Register now to get rid of these ads!

Snagged a couple '36 International trucks!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LT4 Hawk 9, Jul 5, 2009.

1. LT4 Hawk 9

LT4 Hawk 9

Just made a deal on these two trucks last week. We are going to go pick them up either Saturday or else the first part of August.:)

[​IMG]

One is a longer hood, one short like the pickups. I plan (at this point...but it keeps changing:D) to use the long hood, best cab and best grill to build a pickup. I'm thinking of a 3.5" rear, 4" front chop, modifying the truck fenders to close up the wheel opening (I like the looks of these trucks with fenders), making a bed and finding some rear fenders to work, and sitting it as close to the ground as the fenders will allow. Flat black with red steelies and chrome IH baby moon hubcaps. I've got a fresh SBC 383 stroker and a reverse manual valve body 700r4 to slap in it. I also have an S-10 chassis if that'll work for me.

First things first though, I gotta get them home, get rid of all but the bodies, then strip the wood from the cab and start replacing it with a metal framework, and get to chopping it. I've only messed with Scouts prior to this, and I am really looking forward to this project! Many progress pics will follow if there is interest. Many questions will also follow!:eek:

2. bigchuckstud

bigchuckstud

When you get done with selecting the parts your going to use please pm me, i need a wind shield frame and some other misc parts thanks chuck

3. LT4 Hawk 9

LT4 Hawk 9

[​IMG]

That, laying there on the cowl, is the remains of the bottom of the windshield frame that is on one of these. The other isn't much better. I'm going to have to make my own.

Most, if not all, of the remaining parts are going to be chassis/running gear related. I'm gonna be stingy with the sheetmetal and stuff like that. I may build 2 trucks if I have enough bones leftover from the first.:)

4. LT4 Hawk 9

LT4 Hawk 9

I just figured out what it says on the dash (I didn't take the interior pics)...
    "ARE ALL MEN SEATED"
    That's gotta remain, right there.:cool:

[​IMG]

5. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Wow! Those are cool. Lotsa good stuff there. What are your plans?

6. LT4 Hawk 9

LT4 Hawk 9

To quote myself from the original post:
    ...and I gotta make myself a visor after seeing yours, too.:cool::D

7. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Cool trucks, I like your ideas except for the Flat Black and Red Wheels...How about a factory IH color? Like Red? I know the Scouts had a couple nice colors too, or the older IH tractors were painted a nice dark grey color...just some ideas..

8. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Your not gonna run a tractor grille too? I dunno... I would rethink the s10 chassis idea. These early Intl's are a sweet truck and even though they're not a ford, it would still make a better hotrod than a r*trod...;)

9. LT4 Hawk 9

LT4 Hawk 9

The bodies are really pitted up, and I don't want to have a lot of money in paint and body work. I may do something different than flat black, but I doubt it. We ran a trucking company for 15 years that had black and red trucks...so I'm kinda partial to the combo. Besides, I have too many "pretty" vehicles I have to clean and keep waxed up now. I want something I'll only feel like I have to wash a couple times a year out of this build.:)

10. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

If you look at the track width to the cab width, an S10 frame will not come out pretty. Their main rails are the same as track width.

To me the frame swap seems kinda sacreligious anyway, International is notoriously heavy duty. S10 is notoriously not. Vehicles are always end up cooler when they embrace what they are. In this case, you need to embrace sturdiness.

Good luck with the project.

PS- Satin is actually higher maintenance. Even with low standards. Been there done that.

11. LT4 Hawk 9

LT4 Hawk 9

If it ain't black, it'll be dark green with black fenders. That's how my grandad's trucks were painted at his company that started in the '30's. I'm still elaning towards black/red, though.

12. LT4 Hawk 9

LT4 Hawk 9

I'll have to look at the S-10 frame idea. It's buried in weeds right now.:eek: I think the frame from the IH's is gonna be too heavy, since they are bigger models than the C-1 pickup. I'm not sure what models they even are at this point. I don't want to go to the expense/time to build my own frame either, which is what led me to think about the abandoned S-10 frame we have behind my shop. From the sound (width) of it, I may have to build my own frame, yet.:(

13. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

That would look sweet. Very sweet.

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

My guess is that was directed to the guys riding in the back, were these highway, or public works trucks at one time?

15. LT4 Hawk 9

LT4 Hawk 9

I assume that as well, 37Kid. The guy I got them from said he bought them from a guy that used them in the hills for logging. Prior to that, I don't know.

Forgive me for my (lack of) photo editting skills (and software!), but this is a QUICK rendering of the longer hood, green/black combo with a chopped top. I'm not sure I like it. I'll have to get the truck mocked up in person to decide, I guess.
    [​IMG]

16. oj

oj

Gotta love the old internationals. Nice find. I could use a part or two, sent you a pm.

17. LT4 Hawk 9

LT4 Hawk 9

Berryville?!?! Shoot, we might park beside each other sometime! We went to a truck show up there probably 15 or 20 years ago.

18. I love the front grills on those trucks.. one of my all time favs.. good luck man and if you wanna get rid of that other front grill i'd gladly take it off your hands :)

19. unibody

unibody

Gotta love those Binders, very nice find!

20. LT4 Hawk 9

LT4 Hawk 9

No...I'm even working on a third grill, just to hang on the wall. That's what turns me on to them as well.:D

21. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

Hell of a score. Pitted or not the sheetmetal is actually still there which is hard to find. Green and black would look sweet. Definitely shy away from the flatblack/s10 chassis idea.

22. LT4 Hawk 9

LT4 Hawk 9

The running boards and panels between them and the cabs are toast, otherwise the sheetmetal looks to be pretty well intact...it looks like a golf ball with all the pits, but it is all there. I'm gonna get it home and start mocking stuff up as soon as possible, then decide what to do for a frame and bed, etc. the final decision on paint will come later on for sure, but I'm still thinking that black and red would look good.:confused:

23. mr.smith

mr.smith

cool find, keep us updated

24. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

cool score post more pics old trucks are way coool

25. ...36 Chevy truck rear fenders go well with these trucks, I think Speedway sells em in "glass...

26. LT4 Hawk 9

LT4 Hawk 9

Thanks for that tip!

27. richardlw

richardlw

Interesting posts.

I'm on my way to look at a 36 International pickup in the morning.

28. LT4 Hawk 9

LT4 Hawk 9

We're gonna take the Kenworth and 53' drop deck up for these two on Saturday...right before I leave on vacation for a week, unable to work on them at all.

29. PRoz

PRoz

hmm, those trucks look like the one I have sitting waiting for it's turn in the garage.
    Nice stuff.

30. strait2u

strait2u

Nice find, LT4. Media blast the bodies and put a thick coat of primer/filler on 'em and the pits will all but disappear.

Think twice about switching to an S-10 chassis, please... I would stay with a straight drop axle and 'z' the frame. You'll run into trouble mounting the fenders/grille/hood if you change the frame much.