Register now to get rid of these ads!

sneak peek...57 chevy headlight treatment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brewsir, Aug 9, 2006.

1. brewsir

brewsir

I scored a set of 56 headlight assemblies and fenders from Yorgatron...here's what I'm doing with them! I didn't like where I had them and had to recut and slide forward about an inch...better now!

Attached Files:

2. Harms Way

Harms Way

I am looking forward to seeing this finished,.... I like it. is that galvanized your using for a filler ? if it is be careful.

3. brewsir

brewsir

HAHA...it looks like it huh....actually it is the white fenderwells showing through the space I have yet to fill! I will be using 56 sheetmetal for filler!

4. DrJ

DrJ

Good headlight to put on darn near anything from '41 to '57 to make it look mo-betta.

May I suggest you move the interior vent ducting to the grill area like it was on '54's?
    Or maybe a functional '57 Corvette or Eldorado Barritz type scoop on top of the fender! Yea!

5. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Awesome, it'll look killer.

6. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks real kool Brewsir!!! You don't see '57 Chevys with different headlight treatments. After looking at your picture I don't know why more of them are not modified.

Keep us posted.

Happy Trails,

Mick

7. brewsir

brewsir

One step ahead of ya doc...i am going to suck air from behind the 57 buick grill ! Not really into the scoops on the fender as I feel it breaks up the lines. Now I just need to figure out what I want to do with the hood..gotta lose the gunsights but I don't want to just smooth them like most people do...I'm sure it will come to me in my sleep !

8. KCsledz

KCsledz

why not just round out the peaks like this.

Attached Files:

• 57.jpg
      57.jpg
      File size:
      76.5 KB
      Views:
  9. JayD

JayD

Can't wait to see it finished. Looks like it'll be killer!

10. brewsir

brewsir

Because then it would look just like every other mild custom 57 chevy...I already used the same grille as most (but I really love the look) but for the hood and headlights I am doing something different....just not sure what yet!

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  11. KCsledz

KCsledz

I am very interested in where you decide to pull parts from. It just might get me to think out of the box a bit on my 57 chevy wagon. Nate drew up a sketch for me a while back that I will be sicking to for the present time. ITs going to be my paint scheme.

But I totally agree on loosing the gun sites. Some thoughts I have were what can take their place if I leave the openings. A different piece of chome? An orniment? Maybe if its done in a consealed fashion the turn signal?

I am really looking forward to seeing your finished headlights. But I do love the 57 chevy eyebrows!

12. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

Exactly!
    Those headlights are killer.
    now fill the hood sights with some exhaust tubing and you're golden.;)

Craig:cool:

13. ground_pounder

ground_pounder

its got a bit of a olds flair to it too, i always wondered about running the olds style front bumper n such on a chev myself, them open mouth fronts are smooth...

14. Anderson

Anderson

You never see a '57 with a custom headlight treamtent. Those Olds rings look great.

Here's what DrkGrn57's gunsights look like. Filled in the potmetal trough and the finned piece at the rear, then slid the stock rocket part back.

Attached Files:

15. KCsledz

KCsledz

Brewsir - you got an update on the headlights and hood?

16. brewsir

brewsir

I put a little bondo on and roughed it in...took surprisingly liitle plastic. Still haven't decided on the hood yet,my first idea went to hell when i cut off the fins and found they are hollow....NEXT! Also I have been working on plans for turning it into something really cool but I'm not ready to share just yet!!!!

17. I think I saw an article where Bill Hines extended the peaks forward over the edge of the hood and down towards the grill. Just can't remember if it looked good or bad!

18. striper

striper

Don't know if this would look good or bad either...but what about plain chrome bullets in there. Same diameter as the peaks. Still ornamental but a bit simpler....Maybe

19. teddyp

teddyp

if chopolds see this he may have a picture of a 57 hardtop that he put i think 70 cuda hood scoops on look great and very driffrent

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

very cool with the headlight mods... here's something to think about... I saw a 57 4 door hardtop at a cruise a while back, the guy had taken the skin off another GM hood of that era and grafted it on the 57 hood.. no gunsights - no ribs, just flat. looked really cool and different.

21. brewsir

brewsir

I am leaning towards doing that (smooth hood) but peaking the center so it matches the fenders...I would post a pic of the finished fender but I can't add any pics in my response....damn I hate computers!

22. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Here's an illustration I did of my real '57...please note how I did the hood rockets...I "halved" them...and mounted 400" emblems on the half side that was facing out...perfect place for it...and still maintained the look of the hood spear....subtle but not the same as all other '57's. I have not seen another done like this in all my years of car events.

You have my permission to use this as yours...should you desire...

R-

[​IMG]

23. brewsir

brewsir

Thanks but it's too late now.....almost half the hood is smoothed off. I started at the front cutting about a six inch section off and filled it with some leftover sheetmetal from my 56 olds fender scraps! Should be done in a couple of days.....then I am going to peak the center of the hood. Trying to stay late 50's custom.

24. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Is that the unrestored wagon?

25. brewsir

brewsir

Depends...fresh engine,rebuilt front suspension with power disc brakes...not really unrestored but not finished yet!

26. T-Roy

T-Roy

brewsir,
    any updated pics to share of your car?

27. belair

belair

You can cut the top fin down on the rocket (the hood ornaments) to make it less prominent. Pretty subtle though, may not be enough for what you want. Danchuk sells a chrome dome-shaped cap to eliminate the rocket and keep the scoops. I've seen cuverd pipe used to smooth over the blisters. Or you do every kid's fantasy and stick machine guns in there. That's my favorite!

28. brewsir

brewsir

AAAH yes....I ended up with a new hood skin from a 58 caddy...subtle peak,and smoooth. I have had to change the motor due to parts falling out of the engine at high RPM....then when that was done I decided to swap in a T5 from an s10...still working on it in my spare time (if I don't sell it first!)

Attached Files:

29. mikes51

mikes51

Sorry, poor photo. I recall seeing your car (not realizing it was yours) and thinking, man, there is some work in that car with all that glass!

[​IMG]

30. T-Roy

T-Roy

Wow! I missed seeing Brewsir, that you had answered with some updated pictures. That turned out really KooL! Buick grilles look so bitchin' in '57s...

Nice work man!