Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Smoke out the tail pipes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ahshoe, Nov 21, 2021.

1. So it seems like your head gaskets are doing a good job. Of those 250 miles on the motor, how many of those miles were short trips with a cold motor vs how many were fully warmed up? Can you detect any lessening of the white "smoke" once fully warmed up?
    I'm kind of wondering if maybe you should put some more 'hot' miles on it to see what that does. That, along with monitoring all fluid levels, can indicate either no problem or a particular problem.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  2. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Like Mark said, run your finger around in the exhaust and smell it if you don't want to taste it. Your saying blowby, might be oil smoke. Possibly rings or guides. Lippy

3. jaracer

jaracer

Do you realize that when you re-torque things like head bolts that you have to loosen them first? When you just put a torque wrench on the bolt and try to turn it you first have to overcome break-away torque. That's why you have to loosen them first. If you want to find out if they were lose, you can mark the head location with chalk or paint and see if the marks line up after they are pulled to torque.

4. 6sally6

6sally6

I am ashamed to admit it but.........I used this stuff on my daughters ...."Shivel-lay's failed experiment" car and...it worked! For about a year it solved her overheating/smoking (somewhat) issues. After a year we drove it to the junkyard for 100 bucks.
    It DID work!
    6sally6

5. Slopok

Slopok

He shouldn't need to put any snake oil into a new crate engine! :eek:

6. The vac modulator is an obvious suspect. Good call ^^^^^

if it is smoking/steaming out the tail pipe because of a busted head gasket the simple test is to pull the radiator cap and light it off. If its busted into a cylinder when you lift the cap it will turn into a fire boat.

[​IMG]

7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

It's a stick shift. Lippy

8. well that rules out the vac modulator. LOL

9. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Talking about smoke out the tailpipes. I was converting a 39 ford over to a small block via adaptor to the ford box and wanted a cheap engine just to get it on the road and drive for awhile. I found a $150 283 or whatever it was, took it home and got it running. It over heated right away and smoked the whole neighborhood down. I thought thats what i get for going cheapo. Was upset , so went in the house to cool down i was so mad at myself. Got to thinking what is the most logical reason for it to overheat so fast. Ah ha, stuck thermostat perhaps. Pulled it out, looked pretty nasty, so put a new one in and fired it up. Ran cool and no smoke any more. What the heck is going on. Went to the rear of the car and low and behold i shot out 2 mouse nests made out of newspaper. So i went from super pissed off to happy within 15 minutes. Go figure.

WalkerMD likes this.
  10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Smoked mouse!!!!!! :D

11. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Some folks install the head gaskets backwards... this will leak coolant into the cylinders.
    Just something to look at.