Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Sneak pipes?? Cheater pipes??

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Delray292, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Delray292

Delray292

I'm having a brain fart here guys, what do you call those capped exhaust pipes they used to put in the front wheel well poking out just behind the tire?

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Lakes Plugs...or "dumps"...at least, where I lived that's what we called 'em...

R-

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I use the 2 you mentioned and "cut outs", "lake plugs" and I'm sure there's more...

4. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

5. slowmotion

slowmotion

Peeking out of the wheel well they were called 'lake plugs' around here. 'Cut-outs' were hidden under the car integral to the exhaust system and manually or electrically operated by the driver. That's how I remember it anyways.

6. Delray292

Delray292

Cool, thanks guys!

7. Lake Plugs in the upper Midwest......Centurion9

8. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sneakers or sneak pipes. :cool:

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Sure, they dumped exhaust out ahead of the muffs...

Regional areas always had their own words...I grew up in small town Iowa: 'rake' for a nose down attitude; "spaghetti pipes" for those four foot long chromed, belled scavenger type exhaust pipes hanging below the rear axle; "suckers" for 'J' hooks to pull the coil springs together in the front to achieve a 'rake' and sometimes "dumps" referred to plumber's metal pipe caps welded to the bottom of the exhaust header so you could simply reach under the car and unscrew them. I'm sure there's more that I've forgotten.

R-

10. Dumps

11. x 2

12. LOL- if I said "I've got a wicked pair of dumps behind my front wheels" with my old buddies back in North Philly, they'd be giggling about the crap someone took on the street by my car :D

13. slowmotion

slowmotion

'Dump' is what you do to the clutch after you uncork you lake plugs...

Or the next stop after Hector's Burrito Bar...

14. fat141

fat141

Hey Roge, maybe you could write a book on 'em. LOL :):)
    Rod

15. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

16. I had them on my fuelie 57 Bel Air in the 60's. I simply referred to them as "DUMPS."

17. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Yep- dump the exhaust ,dump the clutch and dump the trany gears all over the street :D been there, done that:eek:

18. Dumps, Lakers if they ran down the sides.

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Cut-outs or dumps are pretty much the only nick-names I've heard. Gary

20. khead47

khead47

Dumps around MoTown.

21. Actually if they were lakes plugs dumping the clutch is the opposite of what you would do. :D

I have an older friend from indiana (take mine and add nine) that calls them cut outs. I always thought that a cut out was the little Y deally that you could open for straight pipes and close when the cops were comming. But that is what they called them when he was comming up where he came up at.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  22. slowmotion

slowmotion

Yep, that's what I mentioned in my earlier post.

A guy here had a set of lake plugs (dumps to you :D) on a '61 Belair when I was a kid. I thought those things were the coolest thing ever, peeking out of the wheelwell. Tried to talk the old man into putting a set on the family Galaxy. Didn't fly..

23. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I remember them being called Lake pipes or Lake plugs. The guys with the newer Dodges that had the front ends raised used the
    Plumbers pipe plugs in such a way they were hanging almost vertical and could easily be seen when cruising.
    It was an awesome site for a 16 year old driving a 54 Ford in 1963, when they idled through the Dog & Suds intimidating the lesser cars.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

24. 58cchevy

58cchevy

back in the 50-60 years we used gas tank necks with caps and called them dumps. the ones on my impala roadster are much better. but they are still dumps.

Attached Files:

25. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

Way up here in northern Minneeesota. We call them dump tubes. Mine on my 51.

Attached Files:

26. Gman0046

Gman0046

Plumbing pipes with nipples that had nuts welded on them was what we called "dumps". Without the nuts they would vibrate off if the nipples weren't tight enough and you couldn't get them off without a wrench if they were too tight. That was the cheap way to go. I always thought the short section of lakes pipe and the chrome looked neat.

27. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

here's some gas cap dumps on my coupe.. Easy off and on...

Attached Files:

28. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

dumps on my '39 Chevy p/u..................

Attached Files:

29. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

50’s 60’s So. Cal. was Lakes Pipes if the were capped exhaust pipes that ran parallel on the bottom outside under the door. Cut Outs were usually in the wheel well but many were hidden under the car on the down tube from the exhaust manifold. Those are the only terms I remember them being called. Taking off of the plug was UnCorked. Conversely "Corking Them Back Up was self explanatory. Straight Pipes was no mufflers at all, Duals, Twin or Twice Pipes was two exhaust pipes. Drag Pipes were pipes that ended right under the rear axel. I had my share of loud mufflers, uncorked cut out tickets believe me, especially from Officer Knight. $#@&*#.