior, disc brakes & base clear paint & a fuel injected SBC - don't get me wrong, I like anything with an engine & each to their own, but I strongly feel I would be doing this particular car a great dis-service to venture from what it is.
    Two things I'm struggling with is I love the look of lake headers & I think the stock 6.7 x 15's on the back look to skinny... both of these things could be reversed... I have all winter to decide I guess...

P1050001.JPG

Trunk with 47 merc gas tank, original filler on lower left is pinched off & welded, filler neck was added to the upper right & then the tank was "relived" along the front side (with a sledge hammer) to make room for the spare tire to be lowered between the tank & rear interior panel.

P1040968.JPG

1st task was to work on getting the front hubs un-siezed & fill all the 6.7 x 15's with tire slime so they would hold air for more than 2 minutes... once I learned how the brake adjusters worked & emptied half a can of penetrating oil between the backing plates & finned brake drums followed by a "persuasion" with a plastic hammer the front hubs broke free.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    WC145, Outback, 1Nimrod and 6 others like this.
  22. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

6 am? Where are you. It's 6Am here and I'm on my job, clocking in? I'm in Denmark.

Outback likes this.
  23. Almost midnight here in Northern Ontario, Canada - I have to get up for work at 6am ! Goodnight :)

1Nimrod and AB Normal like this.
  24. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Good for you. Well done.

Denns1989 likes this.
  25. customizer2024

customizer2024
    from niles, mi.

WoW, being honest is what got you this opertunity to do something so special, for your self and for the beautiful widow that intrusted it with you. Good job and have fun young man. I'll be watching.

Kan Kustom, Denns1989 and volvobrynk like this.
  26. Great stuff right there !

Denns1989 likes this.
  27. This is too cool to miss out on, im in for the ride. What a treasure !!! JW :)

Denns1989 likes this.
  28. Man, that is just plain cool.

Sometimes it just takes the right guy to buy one of these "not for sale cars. You played your cards right by just laying them on the table. Congrats.

Outback and Denns1989 like this.
  29. It doesn't get better than a Hot Rod with bona fide history!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
    WC145, Denns1989 and volvobrynk like this.
  30. Love this whole story.