Register now to get rid of these ads!

Smallest power booster?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48ford, Mar 6, 2010.

1. 48ford

48ford

I need help.
    Do to age and medical problems I find that It will be safer for all if I put a power booster on the brakes.
    The car is a 46 ford with swing peddle.
    What is the smallest booster anyone has found?
    And don't start beating on me ,the state of Ohio gave me the O.K. to drive so I don't want to here it.
    thanks Russ

2. aaggie

aaggie

The smallest conventional vacuum powered units are 7" diameter. Speedway and others sell a smaller electric motor boosted units.
    Why would you want the smallest when there is plenty of room in your car for even the largest units out there? Either way you need to look at the rest of your braking system and match the booster to your installed brake type.

3. there are some pretty small aftermarket boosters, IMHO they are not all that effective. I get plenty of complaints of not enough assist on hard long stops. Short light to moderate stops they seem to work well enough, but not OEM type where the assist is increasing but rather all at once and gives up from there.

I have been using the Ford Ranger booster from the 80s with really good success. It's 9" in diameter and fairly short. Here is one right out of the box installed on a 39 Olds we did.

[​IMG]

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If by smallest you mean diameter vs length, there are two possibilities that come to mind. If you already have power steering, you could look into the hydraulic power brake booster that use the p/s pump for boost pressure. These are found on a variety of Ford and GM applications.

The other is and electric booster, also sourced from GM applications. I am sorry to not be specific as to exact year, make and model, but I don't have those details at hand...........besides, you'll enjoy the research. I'd start by finding a old fashioned parts house with people older than 17 and who have some experience. That's actually the hardest part of this to solve.

Ray

5. Russ
    I have a power steering pump & hydraulic booster that came off my rod - (it is about the size of a master cylinder) - too sensitive for me - pm me if interested and I will send you pm with pics and details. Headed out for the day.
    Ed

6. TOM-KAT38

TOM-KAT38

Chevette. 7 in. diameter, easy to mount, almost any GM master cylinder fits. Good luck, Tom

7. geo metro is small and have seen then used on falcon brake upgrades.

8. BISHOP

BISHOP

I have run a 1975 corvette master cylinder, wich has no booster, on a 4 wheel disc brake nova. I had plenty of stopping power. Just saying.