Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Snake & Mongoose - The Movie.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by primerkid, Jul 29, 2013.

1. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really want to like this movie but I am afraid of all of the fake drama that was probably added by Hollywood. I mean, I know there was drama in real life, but I wonder how much was just made up to fit some formula.

2. COUPES

COUPES
    from England

Its about time they made this movie and i hope the director and film flunkys haven't cocked it up. Trailer looks cool!! Hope it comes over to the UK.

3. belair

belair

Hope it's good. Been a long time between good drag racing movies.

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

As a young male, the Snake V/S Mongoose rivalry was the inspiration and motivation to follow drag racing. Older guys will remember that at one time the only way to watch drag racing was to either go to a track (if you lived near one) or catch a 4 month old rerun on the Wide World of Sports. Even then, being able to get Hot Wheels of the snake and Mongoose was the best thing ever.

My buddies and I used to race anything with wheels. Wagons, home made go-carts, bicycles... whatever. During the height of the rivalry we often chose who would be the Snake and who would be the Mongoose! It was a blast. Everyone of us had that Hot Wheels set.

If the film comes to Houston, I'm in. I didn't hang out with either driver, so if there's drama in the film, who am I to say it's fake or not? I'd just like to see some good racing re-enactments.

Drag racing, in Senso-Round should be pretty bad ass. Hell, it's got to be better than "The Lone Ranger".:eek: But then, what wouldn't.

5. A buddy of mine used to own the old "Hippie Hemi" Plymouth Duster funny car that was campaigned back in the day by "Pop Witt" (sp?). I got lucky and was invited to help with pit crew duties at two exhibition runs that my friend was doing (yes, it was a BLAST!). I have never experienced anything like straddling the frame rails and hanging that big starter motor on the blower snout and making that engine come to life!!!

He sold the Hippie Hemi about 3 years ago to someone out on the west coast who said that it was going to make a "replica" of McEwen's Mongoose funny car and to tour the country with it. Wonder if this is the "replica" in the movie???

If you google image search on Pop Witt and/or Hippie Hemi, it was in the lime green configuration when my friend owned it.

6. snaptwo

snaptwo

I'm waiting for the nitro smellavision , without it ,it can't be the same . The story that Snake and Goose told at CHRR several years ago was priceless. I hope the director doesn't muck it up with "stuff"

7. I'm hoping that it'll be decent, but if any of the recent car movies are any indication, I'm not holding my breath. Prudhomme and McEwen were technical advisors on the movie, so I'm holding out hope that it'll be accurate.

My brother and I used to get into some knockdown, drag-out fights as to who was going to be the Snake whenever we used to play with our Hot Wheels Snake and the Mongoose drag track. Years later, I found out that it wasn't a bad thing at all to be the Mongoose. McEwen could definitely get into Prudhomme's head and mess with him. The Snake was super intense and hated to lose, and McEwen was more relaxed.

8. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

The trucks for the movie sure got my blood going. How cool are these?

Attached Files:

9. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Hey that's come's out on my wife's birthday. I'm sure she's gonna love the surprise! :eek:

10. HunterYJ

HunterYJ
    from Buda Texas

Damn, Austin's not on the list- yet. I'll have to get the gang together for a roadtrip to Dallas or Houston to see this.
    Who cares if it is 100% accurate or the Academy doesn't nominate it for an award, it's the Snake the Mongoose on the big screen!

11. strike a poser

strike a poser
    from Salinas,CA

I was at Cole Foster's a week or two ago and he was showing my son and I the English leather Mongoose body that he just finished up repairs and a repaint on after filming. Seems they buggered it up while filming and needed fixing before returning to the NHRA museum. Very cool to see up close like that. Oh, he did a great job on it, you would never know anything ever happened to it.

12. heard about the drama with the Snakes transport.....didn't know that the Mongoose's was still around (found)....cool....have the 1/16? Mongooose unbuilt model.....one day I'm going to build it.....

13. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

I love how they CGI'd the famous Lion's Drag Strip catwalk and timing tower onto a modern dragstrip. It shows that they're making an effort at accuracy.

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

NHRA was involved in production. everyone needs to watch their local listings for August 9 special release and Sept 6 for general opening - then post info here.

15. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

The Snake and the Mongoose haulers will be in Reno for the movie premier on August 9,but unfortunately, Snake is selling both both haulers at a Barrett Jackson auction later this year.

http://news.barrett-jackson.com/category/press/

I was hoping they would end up in the NHRA Museum.

16. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I was at the PRA Challenge in Tulsa, Labor Day weekend in 1972. I had gotten my driver's license only two weeks before. Got a pit pass and was able to get right up to the Snake and the Mongoose. They talked to spectators, teased each other (mostly Tom teasing Don) and made cracks about each other's engine builders. It was a great weekend and the stands were packed.

Here is a little more info

http://www.dragracingonline.com/special/ahra_history_2_4.html

17. WWinIL

WWinIL

Last nite (sunday,july 29), during the NHRA race finals at Sonoma on ESPN a short preview of the movie was shown. Current drivers Ron Capps and Alexis DeJoria (you know,current wife of a well known,motorcycle,car builder) have cameos. I believe Ron Capps plays Lou Baney in the movie.

18. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Damn! No MN early opening. It looks better than most of what comes out, I'm excited to see it!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. oddcraig

oddcraig

I reckon it will be a while before it hits our fair shores :p

20. WWinIL

WWinIL

My guess would be by the end of this years NHRA season (mid November), it will be available on DVD.

21. My buddy was on McEwen's crew and grew up with those guys in the early years - I'm hoping to go with him to the movie but wonder if he will be able to sit threw it. Should be interesting.... talk about some amazing crazy ass stories!

22. Any movie with drag racing history drama or not Im in!

Centurion9 likes this.
  23. cole

cole

I take the 5th!

24. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

This combines my 3 loves in life.... Mopars, Drag racing and Hotwheels. I will own this movie!

25. paintcan54

paintcan54

Looks like I will get to see it as it's playing in INDY.

26. That's what I'm thinking!
    /pk

27. murfman

murfman

Me too UNTIL I saw Jungle Pam! I found a whole new level of inspiration there.

28. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Can't wait to see it, but Ive already spotted fuck ups in the trailer. The major error is what looks like a copy & paste background image of Lions with a late model white Chevy truck mirror imaged, cmon, really? Oh well, beggars can't be choosers.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

29. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

my favorite past time drag racing, hope the movie is as good as the restored trucks look,,,,last drag race movie i remember was heart like a wheel ???? about time us car guys get some love,,,,lol