Register now to get rid of these ads!

Smithy's or Cherry Bomb? Inline 6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by plym49, Mar 27, 2012.

1. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Porters might be nice but they seem to be a bit too pricy for my application. I think I will go with CB's if I can get a good price.

2. droptop 63

droptop 63
    from Texas

Another one for Porter.

3. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

i have a 22 inch(if i remember correctly) cherry bomb on my 223, sounds great and I won it brand new on ebay for $17 shipped to my door :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  4. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I've always ran either Cherry bombs or smitthys on everything. Smitthys are good if you just want a sound, Cherry bombs if you want a sound and a "tone" if that makes any sense. I run Cherry bombs on my '57, people always comment on how good it sounds. Smitthy's tend to be pretty quiet so a long of times they aren't much louder than a stock exhaust.

5. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

That's what I'm talkin' about!!! BTW I love your motor.

6. smithys,cherry bombs are a similar sound and design.glass pack,straight thru.I have cherry bombs on my flathead v8.awesome sound.The shorter the louder.

7. Cabbie

Cabbie
    from DeLand, FL

Ive had Smithy's, and cherry bombs on my 235. I hate the current sound with the cherry bombs, and am going back to the smithy's or straight pipes. I have 1 3/4" pipes, and it rapped way better with the Smithy's.

8. LAUNCHER

LAUNCHER

So many people have been misled by the so called "Original Smithys" mufflers. They sure made them look like the Originals right down to the hammertone paint job and the embossed Smithys logo. Well, What they did NOT do was to duplicate the inner core and packing. I sold the original Smithys and still have some that I have kept over the years. The inner core was perforated (just a tube with holes every 1/2 inch or so). When they made the reproductions they simply used what was available which is a louvered inside tube!...That is why they do not sound like the "Real Deal"!. The louvered core traps most of the sound whereas the holes in the originals let the good sounds go through. I was upset when they came out with the reproductions and I saw that they were not a true Smithy. Well, like they say " You can't beat The Real Thing".