Register now to get rid of these ads!

SnapperHead Coupe - 1934 Frame Build - Part11: 'C' Notching the rear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bored&Stroked, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Worked on the frame over the weekend - to install 'C Notches' for rear suspension clearance. My frame rails didn't have notches from ASC - and I've been planning to add them all along.

1) Notch Material - Go With 1/4" : I was going to bend up a piece of 10-gauge material (same thickness as the frame rails, but decided to use two 1/4" C-Notches that I purchased from the 'Welder Series' guys. After thinking about it, I think the thicker material is a good thing - makes the notch area stronger . . . as you're taking a pretty good 'bite' out of the frame. Also, having the 1/4" thick notches gave me enough material to radius the ends and edges nicely - the end result really looks formed, not fabbed.

2) 1/2" Plate Stiffener - Welded Inside the Frame Rail: When I originally started the frame - before I put the boxing plates in, I bent a piece of 1/2" thick material to weld into the outside frame rail - right above the C-Notch area. I welded it in the the frame and also had 4 rosette welds on the outside. This is important - it really strengthens the C-Notch area . . . I'd highly recommend something similar in any notched frame.

CNotchStiffener.jpg

3) Measure Once Again - Using the Spring Hanger Bracket: I grabbed one of my 1/2" spring hanger brackets and sort of mocked things up - just to make sure the notch was in the correct location. I'd originally marked the boxing plates with the location - wanted to double check.

SpringHanger copy.jpg

4) Cutout the Notches:
    I marked the rails with a black felt pen and used a plasma cutter to do the initial cut out. Then I used a carbide rotary file in my air grinder to finish the cutout, get the radius exactly right and the fitment the way I wanted it. Notice the 1/2" stiffener on the outside of the frame rail. The 1/4" notch plate butts up against the stiffener - keeps things as strong as possible.

Cutout1 copy.jpg

CutOut3 copy.jpg

5) Tig Welded in Place - Used 160 Amps: Wanted to make sure I had a lot of heat to ensure a good penetration of the weld into the 1/4" notch plate. I beveled the C-Notch edges so there was plenty of gap for the weld to fill - as I would finish grind the outside of the rails.

TackedinPlace copy.jpg

OutsideWelded copy.jpg

Will post up above - the finished results . . .

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
    BoostCoupe likes this.
  2. 1) Finishing: I used an air grinder and a rotary file to radius all the edges.

Also, I wanted the inside of the frame rail to show the 'edge' of the C-Notch to match the frame 'step boxing'. I hung the C-Notch material past the boxing plate to align with the edge of the frame rail. When I shaped the edge, I did so to make the remaining edge about the same width as the frame rail (about 1/8"). It makes it look as if it was formed when the rail was formed.

I liked the way they came out - they don't look like they were grafted in at all. I'm pleased as this is the first time I've done C-Notches . . . wasn't too dramatic.

Total time for both sides - about 12 hours. (I know - I'm slow :eek: )

Finished1 copy.jpg

Finished2 copy.jpg

Finished3 copy.jpg

Finished4 copy.jpg

Finished5 copy.jpg

3. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice job, looks clean.. Like it belongs there.. Well played!

4. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

No, you can't tell at all. It looks great!

5. Thanks guys . . . pretty simple stuff, but sometimes just seeing how somebody else does something helps somebody out. I try to share just about everything I'm doing -- might help the next guy who is hacking away on his frame like I am!

6. Roadsir

Roadsir

Really nice work.

7. Nice work Dale....looks great !

Check your email...

Rat