Register now to get rid of these ads!

Snap-On Tool Chest?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ferrarone, Nov 2, 2010.

1. ferrarone

ferrarone

Hey everyone,

I bought a chest at the local flea market here for $40 down from $50, and the seller swore up and down that it was a genuine Snap-On chest from the 60's. I'm not well versed in Snap-On products but I could tell it was a high quality box and has "MADE IN CANADA" stamped on the back.

But is it really Snap-On? The front handle made me think it was either a post 60's Snap-On, or not Snap-On at all. I've looked all over the box and could not seem to find a serial number on the box itself, but did find a number on the lock: K625.

Anyone have an idea on the maker and year of the box?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

Looks like a Kennedy or maybe a cheaper Waterloo. Could be a Blue Point, Snap-On's lower line. But Definately not a Snap-On.

3. ferrarone

ferrarone

Thanks for the quick reply 1950Effie. I was hoping to find out who the maker was by using the number on the lock as a starting point, but no luck so far.

4. 38zephyr

38zephyr

I think it's a Snap Off

5. ferrarone

ferrarone

Well that's not helping.

6. David Allen

David Allen

I've got my dads '57 snap-on rollaway. It has the date and Snap-on stamped on the rear lower panel. I'd guess a newer box would also have the date and brand. Just a thought.

7. I think Skidmarks has it right. Here's an MBC bottom box purchased in about 1971 and a Snap-on top and bottom box purchased in about 1965. The MBC box is very much like the snap-on box except for the trim.<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Attached Files:

8. Why have that much concern of who made it? You can't go buy a new toolbox that size for that price. The good Lord knows I haven't.
    I would be cotton pickin' proud to have that piece on my workbench for my home tools, not at work tools, for that look and price, and I know how to spend work tool and toolbox money. Some guys have the need to spend more than I have.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the drawer pulls are the big indicator that it isn't a SnapOn. My old beat up early 70's SnapOn box has drawer handles like RBrownlow has on his.
    [​IMG]

10. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

handles look craftsman to me, but theyre american not canadian. ask here --> garagejournal.com theyll have an answer in afew min.

11. One Finger John

One Finger John

Mr48chev, I want your tool box. Hasn't moved in a long while, drawers crammed with tools, and tastefully stained with the proper "patina".

A true working mans tool box.

John

12. Well said, John. I love that photo. It speaks volumes about the jobs those tools have been involved with over many years. If that toolbox could talk, imagine the stories it could tell......Don.:)

13. cadman89

cadman89

I purchased all my boxes from the Snap-On truck back in 1971-72.
    The top box has a blue logo and the bottom box has trim down the side.
    The little side cabinet is not Snap-On The handles on the sides of the top two boxes are the same as MR48chev
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cadman

14. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

doesn't look Snap-on to me!

15. Made in Canada, it might be a Mastercraft ( Canadian Tire Brand). They would be OEM'd by someone else but not sure whom. It does look like the style CTC used to sell with that style of drawer pulls

16. ferrarone

ferrarone

Hey guys, I really appreciate all the help you've given me on finding out who made this. I've got a really good start and will post my findings when and if I nail it down. I want to bang out some of the dents in the top, fix some sloppy drawers, and blast and paint this. If I can find out who made it I will be able to buy the correct manufacturer's badge thats missing on the front.

Oh, and I'm all about patina, I'm just not feeling it with this box.

17. dirty4

dirty4

I would be happy to give you your money back on that box...let me know if you want to sell it!

18. ask JERRY on here he will know who what and where about that box,and knowing Jerry might be able to tell ya the retail price and what its really worth,either way ya got a steal.................

19. special-k

special-k

The most common canadian made tool box is Beach IIRC. They are made in Smith Falls Ont and are part of Stanley. I think MAC is part of Stanley so maybe he got the two confused.

20. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

21. 55nailhead

55nailhead

Beach was a very common Candian brand but would have a diamond shaped logo eiether stamped in the cover or rivited on.

Lots of the CTC Candian tire tool boxes are rebadged waterloo's

22. looks like an MBC box. who made a lot of tool boxes for different companies.

23. willburton7

willburton7

looks like a proto box or Kennedy box to me.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It has more than a few stories to tell including the one where a coworker at Midas let a four post hoist down on an open drawer and bent the slide.

Bought from Jack Swingler the SnapOn dealer in Waco, Tx in about 1972/3 and hauled from one shop to another over the next 30 years. It's been in it's nest in the corner for the past 8-1/2 years but sure needs to be cleaned up and straightened out. The garage it is in is about 75 years old or older and was built by my grandfather.

25. BEACH! That's the one I couldn't remember! Thanks!