Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Snapshots from the Road

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Jul 26, 2019.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Snapshots from the Road

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

On the road again,
    Just can't wait to get on the road again,,,,,,,,,,

We been stuck with a 10 mile home radius, from Family issues, for some time But in two weeks we head out to a road we have taken many, many times. Some of it terrible, going through Vegas, some of it beautiful- the Narrows on 93, much of it boring - The whole way up the Eastern side of Nevada. But it is when you peak White Horse Summit and start to drop into Wendover and you see the white of the Bonneville Salt Flats, it make it all worth while.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Thank you for taking us along, it appears you have visited a few unique places. HRP

4. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Appreciate the ride along and the good memories it brought back of growing up in the late 40's and early 50's and the road trips our family took. I thourly enjoyed thru your eyes thanks again Frank

5. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I see you went through Crescent City, love the Fresnel lens!
    Lots of great stuff. There's nothing like traveling the back roads of America.

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Slick ford, bet he’s a member.

7. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

What is the name of that beautiful blue color on your car.
    That really looks good on that car.

Jimbo

8. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

9. teach'm

teach'm
    from Tucson, AZ

You are living the dream @J.Ukrop!!

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We did the 101 part of that trip up to Florence before turning inland after going to TROG at Pismo Beach. My wife didn't quite understand my fascination with all of the photo op stops including driving though the Chandelier tree and going to the gift shop there that was the same as it was when I was there in 1962 when I was 15 and on a family road trip in my dad's 57 Olds with the tri power J-2 in it. I think you were at the Shrine tree or the Kalalamath tree though. Did you go far enough up the California coast to stop at the trees of Mystery? that was another stop my wife didn't quite understand but she liked the gift shop. I remember that when I was a kid they would wire a cardboard sign to your bumper to show that you had been there. IMG_2173 (2).JPG IMG_2186.JPG

11. sololobo

sololobo

great historic stuff, takes me back to some old family trips. The 47 Ford coupe is a fabulous little hot rod, very tasty. Enjoyed the trip with you guys, thanx

12. jnaki

jnaki

Hello J,
    When we were little, our dad took us almost everywhere up and down the western coast line. He was not into going too far inland (or other states), other than to his favorite Lake Crowley/Mammoth Lakes area every year, for opening day. Your story brings up a lot pleasant memories while on the road. Being little kids, there were plenty of times just staring out of the scenery through the side windows, not knowing that many years later those trips would be done over and over again in our 20 something lives. (and even into the retirement days…)
    upload_2019-7-31_3-8-38.png 1958
    My dad always took his 4x5 Graflex Camera and his trusty 16mm movie camera to record his own family history. When we used to string up the little film reels and play the vacation road trips over on a huge screen at home, he was proud of his family history preservation. Besides, after 1958, the two brothers no longer went on family road trips. #1 we were too big for the back seat on long road trips, #2 we had our own cars for various “teenage” road trips.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/family-photo-album.1027947/page-13#post-13133102

Jnaki

My brother and I always said a silent thanks to both of our parents for taking us all over the Westcoast road trips/vacations. When we were little, it did not matter what time of the year it was, off to Baja or San Francisco and the Redwood Forests beyond.

When we were in school, the road trips had to be coordinated with the school vacation days. So, it was mostly summer road trips. Before then, he went with his friends on those freezing opening day trout escapades, at Lake Crowley, in his 1949 Eddie Bauer down, feather weight, puffy jacket to keep warm. One time, our school "Easter Vacation" was close enough for a family trip to those freezing trout fishing days. Once was enough for the three of us, but our dad kept going until he could not drive those long distance cruises.

To me, that is the epitome of long distance road trip dedication, in the great American-made cruisers like the big Buick sedans from 1949-68. It happened every year, until it was no longer possible for the old guy. But, we remember…

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020