Register now to get rid of these ads!

Smooth a firewall WITHOUT welding?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stevie Nash, Oct 6, 2010.

1. phat rat

phat rat

Wiley Coyote

2. I see that now.................:D

3. choptvan

choptvan

that is a REAL hack job you get there. God damn. Lapping metal over metal? Really? Did you repair your rust the same way? And it looks like you ripped the side off of a shed? Really? Was it also galvanized cuz that would have been cool as hell! HA

4. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Google how to gas weld steel aluminum copper stainless, there are some excellent demos on the web. The true masters weld with gas. Spend a cold rainy shitty weekend watching video on the web. I've been a certified welder for 30 years and I still go looking for tips and techniques, todays fun adventure was tig welding copper and polishing out the seams. You can use body panel adhesive and rivet it, there is nothing wrong with the structural integrity of properly done rivets especially if done with the adhesive. You can use a mickey welder or a tig or a smaw stick. What ever it takes to get a nice professional safe result.

5. driver n the wind

driver n the wind
    from ashland ky

u say u have access to a welder, do u have a torch set, if so braze it, there again it is not rocket science and is a even easier skill to master. then when u get fairly decent using a brazing rod u can use a steel coat hanger and weld it in the same manor as brazing, custom exhaust shops do it all the time. do it right once and move on to the next step on your project, then in a yr or su u can reflect and say damx i am glad i DID IT RIGHT..............

good luck and keep the rubber down

6. DougHH

DougHH

heh i instantly saw lace paint before reading the caption and thought what's lace paint got to do with it.

a lace paint firewall could look pretty rad if done right actually..... hmmmm.....