Register now to get rid of these ads!

Smokey Yunick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36 ROKIT, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Tim Cowan

Tim Cowan

Smokey was the best of the best for his time era. It was Junior Johnson in 69 and Lee Roy that made the rule changes in NASCAR with the out the rear exh. pipes.

2. --------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm with you on that! I enjoyed that part of the book as much as the rest. His WWII exploits alone would have made a great movie. :)

Phil

3. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

Yes, and any pet owner will be moved by his "Seven Rose Bushes" story, I think that is the title. A real guy that Smokey.

4. Yeah, that one puts a tear in your eye. The guy loved his dogs.

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can anyone tell me why the Amazon book id 100 bucks while the one from his own site is only 25?
    I would like to know if there different and if so what one to go for. Id rather give my money to the family than Amazon but I want the best if there different.

Wasn't it Jerry Eckman (Sp?) who's cars oil reservoir exploded because of a Nitrous bottle in it? Got something like a 2 year ban!
    I remember watching races where there were the 'nitrous' backfires through the carbs with the tell tale blast of flame on the line. Must have been common, I read that some plumbed it into the hood supports with holes drilled so it was just pumped into the air being inducted. But I'm guessing the car was already tuned to run with it!
    Doc.

6. RAY With

RAY With

Wasn't it Jerry Eckman (Sp?) who's cars oil reservoir exploded because of a Nitrous bottle in it? Got something like a 2 year ban!

Yes, that's correct but he was in the pits when it blew. He received a $25,000 fine and permanent ban & couldn't race. He did several appeals and he finally got permission from NHRA. The problem was he was broke and didn't have the $25,000 to pay the fine.
    He had lost sponsors and was basically broke to begin with and no one wanted to be associated with his name. Bottom line was he never paid the fine and I don't think he did any more prostock racing.

7. 3406kris

3406kris

There are 2 types of his books. The cheap one is paperback and has fewer pictures. The pricier one is a 3 book set with more photos, etc. Same story in both.

His book is required reading for a car guy. If you don't enjoy it, I can't imagine why you're on this site. ;)

8. Man....if that doesn't say it all!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

His book is required reading for a car guy. If you don't enjoy it, I can't imagine why you're on this site. ;)[/QUOTE]

9. budd

budd

how many guys have a smokey ram intake sitting on a shelf in there shop?, what other speed parts did he build?

10. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Damn-Gar...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246901224&sr=1-4 Here is the correct set of books. There's a smaller cheaper book out there that people are getting mixed up with. Anyway, it looks like its back up to $95. That's a downer, they actually had it on sale for $68 last month when I bought it. One of the books concentrates on his life, while the others talk about people he knew and how he really felt about them. That's how come he didn't want these published while he was still alive. One of the books goes on quite a bit about inventions and innovations: bellhousing superchargers using the clutch/pressure plate as a Turbo impellar, cowl induction and Smokey Ram development, a clutchless Hurst shifter that operated on cams and cables (one of my favorites!) where the pull-back shifting action disengages and re-engages the clutch during the gear change. There's many other similar things that just make for great reading.

11. tyunick

tyunick

I've seen web referrals from this message board over the years, but y'all have kept me busy today. Thank you! Since there's some confusion about the differences in the books, let me explain:
    Racer's edition- currently in it's 5th printing, paperbound, 1100 pages, 11 pounds, 3 individual volumes tucked in a slipcase. $95. retail, available at most bookstores, Amazon, and direct.
    Collector's edition- single edition of 2000 copies, same three books, but hardbound and numbered. Accompanied by a corresponding signed, numbered certificate. $275. retail, only available directly from SmokeyYunick.com
    Pocket edition- 400ish pages, 7.5" x 9.", weighs 4 pounds. ALL THE STORIES from the original 3 volume set, just a more traditional "bookstore" book. You are missing 75 photographs in this one.
    Sex Lies and Superspeedways is 6.5 hours of stories (CD) from his books read by John DeLorean.
    More Sex Lies and Superspeedays is 7.5 hours of different stories (CD) read by a variety of racing personalities.

I couldn't begin to explain Amazon's sales theories1 They put the Racer's on sale every so often (never free shipping 'cause it's HEAVY). If Amazon has it on sale, go for it! If you get your local bookshop to order it for you, you don't pay shipping. Of course you can always order directly from the website or call me.

The books are wordy and profane. Smokey's thought was that he and the reader were sitting on the back porch chatting. It's really just like hearing him talk, repetition and profanity alike. The CDs shouldn't be listened to with your kids or preacher around, for sure.

Thank you for the great stories today, I've enjoyed checking out the board.
    Trish Yunick, Carbon Press

12. Thanx Trish-

Well....there you have it. You won't get a better source than that.
    If your ever in the Daytona area you owe it to yourself to go in her store, see her and buy Smokeys' books and other stuff right where it comes from. It's much more personal when it's handed to you by his daughter. I sure enjoyed my visit!
    Phil (Hoosiers from hell tour-2008)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009